"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,284
Need Help On Deciding?

I'm thinking of putting together a gift bag/ box of goodies for a good friend of ours. I can't decide what idea to go with. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

It was too late for me to order in time from Swiss Colony. So I thought instead to make up my own.

Idea #1... Gift box of Italian Sausages 6 links. 6 Chicken sausages. A nice block of cheese and crackers. All arranged in a purdy box. I can get the sausages freshly made today

Idea#2... Gift Bag with a Smoked Ham, some kind of cheese that will match up nicely with it.
Crackers? a special mustard? I have disposable 1Lb loaf pans. Would some kind of cake to go with either one be over kill?

I'm lousy at picking cheeses. Need help picking one..

What would you guys do?

Thank you

Munky.
__________________

__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,286
I #1...are you going to make the crackers??? That would be tremendous!
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I #1...are you going to make the crackers??? That would be tremendous!
I could probably make them. Why not? The only things are I'm out of dehydrated cherry tomatoes. Maybe make another kind? Ideas?

I just remembered that I have some beautiful tins. Christmas themed to boot. Some medium sized square. I'd have to check and see if I still have the small rounds ones. They're somewhere tucked way in the back of the top cupboard. Out of sight, out of mind.. If I can't find them I do have some cute little cardboard boxes that could be subbed.

Great idea Princess! Thankies.

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
I could probably make them. Why not? The only things are I'm out of dehydrated cherry tomatoes. Maybe make another kind? Ideas?

I just remembered that I have some beautiful tins. Christmas themed to boot. Some medium sized square. I'd have to check and see if I still have the small rounds ones. They're somewhere tucked way in the back of the top cupboard. Out of sight, out of mind.. If I can't find them I do have some cute little cardboard boxes that could be subbed.

Great idea Princess! Thankies.

Munky.
Onion crackers!!! And poppy seed or sesame seed.

You make such wonderful crackers! Shine your light!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Adding something homemade to a gift box makes it all that much more special! A nice quick bread/nut bread would be nice, but homemade crackers would be awesome and unique.

Adding something useful like a small cutting board for cheese would be nice too. (places like World Market/Cost Plus have cool stuff).
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Onion crackers!!! And poppy seed or sesame seed.

You make such wonderful crackers! Shine your light!
Woooo, Onion Crackers. Nice idea just bought some fresh Sesame seeds.

Ok, now were talking. Now to find a good recipe for them.

Thank you!

Munky.

Almost forgot .. Editing this post..

Should the cheese be the spreadable store bought kind. Or a nice little block?
I'm not a cheese conosuer (sp) have no idea what kind to look for.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Adding something homemade to a gift box makes it all that much more special! A nice quick bread/nut bread would be nice, but homemade crackers would be awesome and unique.

Adding something useful like a small cutting board for cheese would be nice too. (places like World Market/Cost Plus have cool stuff).
I'll check in the bread recipe section and see if I can find something. Thinking Apple something.. Clueless on what kind would go best for this.

Swiss Colony had a real nice marbled cheese cutting board. I wanted that bad boy! It's nice looking. Unfortunately we don't have the big time stores where I live to get a nice one. Maybe the grocery store or an ethnic market might have a small one.

Great idea thank you!

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,286
I like cheese blocks, a nice baby swiss or medium cheddar would be good. Or if you could swing some Stilton.

Found this recipe, you could leave out the hot chilies and cilantro. Onion Crackers | eCurry - The Recipe Blog
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I like cheese blocks, a nice baby swiss or medium cheddar would be good. Or if you could swing some Stilton.

Found this recipe, you could leave out the hot chilies and cilantro. Onion Crackers | eCurry - The Recipe Blog

LOL!!!!

I was just reading her recipe. Those look really good.
This is going to turn out to be a fancy box of goods :)

Thank you.

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:52 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
munky can make her own crackers! that is the most exciting news i've heard all day! your friends are Sooo lucky to know you--for many reasons, i'm sure, munky.:) how about some homemade coarse black pepper crackers, then? pepper crackers have the most fresh taste, with an irresistible bite to them--and great with or without toppings. christmas crackers! munky, they will be the hit of the party! (and whoever made them, of course)

you really can't go wrong with cheeses. all the ones already mentioned are good ones. you might want to add a few of the favorite spreadables also--like cheese balls( rolled in nuts), black olive tapenade, or pimento cheese spread. don't exactly know why that last is so popular--just is. hot pepper cheese is a crowd pleaser, too.
anyhow, munky, you and your homebaked crackers--the bomb!! :)
__________________

__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.