New HDTV!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I had the cable box/DVR hooked up last Friday and have had the opportunity to watch a lot of HDTV.

I have to say I am amazed at the clarity and depth of the HD images. It also doesn't hurt that it's a lot bigger than what we had.

I haven't used the DVR function yet to record a show but I have used the 'bakup 5 seconds' feature a couple of times to hear something I missed the first time through.

I have a Sony WEGA I had been watching before this HDTV and it has an incredibly crisp clear picture. I had a hard time imagining how much better HDTV could be. I had no idea there could be so much of a difference.

My sincere thanks to all of you who offered advice, links, information and encouragement to help me with the purchase decision. You made me a wiser and more frugal consumer.

Now, if the baseball season would just start...

When I'm not actually "watching" TV, I've gotten into leaving it on ESPN HD. When they start showing college basketball at night it's amazing the clarity. And I don't even follow college BB. I will say I'm getting a bit used to it now, but it still rocks!

When I'm not actually "watching" TV, I've gotten into leaving it on ESPN HD. When they start showing college basketball at night it's amazing the clarity. And I don't even follow college BB. I will say I'm getting a bit used to it now, but it still rocks!

I know what you mean. I have been watching Celtics games and they are amazing on the new TV.

We are going to buy a new flat screen plasma tv very soon. You have all given me a lot to think about. Ours will be a 42 inch one. Looks like Sony is a good one. Friends have a Panasonic which they like . Any opinions on that one?
Where do you go to look up various tvs and prices?

I don't know about the Panasonic.

There are some links earlier in this thread that lead you to lots of good info on TV's.

We are going to buy a new flat screen plasma tv very soon. You have all given me a lot to think about. Ours will be a 42 inch one. Looks like Sony is a good one. Friends have a Panasonic which they like . Any opinions on that one?
Where do you go to look up various tvs and prices?

This is my favorite site for buying anything electronic.
Product Reviews - Welcome to CNET Reviews - CNET.com

The of course there is Amazon and their customer reviews.
There's another one, too.... it was posted in my topic on HD TVs, but I don't have it on this PC. It has a good review section and a forum that you can do a search on whatever set you are interested in. Someone will have one and either be saying how great it is or b####in' about it :rolleyes:

I've read good things on Panasonics and one of their models is supposed to be "the one" all others are compared to. I don't remember if it was a plasma or an LCD, though.

andy, thanks for the link to avs forum. i'm more confused now than ever, about which hdtv to buy. the 40" sony xbr4, or the samsung 4071.

but at least i have a lot more info to agonize over. :wacko:

itk, i asked the experts, and they said it depends on how often you turn it on and off. the biggest risks are to the power supply (easily replaced if needed), or the backlight (not easily replaced).
it's ok to turn it on for 5 or 10 minutes, so long as you're only doing that a few times a day. in fact, you're saving energy.
but if you're turning it on and off for 5 or 10 minutes a few times an hour, then you end up stressing the power supply trying to provide the high voltage for the backlight, which is usually a type of flourescent lamp. flourescents eventually burn out, so it would be better to leave it on.

somewhere on a curve, there's the difference between saving money on energy and having to spend it on repairs.

hope this helps.

thanks buckytom for checking to see about turning on and off! Now I question myself about even thinking about turning it on unless I am almost SURE I won't have to leave in next 15 minutes! I want to do what is best but it sure isn't easy, if you are conscious of all the results. Getting something new and expensive is one thing I want to respect. We all should.

Thanks for your help and time buckytom. I certainly appreciate. Now if I only can remember and not get into old habits.

Back
Top Bottom