New bathtub question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
DW and I are re-doing our bathroom. We are getting a new tub (among other work). This project is having very quickly (probably tomorrow). The work is being done by my wifes cousin which is the only reason we have no problem rushing into this. We know he will not take us for a ride.

Here is what I need to know though and kind of quickly. What are the different types of tubs and what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

He is suggesting acrylic. That is what my in laws have and I really like theirs. My dad thought that acrylic scratches easily though. He has an enameled tub. I like theirs too, but that is probably more expensive.

What do you guys think?

Acrylic would be easier to fix if it scratches (buffing). If you chip enamel it is a real booger to fix.

I'd vote acrylic. Easier to clean too.

I tell you the promlem I have with acrylic is that they do shift a little causing the silicon to crack and need replacing quicker. We ended up replacing ours after resiliconing it twice in its sixth year. Its tiny amounts of shift I know, and we were in a very old house, but it drove me mad. Its easy to clean them with non abrasive cleaner though, if that is your concern.

I have to say, we went back to steel, knowing that our place is going to be rented while we are in italy and we can easily reenamal it. Yep, its cold when you get it, but I think the water stays hot longer, it feels more sturdy and I prefer the way it looks.

If price were no option I would go for ceramic. I saw some interesting wood ones, in Archtectural Digest I think, but that just doesn't appeal one bit.

Cast iron/porcelain also scratches, just not as easily. Go with the acrylic and avoid abrasive cleansers. We use one of those scrubbing bubbles spray foam products and it works fine.

On a related subject. I installed sliding glass doors in place of the shower curtain and I'm very glad I did.

Is this to be a tub and shower combo? If I were getting one of those, I would prefer a small jacuzzi tub with a graceful round shower compartment at one end. A good friend of mine has one like that in her bathroom, and it's great because it does not take up more space than your ordinary apartment bathtub, but you still get the benefit of having the whirlpool!

Just my $.02! :)

ChefJune it will be a shower tub combo, but we opted agains the jacuzzi type. That is what my in-laws have and they never use it. Neither my wife nor I am bath type people so I doubt we would either. I do like the looks of those though, but at double the cost it just is not worth it for us.

OK you guys have convinced me that acrylic will work for us. Keeping it clean is out biggest concern. That is actually one of the largest reasons we are replacing what we have. It sounds like acrylic is very easy to keep clean so that is great news.

I use the Scrubbing Bubbles that Andy mentioned too and a non abrasive scrubbing sponge (you can get the medium, gentle, etc textured ones with the sponge on one side and teh scrubbie side on the other. Boy I didn't describe that well!). It works great as long as you clean it regularly. You can also use those Mr Clean Magic Erasers for tougher spots.

Total agreement on the acrylic tub. My old house had the original '55 tub. Great thing, took a beating and always looked good, but *yikes* was it cold when you got in, no matter how hot the water was!

Our new house has an acrylic soaking tub. Since I'm in it every night reading, a good tub was high on my priority list for a home. It's warm and cozy and super easy to clean!

As for the jacuzzi type, my parents have had one of those for probably 25 years & it was a great investment. Not particularly for them, but for the grandkids! GB, think of your little one splashing in a jacuzzi tub full of Mr. Bubble!

OK here is my follow up question. The tub we are getting is a Kohler. Does anyone here not like Kohler and if not then why not?

jkath said:
As for the jacuzzi type, my parents have had one of those for probably 25 years & it was a great investment. Not particularly for them, but for the grandkids! GB, think of your little one splashing in a jacuzzi tub full of Mr. Bubble!
If considering a jacuzzi tub, consider one big enough for 2 adults.:brows:

GB, I think the kohler plumbing products are good.

I clean my bathtub with At Ease, a biodegradable paste cleaner from Shaklee. There's no chemicals to get up your nostrils and make you sneeze, and the tub always comes out sparkling! :D

vagriller said:
If considering a jacuzzi tub, consider one big enough for 2 adults.:brows:
That only works if your bathroom is large enough to accommodate it!

Last edited by a moderator:
don't have tub knowledge, geebs, i say a batch of some bathtub gin would be great!:)

Last edited:
I'd go with acrylic, it's much easier to clean than porcelain. As far as Kohler, that is a very good brand, we have that brand of toilets. My tub however is the jacuzzi brand and we never use it, we prefer showers unless we have aching muscles, and thats when a tub is perfect.

Back
Top Bottom