Need help with polished stones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have some polished stones, very flat, pretty, that have almost impressionistic pictures occuring naturally in the stones. One is of a bear, one is of a bird, one is of a spider, and the last resembles either a ghoul, or a falcon, depending on which angle you look at it. Any idea of an agency to send pictures of these to, to see if they are worth anything? I mean, someone got big bucks for a cornflake on Ebay one time. But I'm looking for real worth, from a collectible.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, I love rocks and am glad to see this thread. :) I grew up with rockhounds and have some nice pieces that I'll never part with. Have you checked on ebay to see what your polished stones are going for?

If you like them but they aren't worth much, you could always put them together in some kind of artistic way to display them.

I have a table in my living room, the top is set with sliced polished rocks in resin, with glass over it. My late grandfather made it nearly 50 years ago and I love it. He and my grandmother found the rocks out in the mountains and deserts, and sliced and polished the stones themselves. This thread gives me the opportunity to share what he made so long ago. :LOL: I'll try to get a decent pic.

Last edited:
img_1393416_0_c06967e5cea80adc2338b458ffcc1123.jpg

img_1393416_1_fca6e360194fe8a4eb7826fcd055daf9.jpg

What a gorgeous table, Cheryl! So cool to have that memory!

Rocks fascinate me too. Grandpa was an amateur rock hound, and Grandma got me started in making jewelry with little rocks that Grandpa polished.

Picked up some Petoski stones from a friend's beach in Michigan, polished them up, and they turned out great.

Last edited:
Chief, I love rocks and am glad to see this thread. :) I grew up with rockhounds and have some nice pieces that I'll never part with. Have you checked on ebay to see what your polished stones are going for?

If you like them but they aren't worth much, you could always put them together in some kind of artistic way to display them.

I have a table in my living room, the top is set with sliced polished rocks in resin, with glass over it. My late grandfather made it nearly 50 years ago and I love it. He and my grandmother found the rocks out in the mountains and deserts, and sliced and polished the stones themselves. This thread gives me the opportunity to share what he made so long ago. :LOL: I'll try to get a decent pic.

Ohhhh.....what a treasure that table must be to you Cheryl !! It's really just lovely, and it gives me shivers about what a true heirloom it is, made with their own hands, and the wonder of nature. WOW, just WOW!! One could get lost in those stones.
Thanks so much for sharing it.

I know this may sound obvious Chief but have you tried to Google 'Stone or rock valuers' (or collectors) it's a mad idea but it might just work??

Thank you so much for your kind comments, Dawg, Kay, and CG! :flowers: Yes, that table is very precious to me. It lives next to the living room window and I keep a large peace lily plant on top, that I set aside for the pic. :)

Chief, I would love to see some pics of your polished stones!

just a beautiful table, cheryl, and a better story to go with it. something to cherish, treasure, and some day to pass along to the younger generations of j's.

Thanks, oldvine and bucky. :) Yes, my daughters know the history of "The Table", and have as much love and appreciation for it as I do. It isn't going anywhere.

I kinda feel like I hijacked Chief's thread, though....:ermm:

that's ok.

the best part of being disrepctful to a christian is they have to forgive you. :D

j/k. there are few better, moral, caring, or undertsanding people than the chief.

back to rocks.

Thanks, oldvine and bucky. :) Yes, my daughters know the history of "The Table", and have as much love and appreciation for it as I do. It isn't going anywhere.

I kinda feel like I hijacked Chief's thread, though....:ermm:

Family trumps curiosity every time. That you have such an heirloom to to remember your ancestors is an incredible thing. I'm not a guy who puts a great deal of value on material things, and yet, I have a few old fishing poles, a somewhat broken gun case, and an old fiberglass bow, things that belonged to my dad, and my stepfather. We also have several sets of dishes from grandparents. All of these bring back memories of walking through the forest with them, or fishing a stream, or sitting on grandma's lap. I have a rocking chair that's in need of repair, that belonged to my mother, and handed down her harmony brand arch-top acoustic guitar to my one son who plays, or tries to..

I don't have a table like that one you have though. That's not only a precious heirloom, but a real showpiece, and work of art. I'm glad you have it, and showed it to all of us.:)

I've already handed down the beast/legend - my monster compound bow, my rifles, shotguns, and of course, my cookbooks, and recipes, and a lifetime of memories to my own kids. My goal is to keep on making new and wonderful memories with them, and be the grandparent that won't ever be forgotten.

And BT, for all of your irreverence and sideways humor, you can be a very gracious little brother sometimes. I appreciate all of that.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your kind words, Chief. And what a great post! :wub:

It prompted me to make a promise to myself to get out my grandmother's china, very soon. They've been packed in boxes for too long now. They were her everyday dishes so some have nicks, but they should be out and appreciated. I'll have to buy a new curio cabinet, lol. I already have one with so many of her bottles and jars that she kept up on the roof for years, so the sun would turn them purple. :)

I love how this thread is turning into talk of heirlooms and remembrances, and passing on what we have to our next generation along with the stories of how they were used and came to be. I still would like to hear more about your polished stones, though. :whistling:LOL:

Are you and bucky really brothers, or is that a term of endearment...? :)

that's ok.

the best part of being disrepctful to a christian is they have to forgive you. :D

j/k. there are few better, moral, caring, or undertsanding people than the chief.

back to rocks.

I completely agree with you there. :)

Thanks so much for your kind words, Chief. And what a great post! :wub: ...

Are you and bucky really brothers, or is that a term of endearment...? :)

We share the same birthday, a great deal of respect for each other, and a true friendship, though we've never met face to face. Alas, we are brothers in spirit only. If he lived near where I do, or me near him, we'd be very close friends. Truthfully, if I had a real brother by the same parents, I'd want him to be Bucky.

The only problem with us being physically close to each other is that we'd have probably gotten into mischief of some kind, though it would have been harmless mischief.;)

i'm not so sure about the harmless part. :ohmy:

remember, you don't have outrun the bear; just your hiking partner.

i'm not so sure about the harmless part. :ohmy:

remember, you don't have outrun the bear; just your hiking partner.

I recently heard a story about my Stepdad, when he was a lad. It seems that he, and his two brothers were tipping over outhouses. He was the only one caught, as his report card fell from his pocket at one of the sites, pointing him out as a likely suspect. For the incredible man he turned out to be, I guess he was a real rascall when young.

I'm sure that if B.T. and I had grown up together, there would have been smoke bombs put in mailboxes, and a whole slew of shenanigans. And I would have made sure he knew how to catch and cook Great Lakes fish. We would have dined on the river, eating more than our share of perch, or whitefish, or trout, and maybe a few wild rabbits and grouse as well. And I can't even imagine the tree-forts we would have built.

B.T., if my version of the afterlife is correct, we're gonna have some catching up to do. And you my friend, may need to carry around extra bottles of wing whitener, just in case our wings get a little dirty.;) (by the way, we don't believe that angels have wings. I'm not sure where that idea came from. But just from a physical standpoint, creatures that look like us have neither the musculature, or reduced weight needed for flight, at least until I lose a few pounds.:LOL:)

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom