"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 08-07-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
Master Chef

Have any of you tried this service? If so, what do you think. Pros, cons, hated it, loved it. We're thinking of subscribing but only know two people who have (they like it).

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
My friends have it and love it, they live about 15-20 mi. from town and is so much easier for them to toss it in the mailbox.

Grandma's Boys - Isaiah (11) Cameron (3 )
Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
Head Chef
We recently signed for the $5.00 a month deal. Other deals wouldn't work out for us. It's working out so far.
My Blog
legend_018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Buck and I have the $5/month plan, which is 2 rentals sent one-at-a-time. We love it and this plan is quite enough for us. Probably wouldn't watch any more than 2 a month.

Our nearest theater is about 30 miles away, so going to the movies is a big deal for us. To say nothing of the cost of a movie ticket these days. Even if we go to the matinee, it's still a bit steep. Don't even get into the issue of concessions.

One of the things we like about Netflix is the ability to see little video clips of the movies we're considering watching before we put them in our queue. At the rate we're going, we'll have to live to be 200 before we watch all of the ones we want to see.

Nothing better than sitting in our favorite chair, dressed in our jammies or whatever, with a big bowl of home-popped corn! I say go for it.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
Master Chef
Don't remember how much our plan is, but it is 2 movies at the time. Usually my wife gets one she likes and I do the same. Works well for us. We used to be always late returning movies and were paying late fees. It is great like this. And you can always cancel.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
Executive Chef
I almost cried seeing this thread! I love Netflix and used them for years before I moved over here. We don't have any service as good as they are here, big bummer.

Excellent company (Based near my hometown!) and quick turn around!
Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives ~ Amy Sedaris
redkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
Master Chef
you should start new business, will make killing!
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
We got it initially when I was recovering from surgery and loved it so much, we're still using it four years later

I'm not that into movies, but we have been enjoying watching earlier seasons of NCIS. Netflix has quite a few TV series available, from cable and broadcast, as well as movies. They also have National Geographic documentaries, History Channel and PBS shows, etc. There's a lot there.

We too had problems returning movies on time and paid a lot in late fees. No problems like that with Netflix. Couldn't be easier to manage.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:16 PM   #9
Head Chef
I've been a Netflix subscriber for years. The selection of documentaries and foreign films, let alone the regular movies is outstanding. I change my plan seasonally. Right now I get the 2 at a time but in the winter I switch to 3 at a time.
Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:39 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
I bought a subscription for my sister and BIL and they love it.
I am thinking of dropping my last remaining movie channels with Dish Network and joining Netflix myself. I love movies and can't stand being comitted to the times and repeats that the premium movie channels give us.

pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote