Need help with a turtle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
hi guys. a few months ago, my neighbor gave us a red eared slider hatchling, about the size of a silver dollar.

so far it has been kept in this tiny clear plastic box with an inch or so of water. we change the water every day when we feed him.

my wife and i figured our son would eventually forget about his "tuga" (i wanted to call him "cuff" in preparation for the addition of "link"), but he's still interested in his turtle, so i thought it cruel to keep the little beast in such a container.

does anyone have experience raising or caring for turtles?

i've done some research online, but i'd like to hear first hand knowledge if possible.

tia.

I took care of a slider for a customer of mine not too long ago. Aquired much the same way, too, when it was just a little thing. They had had it for twenty years and their son had long since moved on :LOL:!

The aquarium they brought me was its "travelling" setup, a ten gallon. I was told they keep it in a bigger one at home. Anyway, the aquarium gets half filled with water. There is a suction cup floating fake rock thing that gets attached to the aquarium for when the turtle wants to get out of the water and sun itself. The rocks adjust themselves to your water level and can probably be picked up at Petsmart type places. I kept Willie by a sunny window and they used a heat lamp at home. There is a special turtle food I fed Wille. He got ten pellets/day and fed in a separate large bowl. I left him in there about half an hour in the morning and all the pellets were eaten by that time. This bowl needed to have enough water in it so he could submerse himself when eating and regular tap water was OK. This keeps your aquarium cleaner.

Hope this helps. I figured Willie being twenty+ years old..... they must know what they're doing :)

willie.jpg

I think I'm finally getting my turtle for Christmas. (shh I know nothing!)
This thread is gonna be great! Thanks!

sorry, thought you wanted recipes or techniques. Maryland "Tarpin" used to be a regional specialty.

Wow, twenty plus years old!

I wish cats lived that long.
My eldest cat just turned 21 on Friday, Lee. I heard 26 was close to the top but with exceptions. Mine is half-blind, half-deaf but with a good appetire and likes to go for her daily constitutional. And boy do I get glared at if her favourite rug isn't on the lounge for her!!! :rolleyes:

:)You need to get his habitat going soon because right now he cant go any where or do anything.Maybe a companion would be nice as well.

Make sure to wash your hands well after handling the turtle, as they carry salmonella.
The only turtles my kids ever had were the terrapins that we found in the yard. They like chopped balogna or raw hamburger.

I have had water turtles before, usually little snappers. It is absolutely imperative that they have a place to sun and get dry, or they will get sick and die.

I generally hang a desk lamp over the tank, with an incandescent bulb, so there is heat and light--they really like that warm, dry spot.

Snappers like minnows--I usually bought them a dozen at a time, left a few to swim around in the tank (catch me if you can!), and put the rest in the freezer. I would think the slider would like them too.

They like worms, but you may have to cut them up for a little turtle. (Ick.)

thank you pacanis, qsis, jpmc, connie, and sparrowgrass.

squzie, good luck with it if you get one.

robo, this wouldn't even be enough for an amuse bouche. gotta fatten it up first. :cool:

bilby, you're, uh, kitty whipped. ;)

pacanis, that trained turtle is hysterical. thanks! :ROFLMAO:

i'll buy a 10 gallon tank the next time i have to go to petsmart for cat, parrot, and hermit crab food. probably next week. from what i've read, the rule of thumb is that you need 10 gallons for every inch of shell, so it'll be ok for now. also need to get gravel, the sunning rock, and a filter.

i wanted something larger, but we don't have the room. it has to fit on a shelf above the hermit crab cage.

i'll also utilize the little tank he's in now as the daily feeding tank.

and thanks for the suggestions, but i think we'll stick to pellets for now. :)
i really don't need my 3 year old making daddy a worm and minnow sandwich, then having a fit because i won't eat it.

i'll let you know how it is if i ever do. :sick:

Have fun Bucky! I've always wanted a turtle. I sure wish they'd start selling those little ones again. We had them when we were little and I loved mine.

lol, bilby. i hear ya.

my wife bought a basking rock attachment, gravel, and new food yesterday, so now it's up to me to pick up the tank and filter. with the little guy around, i think i'll get an impact resistant plastic tank instead of glass.

anyone have recommendations on filters?

Years ago, as a kid, would take in a sick turtle in the fall and release it in the spring after nursing it back to health. They were usually 6 - 8 inches.

My brother was a herpetologist so the feeding and medical stuff were easy.

Had a rectangular fish tank. There was a pool, gravel for him (or her, never could sex a turtle - sorry) to bask on. Had heating lights.

Would go to your pet store and ask them. Also Googled and there are a number of sites that discuss taking care of pet turtles - including housing.

Those turtles never did learn any trick but to stay - and they usually did that very well.

Good luck.

thanks for everyone's help.

before christmas i bought a 20 litre tank, filter, basking lamp, floating rock, and stuff to make to tank more homey.

the little guy loves to bask. he started to grow some fungus on his shell from being submerged all day in the old tiny tank, but it seems to be going away the more he basks.

he seems to love his new home. he falls asleep under the light, with everything outstretched as if doing a belly flop. he's eating well, and enjoys swimming into the flow from the output of the filter, getting shot across the tank. at first i thought he did it by accident, but he does it often enough over and over that i realized he was just having fun.

then he goes back to his sunbathing. :cool: what a life.

hopefully, the next time i'm down town, i'll pick up another turtle to keep him company.

Last edited:
BT, before you get your turtle a companion, Google 'Do turtles get lonely?'

God, I love the internet!

Lee

:)Have you named him yet? Im sure he is so much happier and comfortable now that you built him his very own Turtle Resort/Water Park and Sun Spa :LOL:.More brownie points for you BT.;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom