"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #41
Certified Pretend Chef

I didn't get the DVR function. We seldom feel the need to record something because it's "unmissable"

Old 03-05-2008, 12:12 PM   #42
Chief Eating Officer

Recording is a great feature of DVR's, but it is only one of many other features that make it such a great product.

My wife recordes the awards shows like the Academy Awards. She then watches it the next day or whenever she wants. This way she is able to skip over all the commercials and applause and other fluff. A 2 hour award show can then be watched in about 20 minutes

What I love it most for though is all the times that my wife decides to talk to me at that critical moment right when the show is telling you that one piece of info you have been waiting an hour for (who the killer is, how it was done, etc.). I can now rewind so that I do not miss that sort of stuff when she picks that time to ask if I emptied the litter box.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #43
Certified Pretend Chef

Good point, GB. I may have to reconsider. I can't tell you how many times one of us turns to the other and asks, "What did he say?".
Old 03-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #44
Chief Eating Officer

It is great for moments like that. Most even have a button that automatically rewinds just a few seconds (5 or so) for those very times.

I also love it when I need to go to the bathroom or answer the phone or get a drink or whatever. You pause it, go do what you need to do, then when you come back you can fast forward over the next set of commercials.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
It is great for moments like that. Most even have a button that automatically rewinds just a few seconds (5 or so) for those very times.

I also love it when I need to go to the bathroom or answer the phone or get a drink or whatever. You pause it, go do what you need to do, then when you come back you can fast forward over the next set of commercials.
I love my new DVD player because it will do just that.... you can hit a button and it will back up just a bit and automatically start playing again. Being hard of hearing that's a great feature, but if I had DVR I could do that to also, those 2 hour Academies you mentioned would take me 3

My ultimate goal is to have a TV in every room so I can keep up with the program. And it's not that complicated anymore with wireless TV tuners.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

quick question: should i spend the extra $400 bucks and go for the newer 120 hz frame rate technology on the samsung 1080p sets? or is the older, standard response time and lower contrast ration ok?
i've looked at the samsungs and the sonys, and imo, the samsungs were very slightly better, but for a good price i'm open to either.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Can you find any reviews anywhere?
I went with the Samsung LNT 4665F and am pretty happy with it. I just looked and it is 60 hz.
400 bucks..... that'll by a small HDTV for the kitchen! (lol)
Old 03-05-2008, 05:41 PM   #48
Chief Eating Officer

I do not know about the frame rates, but I do know that I could not be happier with my Sony which must be the older technology. If you have the extra $400 to blow then go for it, but my guess is that you would be plenty happy with the older ones.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #49
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
quick question: should i spend the extra $400 bucks and go for the newer 120 hz frame rate technology on the samsung 1080p sets? or is the older, standard response time and lower contrast ration ok?
i've looked at the samsungs and the sonys, and imo, the samsungs were very slightly better, but for a good price i'm open to either.

From what I've read, the 120 hz is especially useful when watching sports or other high speed action. I was shown a side by side demo in a showroom of a live cable broadcast and you can see the difference.

I bought my TV online at Abe's of Maine (located in Edison, NJ). It was a very good price and free shipping. Much better than store prices. I bought the Sony for the price of a Mitsubishi or Samsung.

Check out avsforum.com to read what the AV geeks have to say.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:10 AM   #50
Executive Chef

HDTV Question - Turning it on and off - OK?

Hello,

Do you think it is OK to watch an HDTV for 5-10 minutes and then turn it off. And to do this over its lifetime? I don't want to shorten the life of the HDTV.