Neighbor "Kid" Hanging Out at Our House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
How many of you have that one kid who just loves to hang out at your house? We have one of those. Only ours isn't human! Three young dogs live across the street. I think they came from the same litter, but they look different. One is a boxer, like his dad. The other two look like they have boxer and something else in them. The boxer pup (I think they are around 8 or 9 months old) belongs to one guy and the other two to his neighbor. All of them come over to play with our dog Cubbie and with me. The two I call Big Guy and Little Guy will come up to our door but usually don't try to come in. One of them did once, but not since. But the boxer has decided that he lives here.

He started out sneaking in when I would bring Cubbie in after his walk at night. He usually just jumps right into James's chair and falls asleep. He will sleep for hours. If James is home and in his chair the dog will sleep on the floor, and once I found him in our bed with his head on my pillow!

Last night I was sitting here on the computer, and Cubbie was lying on the floor near me. I heard scratching at the door. I opened it, and there he was! He just walked in and jumped in the chair!

I do have to keep an eye on him when he is awake though because he is still in the chewing stage. By the way, he is sleeping in James's chair right now. LOL I don't mind him coming in (and I told his owner that he comes in) as long as he behaves. I have really come to love the little guy. I think he really loves the attention, and he definitely loves being in a warm house. I hated putting him out last night, but I was afraid of what he might eat while I was sleeping!

:)Barbara

Attachments

• cubbieandroscoe002cf5.jpg
    cubbieandroscoe002cf5.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 194
Beautiful pup!
Do his owners take care of him? He just wanders across the street? I'm glad you're looking after him.
I don't have any stray visitors. Just the occassional passing though.

All three pups are allowed to roam all the time. I don't think any of them are allowed in the house. They have caused a lot of problems taking things from others' yards and chewing them up. We have found (chewed up) various shoes, a woman's dress, a woman's purse (empty and probably trashed), a belt, shirts, jeans, a kid's fishing pole, etc. strewn through our yard. James bought me two pairs of Croc's (shoes) for Christmas but I wasn't home when they were delivered. When I got home I found them all over the yard, chewed up. I talked to the owners. The one said his two would be gone by Christmas. They're not. They are such sweet dogs, but being allowed to roam like that, I'm afraid they are not going to stay that way. We think the boxer pup will be okay (behaviorwise) if the others are given away. I even offered to take them to a no-kill shelter near here. We live in the country, and there isn't much traffic on our road, but the road behind their yards is a fairly busy one sometimes (as country roads go).

The boxer pup does get a little attention now and then (he keeps him for the grandkids to play with on weekends), but I don't think the others get much attention. One of my neighbors feeds all of them (and all the cats, etc. that roam around). So anyway, I play with all of the pups when I go out, and Cubbie loves them. We will have to be especially diligent about keeping Cubbie's shots and heartworm medications up-to-date.

Sad. Sounds like he wants them to come up missing. One way or the other.

I can't believe he doesn't sleep inside. That is awful, it breaks my heart to imagine any doggy outside alone in the cold. I'm so glad you let him be a part of your family.

"Our" pup's dad is kept in a pen, and I think sometimes he is penned up too. I just hate to see dogs allowed to run free all the time. They have become very protective of the whole neighborhood and run at delivery people barking. They aren't mean, but that can be intimidating--especially when they are full-sized.

He's adorable, Barbara, and so lucky to have a kind friend. It was 2 years before I found out that our cat Liono (who has since passed on) was leading a secret life. He had made friends with the old lady 4 doors down unknown to me but she knew that he belonged to us. She'd invite him in, feed him, and had a special blanket for him. It wasn't until some mean Tom attacked him that she showed up at my door to tell me as it happened in her yard. Mind you Liono was an indoor/outdoor cat---when it was cold outside he was under the covers with us or sprawled out between DH and I. Nice days he wanted to be outdoors. He was such a character........

How sweet and comfy he looks. I would never let Aspen roam. I love her too much. I guess these guys are pretty street smart, or you live in a slow (street wise) area. A main road runs about 100 yards from my building. She'd get hit in a second. I love boxers. They love to snuggle and be near you.

Expatgirl, you reminded me of an email I just got:

An old, tired looking dog wandered into the yard. I could tell from his collar and well-fed belly that he had a home.

He followed me into the house, down the hall, and fell asleep in a corner. An hour later, he went to the door, and I let him out.

The next day he was back, resumed his position in the hall, and slept for an hour. This continued for several weeks.

Curious, I pinned a note to his collar: "Every afternoon your dog comes to my house for a nap."

The next day he arrived with a different note pinned to his collar:

"He lives in a home with ten children--he's trying to catch up on his sleep. Can I come with him tomorrow?"

