"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-16-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Neighbor "Kid" Hanging Out at Our House

How many of you have that one kid who just loves to hang out at your house? We have one of those. Only ours isn't human! Three young dogs live across the street. I think they came from the same litter, but they look different. One is a boxer, like his dad. The other two look like they have boxer and something else in them. The boxer pup (I think they are around 8 or 9 months old) belongs to one guy and the other two to his neighbor. All of them come over to play with our dog Cubbie and with me. The two I call Big Guy and Little Guy will come up to our door but usually don't try to come in. One of them did once, but not since. But the boxer has decided that he lives here.

He started out sneaking in when I would bring Cubbie in after his walk at night. He usually just jumps right into James's chair and falls asleep. He will sleep for hours. If James is home and in his chair the dog will sleep on the floor, and once I found him in our bed with his head on my pillow!

Last night I was sitting here on the computer, and Cubbie was lying on the floor near me. I heard scratching at the door. I opened it, and there he was! He just walked in and jumped in the chair!

I do have to keep an eye on him when he is awake though because he is still in the chewing stage. By the way, he is sleeping in James's chair right now. LOL I don't mind him coming in (and I told his owner that he comes in) as long as he behaves. I have really come to love the little guy. I think he really loves the attention, and he definitely loves being in a warm house. I hated putting him out last night, but I was afraid of what he might eat while I was sleeping!

Barbara

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cubbieandroscoe002cf5.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	3329  

Old 01-16-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
That is the CUTEST! I can see how you can't resist!!!!! Hey, bring him too next year

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'm sure he'd love it!

Barbara
Old 01-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #4
Executive Chef

He is so adorable, how can you not let him in! Does he sleep inside at his house?
Old 01-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Beautiful pup!
Do his owners take care of him? He just wanders across the street? I'm glad you're looking after him.
I don't have any stray visitors. Just the occassional passing though.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

All three pups are allowed to roam all the time. I don't think any of them are allowed in the house. They have caused a lot of problems taking things from others' yards and chewing them up. We have found (chewed up) various shoes, a woman's dress, a woman's purse (empty and probably trashed), a belt, shirts, jeans, a kid's fishing pole, etc. strewn through our yard. James bought me two pairs of Croc's (shoes) for Christmas but I wasn't home when they were delivered. When I got home I found them all over the yard, chewed up. I talked to the owners. The one said his two would be gone by Christmas. They're not. They are such sweet dogs, but being allowed to roam like that, I'm afraid they are not going to stay that way. We think the boxer pup will be okay (behaviorwise) if the others are given away. I even offered to take them to a no-kill shelter near here. We live in the country, and there isn't much traffic on our road, but the road behind their yards is a fairly busy one sometimes (as country roads go).

The boxer pup does get a little attention now and then (he keeps him for the grandkids to play with on weekends), but I don't think the others get much attention. One of my neighbors feeds all of them (and all the cats, etc. that roam around). So anyway, I play with all of the pups when I go out, and Cubbie loves them. We will have to be especially diligent about keeping Cubbie's shots and heartworm medications up-to-date.

Barbara
Old 01-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Sad. Sounds like he wants them to come up missing. One way or the other.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I can't believe he doesn't sleep inside. That is awful, it breaks my heart to imagine any doggy outside alone in the cold. I'm so glad you let him be a part of your family.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

"Our" pup's dad is kept in a pen, and I think sometimes he is penned up too. I just hate to see dogs allowed to run free all the time. They have become very protective of the whole neighborhood and run at delivery people barking. They aren't mean, but that can be intimidating--especially when they are full-sized.

Barbara
Old 01-16-2008, 06:56 PM   #10
Master Chef

He's adorable, Barbara, and so lucky to have a kind friend. It was 2 years before I found out that our cat Liono (who has since passed on) was leading a secret life. He had made friends with the old lady 4 doors down unknown to me but she knew that he belonged to us. She'd invite him in, feed him, and had a special blanket for him. It wasn't until some mean Tom attacked him that she showed up at my door to tell me as it happened in her yard. Mind you Liono was an indoor/outdoor cat---when it was cold outside he was under the covers with us or sprawled out between DH and I. Nice days he wanted to be outdoors. He was such a character........