"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-06-2008, 10:59 AM   #21
Head Chef

Thought of something else. Another consideration is, where you are going to put the TV i.e. wall mount or in an entertainment unit/on furniture. Living in earthquake country, I'm a little concerned, since it's so lightweight & not wall mountable. So now I'm thinking about a new entertainment center

Or not.

Let me know if you'd like to see a pic of the new sofa I had in mind, if I win the lottery.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow. Talk about a kid in a candy store.....
The Element TV is definitely out. It just didn't have the picture of the ones around it, which happened to be LCDs. Then I worked my way down and saw a Hibatchi plasma that had a very nice picture. 1000 bucks for a 42". There was a Zenith 50" that had a nice picture for 1250..... not as nice as the Hibatchi, but the larger size is nice.

I talked to two salesmen, one preferred LCDs and the other plasmas.... One said plasmas can get the black bars burned into them if I fall asleep and the DVD goes to menu. The other one said that's a thing of the past.... One said LCD had a sharper image. The other said plasmas have more contrast and better black. Sheesh.
Either one would be a step up and this is going to take more thought than I had figured. I don't remember conventional televisions having this much disparity among the different sets that were reasonably close to the same price range.

And then of course I had to check out the new cell phones That LG Voyager touch screen is sweet

Old 01-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Here is a site that I use when looking at different TVs. LCD TV Buying Guide: LCD TV Reviews and Buying Advice, Find the Best LCD Television There is a lot of reading there so take your time and read.

They also have combo HD/Blue-Ray players out if you want to buy one now.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for that link, NA
Old 01-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Here's a link to something I just read. Toshiba slashes HD DVD player prices - USATODAY.com
This kind of confirms what the sales people have been telling me, that most of the movie makers have already switched to Blu-Ray.

One of Circuit City's deals is to "throw in" the Blu-Ray player when you buy certain flat panels. Sure does add to the confusion allright
But I'm still looking and researching......
Old 01-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #26
Traveling Welcome Wagon

It used to be so simple, long long ago (before I was old enough to buy a TV)! Go to the store and look at the 3 different models of TVs they sold. All were about the same, just the wood boxes the picture tube sat in looked different. LOL Oh well, I have to admit I love new technology, even if it does mean hours of research to find what we want now!

Barbara
Old 01-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

It's the research and indecisiveness that's killing me.
Everytime I think I know what I want, I go to the store to see the model in person, change my mind and start leaning in a different direction. Then I have to go home and look up info on those models.
If I didn't watch so much TV I wouldn't worry about it as much, but everytime I come back home and watch something on my set I'm that much closer to buying a HD TV..... but I don't know which dang one. CC has a pretty good price on a Samsung LNT4665F right now, better than online even, but just earlier today I thought I had a high rated plasma set all picked out.....
This is much harder than deciding on a new PC. Or what to make for dinner....
Old 01-14-2008, 06:13 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Mitsubishi laser TV unveiled

Mitsubishi laser TV unveiled - Engadget

To confuse you more on what to buy later in the year.

It is best to buy your HDMI cables online. The Monster price at the local store is a total rip off....
Old 01-14-2008, 11:00 PM   #29
Sous Chef

I dont think the BlueRay will overdo the HD format. I think the BlueRay is a being done by Sony and it has been a LONG time that Sony has gotten anythiing to stick! Remember the minidisc? That was supposed to be the next best thing.

It may come down to the two formats but time will tell. I am going to hold out another year and see what is happening. The DVD's I buy now look just fine.