Need Recommendation for skiing resort with babysitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
does anyone know of a good skiing mountain in the northeast u.s. that has good babysitting facilities. we used go to killington a couple of times a year, before the baby, but i'm unsure how thier babysitting facilities are set up. we really don't want a pen of kids, and disinterested teenagers supposed to be watching them in some back room in the lodge somewhere.

we were initially trying to bring a babysitter with us, but are having no luck. the offer was to bring a niece and her friend, get them an adjoining room, and they would watch my son during the day while we skiied. then we would all go out for dinner, and they could go out at night after that. but that fell thru, so now i'm trying to find a mountain that has private sitting services where they watch your baby in your condo or hotel room.

anyone have any reccomendations?

Honestly, buckytom - I'd search again to bring a trusted friend. I've heard way too many stories about the girls hired as sitters at resorts with no first aid training.

Then I must make it a point to train these women!!!!! I will travel around the country training them! They need me. And I do this for the little kids that might need 1st aid some day.
36.gif

lol, you're a goof sush! :LOL:

i wish you lived nearby. i would love to bring you to watch my son, and you'd make some good bucks out of it, say $10 an hour, plus a room and dinners out with us. at least i would know that he's safe and sound with you, and could enjoy our day skiing.

hey, i'd bet redheads would come running to meet a good guy that was gentle enough to care for a friend's baby. it's like bringing a puppy to a park. they're chick magnets.

oh well, i guess i'll have to keep looking for a mountain with private services, or our own babysitter.

I might lean toward taking a friend, or couple that doesn't ski. Have you thought about renting a cabin or timeshare. I went to Big Bear with 4 guys (a friend and his family - all skiers, except for me), and stayed in a huge cabin with a full kitchen, LR, several BR, FP. You have all the conveniences of home, rather than a hotel, etc. They could have their own room in the cabin w you, make their own meals (if they chose), and hang out during the day. One reason I mention taking a non-skiing couple - I didn't ski, and all the guys took off for the whole day, while I had the cabin to myself. (Unfortunately I was ill the whole time, or I might have joined them. But I digress :LOL: ) I did go a littl stir-crazy though, because there was no tv reception, computers or phone. I watched Cabaret 4 times and listened to the icicles melt:wacko:

Last edited:
yeah, we're trying to go that route mish. i appreciate the advice on this. we kinda feel the same way, and are obviously very cautious, but...

we usually rent a ski in-ski out condo or cabin, so i thought our own babysitter would be best too. that way i can get up to hit the first corduroy, get the need for speed and black diamonds out of me, and then ski down to meet dw about 11am. then we ski the rest of the day together, lunch and apres ski in the mountain lodges, and ski back to our room.

but so far there's been no takers. we offered a couple of nieces and their friends $50 a day, plus their own room, adjoining of course, and to take them out to some nice dinners with us. then the rest of their night is up to them, truck included. unfortunately, everyone we know (that we would trust) is too busy to take off midweek for a few days.

i'll keep trying to find our own babysitter, but i was hoping someone had experience with a family friendly mountain.

I would have thought a mature couple might enjoy free lodging and a homey, romantic, atmosphere (& sans pay). Maybe call it something other than a babysitter... how about a romantic fun-filled vacation with free lodging and an extra surprise. :LOL: Have a great time, BT. I wish you luck.:)

P.S. Take plenty of DVDs/videos - other than Cabaret. LOL

Last edited:
Y'know...we happen to live close to some of the best skiing you can find buckytom. Drop Ryan off with me, the girls and I will have a blast with him and you and dw can keep on going up to Jasper.

mish said:
I would have thought a mature couple might enjoy free lodging and a homey, romantic, atmosphere (& sans pay). Maybe call it something other than a babysitter... how about a romantic fun-filled vacation with free lodging and an extra surprise. :LOL: Have a great time, BT. I wish you luck.:)

lol mish, you have a great future in marketing. :)
and thanks. i really want to ski this year, having had to give it up last winter for the baby.

alix, i'd love to ski jasper. i've been to whistler/blackcomb, and have always wanted to ski jasper, banff, lake louise, and jackson hole, wy.. they are on my "someday" list for when i win the lottery.

Don't forget Panorama, BC. Better than Whistler. Talk to me if you need a condo there, I have connections.

You wouldn't need the lottery to go to Jasper. Trust me. Fly into Edmonton, rent a car and drop off the cutie on you way out of town. From there its a beautiful scenic drive and then a weekend skiing your brains out. Call it a second honeymoon. If you are going to do Louise and Banff too (and really since you're here anyway you might as well) you'll need a week - ten days. They're all on the same highway but you want to properly enjoy yourself.

Ask Ken about the time I pushed him in front of the snowplow in Lake Louise. I don't think he has forgiven me yet.

Bucky... come to Washington!! Stay with us and drive to the mountain. Your son can stay and play with Paul, I , Lily and the chickens. We'd have a blast.!!

Everyone is stealing my idea!:LOL: I live about an hour from Whistler and 30 minutes from Mt Baker. If you feel like coming to Washington...I'd be happy to watch yous son. He and Aidan could play and wrestle and get into all the trouble in the world!
Or, if you can fly me out to where you decide to go, I'd be happy to babysit and go out for nice meals.:ROFLMAO:

Another, more serious, option is I have a sister that lives in NYC. She's 28 and good with kids. I'm not sure if she'll be able to get off work and for how long but I can always ask if you want?

Good luck bucky!

Bucky I wish I had some advice for you. I know a ton of great places to ski around here, but I never had to look into the babysitting options. Quite honestly, until you mentioned it I never even realized they had that. I hope you find a good one!

:) thanks everyone. wow, i wish we all lived closer together. i will keep you west coasters in mind for next year. i don't think we're ready for a 6 or 7 hour flight with a 2 year old tasmanian devil, purely from a national security standpoint. i'm just hoping 4 to 5 hours in my truck will be ok. if not, it's gonna be a long drive.

thank you all for the offers, tho.

gb, i will be sure to let you know of our experiences in skiing with a baby in tow, up there in heathen land (any place that doesn't root for the yankees). :)

We managed to make it on a flight to Hawaii, with a 2 year old tazmanian devil of our own. Also, a 2 hour drive to the airport.:wacko: We got to Seattle early enough so Aidan could have some time at a park and run off some energy. We didn't let him sleep until we were on the plane and he slept for 3 hours. Dh brought his laptop and headphones so Aidan could watch a movie. The last hour or so he was climbing all over the seats and stuff, but I think he did incredibly well considering. So make sure when you go on your 4-5 hour drive, it's during his nap! It will make things easier!

When Aidan was younger we drove from New Mexico to Washington. We did a lot of driving at night! So there's another recommendation for you. Good luck with that drive!:)

thanks cora for the good sense advice. we pretty much have worked our lives around his schedule, especially naps, often showing up late to family gatherings because we wanted him to get his rest. he was pretty sick from 6 months to about 14 months, so we did everything to make him better.

he's been good in my truck for about 2 hours, so we'll see how it goes. i'm one of those guys that drives straight thru for 8 or 10 hours, d*amn the torpedoes, but i've gotten used to having to stop every 2 or 3 hours now anyway.

oh, cora, i just realized that i didn't answer you about your sister. that's very nice of you to offer. if we're really stuck, i will pm you about it. ok?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom