"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
Master Chef

I talked to Dell, the one they recomended end up being $520. Not sure if it is a good deal or not. Wil probably go to Best Buy and see what they have and prices.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
Proud American

I have a small Acer laptop/netbook that I carry for school. It is small and it weighs very little. The only thing it does not have is the disc player bult into it.

Do NOT get anything with the Windows 7 Starter OS!! It came installed on my Acer and I hate hate hate hate it! I put the full Windows 8 on it and it is very nice!

These Acers can be bought at Walmart for less than $300.00.

With love,
~Cat

Old 11-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #13
Master Chef

I love windows 7 and hate windoes 8, they do not work at all. They loaded them for us at work and after a month or so went back to 7, it is so much easier to deal with. Go figure.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #14
Proud American

But do not try to use the starter of Windows 7. Get the full version of this OS. It makes a very large difference.

I love Windows 8 but it is quite different.

If you buy the Acer, be sure to buy the 32-bit version of Windows 7 and not the 64.

With love,
~Cat
Old 11-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Thank you everybody.
iPad will not work, you have to know my father, it will have to be something stationary. Desk top probably would have worked even better. But I will stick to a notebook.
Any ideas about that?
I agree with a full size computer and not a tablet for beginners. Your dad will like a desktop the best, but a good 17" Laptop would also work quite well for them. If they do not know how to use Windows, an Apple computer might be the best bet for ease of use?

A notebook is also a very good idea. But they are small. Small and old age do not mix well.

They will also need an internet connection. Using a wifi network in their home is the best possible way to accomplish this.
Using a 3g type service might get very expensive and in many ares the signal is just not good enough.
I would use cable or DSL for the ISP. With cable being my first choice.

Someone mentioned a router for $20.00. I have never seen one that cheap.
A third party router will run at least $100 for a decent model with firewall. The ISP may provide a wireless modem/router with a new account.

Buy them the computer and the router (unless the ISP provides one). Make sure they have internet service and set it up for them. Show them how to use it.

Dell has a service (Dellconnect I think?) where they (Dell) can take control of the computer should they need assistance. This will be free during the initial warrantee period. After the warrantee is up, you can buy more warrantee or just help them yourself.

I hope you are close enough to be able to assist them. A new computer for someone who has never used one will have a GIANT learning curve.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #16
Master Chef

I think I am going to setle on this one: Inspiron 17 Laptop | Dell
Old 11-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #17
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I think I am going to setle on this one: Inspiron 17 Laptop | Dell
That's the exact laptop I have Charlie, and I love mine. It's very fast and has good graphics.

I would recommend Windows 7 64-bit, which is optimized for the processor in that model. I agree with you about Windows 8. I use it at work and don't like it at all. I find lots of little bugs that are annoying.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #18
Master Chef

OH, great, thank you Steve. I'm glad Iposted this here and I am even motr glad you have the same one to chaim in on the product. Awesome. Thank you.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I don;t know any tips to offer up to this point, which is why I kept my mouth shut for once. Mostly I like my desktop. However, the last time I took mine in for maintenance I picked up a Dell Inspiron from them as a loaner ( it isn't free, not sure why it's called a "Loaner", like a car loaner, I expect they're not free anymore either.) Anyway, I loved loved that Inspiron.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I agree with a full size computer and not a tablet for beginners. Your dad will like a desktop the best, but a good 17" Laptop would also work quite well for them. If they do not know how to use Windows, an Apple computer might be the best bet for ease of use?

A notebook is also a very good idea. But they are small. Small and old age do not mix well.

They will also need an internet connection. Using a wifi network in their home is the best possible way to accomplish this.
Using a 3g type service might get very expensive and in many ares the signal is just not good enough.
I would use cable or DSL for the ISP. With cable being my first choice.

Someone mentioned a router for $20.00. I have never seen one that cheap.
A third party router will run at least $100 for a decent model with firewall. The ISP may provide a wireless modem/router with a new account.

Buy them the computer and the router (unless the ISP provides one). Make sure they have internet service and set it up for them. Show them how to use it.

Dell has a service (Dellconnect I think?) where they (Dell) can take control of the computer should they need assistance. This will be free during the initial warrantee period. After the warrantee is up, you can buy more warrantee or just help them yourself.

I hope you are close enough to be able to assist them. A new computer for someone who has never used one will have a GIANT learning curve.
Something like this is all a basic user needs, it provides a firewall and other security features.

TRENDnet TEW-711BR N150 Wireless Home Router IEEE 802.11b/g/n, IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.3az - Newegg.com

This doesn't include the modem itself, but is in addition to the modem. Most ISP charge monthly for the modem and a premium for that modem with wireless, so this would pay for itself in no time.

If you are going with cable internet a modem/wireless combo can be had for around $100, at Target among other retailers, that would eliminate the equipment fee all together.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote