"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-15-2016, 04:46 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I know there are ways around to do this but I wish Netflix will allow their streaming contents to be downloadable. I'd like to be able to watch my downloaded streaming movies elsewhere, usually where there's no wi-fi or data available, like when you go camping, for instance...
When you go camping, you leave the advanced technology behind!

Old 08-15-2016, 04:46 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I have a VGA switch on my DW's PC between the PC and monitor. I bought a 25 foot combination VGA and audio cable on eBay. The cable is connected to the VGA input on our TV, and the audio goes to our surround sound input.
To complete the process I bought a wireless mouse so we can control the PC from the couch.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:51 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
When you go camping, you leave the advanced technology behind!
Umm.....Ok......
At least I don't take my car with me when I go camping....
Old 08-15-2016, 05:17 PM   #14
Master Chef

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Sure gives me something to think about. I fiddled with that @$%!*! thing for nearly 3 hours today and all I managed to do was erase all my icons on the blu ray home page.

According to a Sony message board I was reading, it's common for Blu Rays to just stop communicating with the internet. Frustrating!
Old 08-15-2016, 08:21 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Umm.....Ok......
At least I don't take my car with me when I go camping....

1950's chevy belair! NO MORE! :P
Old 08-16-2016, 07:44 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Speaking as a retired professional engineer, the most likely reason your bluray player used to work and then quit is probably either (1) it needs a firmware update (think "Windows update") or (2) it cannot connect to your WiFi router. The second is likely if you changed service providers around the time it quit working and are using a router the provider ... uh ... provided. :)

If your bluray is modern enough it should have a setting to check for firmware updates. If it's the router, there will be a section to program in the password etc. to match your router.

If all else fails a really good bluray costs only about $80, I recommend Sony products. A new one will have a lot of new features like Youtube, Amazon, etc.

Gawd, almost everything I own can get Netflix, 2 of my 3 TV sets, both bluray players, 3 Apple TVs... And the sad fact is I have two TV sets that I can't figure out how to operate. The smart TVs are smarter than me! Good thing I can just use the Apple TVs or the bluray players to get that fancy Internet stuff.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:33 PM   #17
Master Chef

Thank you for your reply, Greg.

I tried updating the firmware - didn't work. I still have the same server. Maybe my 5 year old Blu Ray is a dinosaur now, I don't know. Still plays DVD's fine, so I'll hang on to it for now.

I've poured over reviews on the newer Sony Blu Rays, and the average 50-65% approval ratings (with many much lower percentages of unhappy customer reviews) just doesn't cut it with me. I'm thinking I'll probably end up with the Roku as others here use.

Thank you again for your response.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I've had good luck with my Sony gear including both blurays. Now if only I could figure out how to operate my Samsung smart TVs. Durn things are smarter than me! ... And me too old to have children! ;)