"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 09-24-2006, 03:28 AM   #31
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Call up city hall and find out if it is your wall. If it is, then I'd file a complaint about her littering on your property. Its a pretty harmless thing, and you could probably have the police talk to her about. Once the law gets involved folks usually tend to back off without any more hassle.

Or another option would be to get a few sprinkles and set them in your lawn, pointing them just so the streams hit the top of the wall and knock off the crumbs... or the lady gets wet wehnever she tries to feed the critters.

I think its great that she feeds the birds, btw, but there IS a right way and a wrong way to do it.

college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:10 AM   #32
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to SpiritWolf Send a message via Yahoo to SpiritWolf
Why not try kids rubber snakes, you know the ones kids get in sample bags or in toy stores, We tried that where we live, even though I didnt agree with it as it was to get rid of our lorrikeets from our city mall, and I love any kind of bird or animal, but it is a solution, as it doesn't harm or kill the birds, just frightens them away, and it also solves the problem, most of the time, but dont put them fully on the brick wall, or your neighbour friend may see them and know what you are doing, then she would just simply remove them, put them in a non-conspicuios place outa site of her, but not to the birds. Half and Half I think, you just have to work out where the best place is for all concerned. It does work, but will it work 4 you, all you can do is try, and let us know.
Thanks see ya from spiritwolf in Aussie land.

SpiritWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:14 AM   #33
Executive Chef
Simple - tell her you'd love to share your recipe for fried squirrel; squirrel stew; squirrel pot roast.................
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:09 AM   #34
Hospitality Queen
You guys are all the best!
GB's words kept coming back to me, so I went outside, picked a couple of asian pears, some apples and some strawberry guavas from my yard. I put them in a big ziploc with a long handwritten note, asking for her forgiveness, explaining that my stern manner was not appropriate. I gushed, basically.
After a half hour, there were no breadcrumbs, and the bag was gone. There are no breadcrumbs this morning. I hope this works.

Thanks to all of you.
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:02 AM   #35
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I'd say work it out tactfully. The ideas of getting her a birdfeeder and talking it over tea is something I would do to keep the peace.
If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:35 AM   #36
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
So far so good jkath - I hope it stays that way! You are a good neighbor!
Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:48 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
awwwww - good jkath. She might like a bird feeder more than ever now up closer to her house!!! Maybe you could help her place it near a window or patio or in a tree where she can enjoy it.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:34 PM   #38
Senior Cook
Hmmm... We have a lovely, friendly cat who loves ear-scratches and loves hunting, and cleans out all the undesirable "critters" from our backyard, and we did have (she has now passed away) a neighbor who fed the birds--attracting great numbers of pesky, poopy pigeons and grackles, I might add. Some days we wouldn't have to feed the cat at all!
TexanFrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:59 PM   #39
Chief Eating Officer
I hope her new found respect lasts jkath!
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:01 PM   #40
Senior Cook
Now, that was really thoughtful, JKath! A little bit of caring goes a long way. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Anne is offline   Reply With Quote