"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

just a beautiful table, cheryl, and a better story to go with it. something to cherish, treasure, and some day to pass along to the younger generations of j's.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:30 PM   #12
Master Chef

Thanks, oldvine and bucky. Yes, my daughters know the history of "The Table", and have as much love and appreciation for it as I do. It isn't going anywhere.

I kinda feel like I hijacked Chief's thread, though....

Old 10-17-2014, 12:42 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

that's ok.

the best part of being disrepctful to a christian is they have to forgive you.

j/k. there are few better, moral, caring, or undertsanding people than the chief.

back to rocks.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Thanks, oldvine and bucky. Yes, my daughters know the history of "The Table", and have as much love and appreciation for it as I do. It isn't going anywhere.

I kinda feel like I hijacked Chief's thread, though....
Family trumps curiosity every time. That you have such an heirloom to to remember your ancestors is an incredible thing. I'm not a guy who puts a great deal of value on material things, and yet, I have a few old fishing poles, a somewhat broken gun case, and an old fiberglass bow, things that belonged to my dad, and my stepfather. We also have several sets of dishes from grandparents. All of these bring back memories of walking through the forest with them, or fishing a stream, or sitting on grandma's lap. I have a rocking chair that's in need of repair, that belonged to my mother, and handed down her harmony brand arch-top acoustic guitar to my one son who plays, or tries to..

I don't have a table like that one you have though. That's not only a precious heirloom, but a real showpiece, and work of art. I'm glad you have it, and showed it to all of us.

I've already handed down the beast/legend - my monster compound bow, my rifles, shotguns, and of course, my cookbooks, and recipes, and a lifetime of memories to my own kids. My goal is to keep on making new and wonderful memories with them, and be the grandparent that won't ever be forgotten.

And BT, for all of your irreverence and sideways humor, you can be a very gracious little brother sometimes. I appreciate all of that.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #15
Master Chef

Thanks so much for your kind words, Chief. And what a great post!

It prompted me to make a promise to myself to get out my grandmother's china, very soon. They've been packed in boxes for too long now. They were her everyday dishes so some have nicks, but they should be out and appreciated. I'll have to buy a new curio cabinet, lol. I already have one with so many of her bottles and jars that she kept up on the roof for years, so the sun would turn them purple.

I love how this thread is turning into talk of heirlooms and remembrances, and passing on what we have to our next generation along with the stories of how they were used and came to be. I still would like to hear more about your polished stones, though.

Are you and bucky really brothers, or is that a term of endearment...?
Old 10-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
that's ok.

the best part of being disrepctful to a christian is they have to forgive you.

j/k. there are few better, moral, caring, or undertsanding people than the chief.

back to rocks.
I completely agree with you there.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:25 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Thanks so much for your kind words, Chief. And what a great post! ...

Are you and bucky really brothers, or is that a term of endearment...?
We share the same birthday, a great deal of respect for each other, and a true friendship, though we've never met face to face. Alas, we are brothers in spirit only. If he lived near where I do, or me near him, we'd be very close friends. Truthfully, if I had a real brother by the same parents, I'd want him to be Bucky.

The only problem with us being physically close to each other is that we'd have probably gotten into mischief of some kind, though it would have been harmless mischief.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 10-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm not so sure about the harmless part.

remember, you don't have outrun the bear; just your hiking partner.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:14 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i'm not so sure about the harmless part.

remember, you don't have outrun the bear; just your hiking partner.
I recently heard a story about my Stepdad, when he was a lad. It seems that he, and his two brothers were tipping over outhouses. He was the only one caught, as his report card fell from his pocket at one of the sites, pointing him out as a likely suspect. For the incredible man he turned out to be, I guess he was a real rascall when young.

I'm sure that if B.T. and I had grown up together, there would have been smoke bombs put in mailboxes, and a whole slew of shenanigans. And I would have made sure he knew how to catch and cook Great Lakes fish. We would have dined on the river, eating more than our share of perch, or whitefish, or trout, and maybe a few wild rabbits and grouse as well. And I can't even imagine the tree-forts we would have built.

B.T., if my version of the afterlife is correct, we're gonna have some catching up to do. And you my friend, may need to carry around extra bottles of wing whitener, just in case our wings get a little dirty. (by the way, we don't believe that angels have wings. I'm not sure where that idea came from. But just from a physical standpoint, creatures that look like us have neither the musculature, or reduced weight needed for flight, at least until I lose a few pounds.)

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Old 10-19-2014, 02:16 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

yeah, we're gonna need really big wings.