Need help with North Carolina vacation.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i have a week vacation coming up, and dw has asked if we could go to north carolina. she has mentioned this for years (also wants to go to idaho someday), so i figured i'd check it out.

we've never been there before, so i'm just starting out the search process. i'm thinking of a beachy type of vacation.

it doesn't have to be oceanfront, but close, and we don't need an entire house that sleeps 70. just something with a kitchen/kitchenette, and 2 bedrooms :brows:.
so the little guy will have his own room, of course.

does anyone know of any good rentals, or at least a nice area for us to help narrow down the search.

TIA for your help.

oops, i shoulda added that i know how to search the internet. but thanks, elsie. :)

i'm looking for some local knowledge, or someone who has frequently vacationed there and their experiences.

oops, i shoulda added that i know how to search the internet. but thanks, elsie. :)

i'm looking for some local knowledge, or someone who has frequently vacationed there and their experiences.

well I haven't vacationed in NC but I have been to NC , stayed with my sister so really can't help you then. oh well I tried.

Check out the Outer Banks.
Good history out there.. Kitty Hawk, Ft Macon, Blackbeard.....
Good eats, too. :)

I'll ask my friend who moved there last summer. They're always out and about exploring the state.
*(PS - jealous you get to go there!!)

We have a place in OBX(outer banks), in Duck, near Corolla, it is a little slice if heaven.
I highly recommend the OBX, though it has gotten a little more commercial in the past 8 or so years, it is still a great quite beach are. Lots of cool local history too with kittyhawk and all. Also a good aquarium.

If I were going to North Carolina, I would choose the mountains. Maybe because I've been there before, and it is so beautiful. My aunt used to live in Asheville, and there's a thriving artists community there. We used to get some beautiful hand-thrown pottery when we visited...

Ok, but what is a kittyhawk???

cathawk.jpg

Its a big sand dune, where you can (or could) take Hang Gliding lessons! Whee!
Nice monument and museum.

Well, bt, I also choose the mountains for you (closer to visit me :mrgreen:)

I don't have any personal recommendations and finding a house other than one with 5 or so bedrooms may be difficult. Most of those houses are to accomodate larger groups. I would just have to say "search". OBX is certainly a good place to go. Charleston, Isle of Palms, are also good locations. Charleston will put you near Isle of Palms but more hotels there versus houses. Isle of Palms will have both. A bit inland you may find a house with a pool - a good option.

Gotta run, customer

If you have time, go to Brevard, and take a drive through the Pisgah National Forest. It is SO BEAUTIFUL! The people in Brevard are wonderful, too...and they have Sweet Tea.

I remember seeing a member was from somewhere in the outerbanks, where horses roam free, showing pics, and writing it down to look up. I can't remember the name right now
(old, don't cha know), but I'll look on the atlas and see.
Then maybe I'll remember the member's name (tall order) so you can PM, Maybe.
Or just forget about it, buckytom.

Anyway, what do you like? Historic, antique, nature, upscale, trendy (yeh, right. I don't get that impression).

Oops. Me wrong.
I just found it.
Assateague Island, Md.
sorry.
Try the OuterBanks. But I think it's hurricane season there, like it is here too.
But you're close enough (500 miles) to get out, if need be. And they always have manditory evacs, if threat arises.

Hi - I live in Wilmington NC, which is smack in the middle (within 15 miles) of 2 great beach areas: Wrightsville Beach and Carolina Beach. CB is less expensive and more "honky-tonk" - I'll call a friend of mine and see what they're asking for a 2br rental. Also, Wilmington has alot of old city charm, Cape Fear Riverfront, tour boats and USS NC Battleship to explore. I'll post more info asa I get it.

Oh, bucky, Buck and I loved the Outer Banks. We spent many vacations tent camping on the dunes of the federal campground on Ocrakoke Island. Buck loved to surf fish. We had many a wonderful meal of blue fish and a memorable breakfast of fresh flounder, which was awesome.

We loved the lighthouses and did go to Kitty Hawk to see where the Wright brothers did their thing. As someone already said, hang gliding was something tourists could enjoy.

I'd love to go back and relive those wonderful vacations. They were among the best we ever took. Our trips to Vermont are a very close second.

Back
Top Bottom