How sweet and comfy he looks. I would never let Aspen roam. I love her too much. I guess these guys are pretty street smart, or you live in a slow (street wise) area. A main road runs about 100 yards from my building. She'd get hit in a second. I love boxers. They love to snuggle and be near you.
We live pretty much in the country. Our [gravel] road dead-ends, so the only traffic is people who live here, their friends, and delivery people.

Our last dog, a medium-sized beagle mix, had to be kept outside because he refused to be housebroken. He broke his chain now and then and would run off, but he always came back. Until my birthday in 2006. We think he was after a girl (he had just gotten to the age that he would do that) and someone picked him up.

I have let Cubbie run loose for a short time late at night, to give him more exercise, but now I'm afraid his buddies will get him into too much trouble. He always came back right away before, but he's like a teenaged boy--when he is with his friends he doesn't want to listen to me. If he does manage to sneak out, if I act like I'm going somewhere in the car he will come back.

P.S. Whenever we pass a house that is for sale, the first thing out of my mouth is often, "Too close to the road for dogs and cats," or "That would be a good one for pets." LOL

Expatgirl, you reminded me of an email I just got:

An old, tired looking dog wandered into the yard. I could tell from his collar and well-fed belly that he had a home.

He followed me into the house, down the hall, and fell asleep in a corner. An hour later, he went to the door, and I let him out.

The next day he was back, resumed his position in the hall, and slept for an hour. This continued for several weeks.

Curious, I pinned a note to his collar: "Every afternoon your dog comes to my house for a nap."

The next day he arrived with a different note pinned to his collar:

"He lives in a home with ten children--he's trying to catch up on his sleep. Can I come with him tomorrow?"

Haha!! Yeah, we couldn't understand why Liono was putting on weight---I had two active kids, too, and he probably was looking for peace and quiet and a loving "grandma"---she really became a great friend as Liono brought us together.

:) Your pup looks just like Daisy my boxer mix she is really smart I taught her to ring a wireless door chime at her level in one night.Your pup is displaying alot of intelligence as well she or he already knows where the good life is.We finally fenced in our back yard with cattle panel fence 5x16 foot long we ran it all around the yard and behind the two sheds so the dogs could run in a big circle around the yard.Then we filled the yard with gravel. We have a covered back porch with their dog houses two are heated one with a plastic pad which puts out a minimum of heat the other is a large tin coffee can rigged with a orange electric cord that has a light socket in it with a 60 watt bulb for heat. Those are just for the day in the afternoon they come back in the house unless its really cold.My point is if you can build a good fence you dont need to worry about the dogs getting loose. If you look around you can get the fencing for nothing we just picked up ours around the ranch it might be harder where you are but these things are available.

My point is if you can build a good fence you dont need to worry about the dogs getting loose. If you look around you can get the fencing for nothing we just picked up ours around the ranch it might be harder where you are but these things are available.
We would love to fence our yard (we have an acre) but can't afford it right now (we are both out of work and even cheap is too much right now). One of these days we will. I would love to let Cubbie run loose in the yard. He stays in a lot, but in the mornings, or when we go somewhere and he isn't with us, we have to hook him up outside. LOL I don't have to hook him up in the mornings, but I put him out to get some fresh air and to play with his buds. He probably won't be out there in the morning though, as we are supposed to have a rainy, sleety, snowy night and early morning. I hope it sticks around long enough for Cubbie to see it, as he has never seen snow. But it is supposed to turn to plain old rain by afternoon.

How good of you to shelter him when he comes to your house Barbara L.! And he looks so comfy and warm.... bless his heart! And bless your's too!!!

Have had countless shared animals in my life. I came home one day several years ago to my new house to find one of my neighbour's cats curled up on my bed and my three girls huddled underneath it! She was trying to escape a stray and her bunk mate but they both followed her over. I ended up feeding everyone and kept the stray. He was one of the cats that came with the house. The other one after a year or two here, started to come inside and curl up behind the lounge chair. i would leave him there until I had to go to work and then would walk him home - or at least what I believed was his home. It wasn't! He has been a permanent fixture with me in my home now for several years. It turns out his original owner walked out on her husband and left the cat with him. He was/is very bitter and went out and bought a doberman, so the cat was homeless. He told his kids that he ran it over. I believe he probably did at one point too as this cat has the skinniest unhealthiest tail you have ever seen (that doesn't have mange). Three others of my current lot have all slowly migrated to Chez Bilby.

At least the dogs have all been able to be sent home again.

I am also glad that fish can't get to my house as I have no river thru my property cos I seem to feed everything that crosses my threshold!!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom