Net Books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
SO has been computer illiterate for most of her life. When she was looking for a job last Fall, it became apparent that had to change. Last October I bought a new MacBook and handed down my Dell laptop. She has been learning on that.

It's going to die soon. The battery cannot hold any charge at all and the power cord plug is defective so if you move at all the computer shuts down and you have to start over.

She wants to get a net book for cheap-we're talking $200. With Black Friday coming we expect to see some deals. I've been looking at 10.1" screens and they all have more than enough memory and hard drive space. Most have Windows 7 Starter and some have XP.

I'm concerned about a couple of things and I'd like any input from those who know.

1. Any brands that have great quality or a poor quality record.
2. Any other caveats of things to avoid or look for.
3. Any particular stores or websites that offer the best prices.

Just to emphasize, price is paramount here. SO doesn't want to spend much more than $200.

Thanks folks,

I am a fan of HP and their service. And others may disagree, but Best Buy and the GeekSquad has been great to us.

I like my almost 2 year old Acer Aspire One netbook (1Gb/160Gb/WindowsXP) not as my primary pc but to use it whenever I'm away from home. It's perfect for using at coffee shops.
I ordered it with the bigger, 6hr battery. It sticks out a bit, but not a problem fitting in slim carrying cases.

Last edited:
The problem that I have with PC's is that for every person that has a good experience with a brand or store there is another person who had the opposite experience with the same brand or store.

The last time I had a PC it was a Dell and I was happy with it. My wife bought a Dell a few years after and it was the worst purchase ever. Sorry I am no help Andy.

The problem that I have with PC's is that for every person that has a good experience with a brand or store there is another person who had the opposite experience with the same brand or store.

The last time I had a PC it was a Dell and I was happy with it. My wife bought a Dell a few years after and it was the worst purchase ever. Sorry I am no help Andy.

I agree with GB! We had a great experience with the first Dell...then nothing but troubles with the next.

I've heard stories good and bad about all of them, and I've been around PC's since the beginning. And before that...with the room sized computers...Dad believed in the "Take Your Daughter To Work/School" philosophy.:)

For $200 your best bet is just find one that you think she will like anywhere and make sure they have a decent return policy and then take your chances.

For $200 she could get the Dell repaired and a new battery.

Net books are one of the "Don't Buy" items in a recent tech article.
They have already pretty much been replaced by phones that do the same thing,
and I suspect they won't be around much longer.

The laptop has more capabilities and as long as it is fairly new, its going to
allow her to do more as she learns... she might find the net book limited.

I second you about laptops. I got my first laptop in late 1999 and have never gone back. It's just as good or better than an ordinary PC, takes up much less room and can go with you. I think the thing I like the most is it's so compact. There's no tower or huge monitor taking up space even when not in use, and when closed, my desk is usable.

Now that I have the slippy disk in my back, if I want to spend more time on the computer, I can put it in my lap while I sit in the recliner. My optical mouse works fine on the arm of the chair, even over loose crochet arm covering.

A new Dell battery alone (9 cell like the one that's there now) is a $165. item. i I suspect a visit to the repair shop will be more than $35.

I investigated third party batteries and read nothing good about them. they don't fully charge and sometimes cause fires. No thanks.

Back
Top Bottom