Netflix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
We've recently decided to discontinue our satellite services. We were only watching tv maybe 2 days a week and hour here and there. The bill was always a $100.00 no matter what. I just can't see paying that kind of money for " Family Packages" and then to be disgusted by the commercials. Sometimes it comes down to too much info..

Netflix is offering a free 30 day trial. We tried it. They have an incredible selection of movies and tv shows. Whatever you decide to have put on a DVD does get to you the next day. The only setback to quing a movie or show to DVD is 10 minutes of commercials for other shows you might be interested in. Other then that the DVD'S are high quality, clearly marked and labeled with the listed show. When your done with it. Return it. They send you the next DVD that you have qued. You can cancel or remove anything that you have selected at anytime.

We now have it streaming throughout the house. It's fast, no delays like youtube or the major networks have with stalling. You can pause and resume later if you want. It saves your place. We signed up for a small package. It's more then enough for a family of 4 to use, but it's only $26.00 a month.

Once you've signed up for the trial the selection that they offer gets larger. Searching for a particular show or movie helps. They will if you rate the shows customize the selections to suit you. Not a bad deal at all.

Munky.

Netflix: Rent as many movies as you want for only $8.99 a month! Free Trial

Hey, Munky...we've had Netflix for about 10 years and love it. We, too, don't watch much TV and have found that Netflix is a good supplement to what we DO watch.

I especially like the feature where I can watch a movie right from my computer if I want. I've spent hours and hours on a dreary afternoon getting lost in old movies.

We can't say enough good about Netflix.

It's been around for that long? And nobody told me? LOL!

Were really enjoying it to. Everyone can watch their favorite shows when they want. Where they want. Wish we had switched to it sooner. I'd be rich and have those CI skillets.

I'm a classic movie/tv buff. TCM is my favorite. Just watched " Whatever happened to baby Jane" on netflix. Betty is just a wicked lil' thing! ;) Back in the days when people actually communicated without the flash and violence that have now. "Them!" is next on Q. Ahhh finally peace :ohmy:

Munky.

We got rid of our cable service a couple years ago and went with NetFlix exclusively as well. I was reading all my news online, and the only time we watched cable TV was for the odd Food Network show one night a week.

We stashed our ~$100/month savings, and upgraded our 32" LCD to a 52" LCD last year. Since we primarily use the TV for movies, NetFlix works great!

I just have to say one thing:

Sunday Ticket.

Can't get that with the NetFlix.

I have also had issues with them in the marketing they do. They were one of the first to do popup and popunders. I tend to not support companies that try to force their ads down me throat.

I do know a lot of people that are quite satisfied with the service though.

My Roku box broke after one year so I currently have my $8.99/mo Netflix account on hold until I decide what to do. We currently have the basic Dish Network for the non-movie channels.

We've had it for couple of years now. I think we are payin like $15 bucks or so a month. Works great for us.
Frank, what is Sunday Ticket? and what pop ups are you talking about?

NFL Sunday Ticket. Allows one to watch all the football games on Sunday. It is a Directv exclusive.

When the popup and popunder thing first started Netflix was one of the companies leading the way in that aggravating style of advertising. As people started to work around such things they continued to be aggressive with them, circumventing the early popup blockers. Grr...

I meant when browsing the internet back in the days when Netscape was still a viable browser, when popups first starting appearing, when AOL was just starting to allow their members access to the internet.

I can hold a grudge a long time. :)

FrankZ - Haha... that is a long time! :LOL:

My Dad being a sports fan would never give up cable either. My love of sports reached it's pinnacle in 2004 when my Red Sox finally won the World Series, taking out the Yankees in an epic battle beforehand. I'm now content to just check the scores before I go to work.

Netflix really is great. Cable tv and internet is around 100/month for me. so i decided to cancel the tv, keep the internet and it is only 25/month now. since i do occasionally want to watch old tv shows, netflix is the way to go.

its only 9/month now, and im saving over 60/month now!!!

I have heard that hulu is doing something similar to netflix, and i might have to check that out soon. anyone heard anything about Hulu plus?

But now you don't have the FooD channel any more...
What are we going to do about that?

That is a good point. I used to watch the channel all the time, but lately i have been too busy. On the food network website, they have a lot of videos i watch at work sometimes.

but yeah you are right, i still want that channel back. :/

Deepak,

Not sure about the hulu plus. Netflix has been great so far. I like that if your streaming a show you don't have the commercial interruptions. Hulu still does that. Netflix does has some food network shows you just have to look for them. They need more Alton Brown.

Were not missing Direct TV at all, only watching maybe 3 channels, paying for HDTV and not receiving what were paying for isn't enough to keep us as customers. They make it easy to change, but not to cancel.

Munky.

Deepak,

Not sure about the hulu plus. Netflix has been great so far. I like that if your streaming a show you don't have the commercial interruptions. Hulu still does that. Netflix does has some food network shows you just have to look for them. They need more Alton Brown.

Were not missing Direct TV at all, only watching maybe 3 channels, paying for HDTV and not receiving what were paying for isn't enough to keep us as customers. They make it easy to change, but not to cancel.

Munky.

Do you ever feel like you have too many options? Sometimes when Im on netflix, i never know what to watch.

Recently I started to watch nip/tuck and that should last for awhile. Not a good show to watch while eating anything though :angel:

Nip / Tuck? Ohhh my!! No not a good thing to watch while eating chicken. Skinless anyone? :mrgreen: what's injected under that skin?.. Silicone chick..LOL!!

I did notice that netflix's options are many. They did a great job putting together other shows you might like into categories. Checked out Hulu yesterday they just don't have the selection that net offers.

Thismuch closer to finally having a complete set of CI bake ware.

Munky.

Back
Top Bottom