"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-09-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
Cook

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Angry Need to vent!

So, I had my review at work....a paper is filled out by my boss that rates me 1-4 (1 is the low end, 4 the high). I recived all 4's (except on one of them he circled 3 and 4 cause he says when they overload me I don't work as fast, lol). He had no complaints, loves my enthusiasm and my work, etc., etc. The office manager was also in there to evaluate me, she also said she had no complaints. So then came the discussion of money. They wanted to give me the standard 3%. I said I wasn't happy with that, I wanted 5%. I said 3% is the minimum and I have never done the minimum.

I don't want to seem like a gloating snob, but I work very hard. I am always coming in early, leaving late (I am salary. so I don't get overtime either), taking on tasks that aren't "in my job description". I work for four estimators who each have multiple jobs and so I am always multitasking and juggling and I still get everything done.

So, the office manager comes back into my office and says they won't do 5%, but they will do 3.7%. They can't go any higher this year or else I will pass the one administrative assistant that has been here longer than me, in pay (office manager makes more, but she doesn't count as an admin). I understand I have been here 4 1/2 years and she has been here 11 1/2 years. Difference is that she won't come in early or stay late and she refuses to do anything that's not in her job description. So then why should it matter if she's been here longer? Shouldn't I be "rewarded" for my hard work instead of compared to someone else's salary that has worked here longer than I have?

Ugh, it just bugs me sooooo much, I had to vent!

Thanks for listening!!

Old 05-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #2
Master Chef

Bummer................sorry about the slack in pay raise. Personally, I don't think I'd be doing all the extra things that they take for granted. Besides isn't it against policy to discuss ones pay rate anyway?

Old 05-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #3
Master Chef

I'm so sorry!!
That isn't right. Your pay should not have anything to do with the other person! It should be based on your evaluation. If the other person can't get a better evaluation than they obviously have, then, that isn't your problem and anyway, how are they going to find out that you make more? Even if they did, then the management will have to deal with it, not you.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
Everymom

Do you belong to a union? If so, that might be the motivator but it might also be a place to go. Just a thought, I personally think you got hugely ripped off. Sorry about that.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
Cook

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
SizzlininIN - I don't do the extra stuff for the company, I do it for my guys...I know they at least appreciate it. It is against company policy to discuss pay rates, but they were trying to say it in such a way that I just figured it out and they basically just confirmed it.

texas - no idea how she would find out

alix - no, no unions for me - I am in the construction business and unions can be nasty.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 05-09-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw80

alix - no, no unions for me - I am in the construction business and unions can be nasty.
They can indeed. If you don't have a union to mess with, then there is no reason for seniority to have more pull than hard work. You were doubly ripped off!
Old 05-09-2006, 02:36 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

I feel your pain Lori. I can completely relate to what you are going through. I know this is no consolation, but just know that you are doing a great job and they are lucky to have you even if they do not treat you fairly.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:55 PM   #8
Master Chef

I know how you feel. Very much sounds like mine last review. So since then I stoped doing what I do not get pay for. The heck with them.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:05 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

In effect you are being punished for doing a good job - your co-worker is probably getting the 3% just for showing up and breathing. So unfair.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
So sorry to hear of your situation. It feels like your back is up against the wall, huh? Sorry .