New iPhone Apps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey GB, thanks for info.
I was on the phone all day yesterday.
I mean all day.
Husband was home sicker than a dog, while I was computerizing the classifieds. He thinks my brain as well as others wanting to get one that is unlocked and from a perfect stranger is simply foolish. So, with check in hand and name of dealer, I'm being sent to Apple today. I'll bite the bullet and buy new, get new contract [ick] and spend a truckload every month.

Hoping to exchange updates and upgrades with others so all can mix and match, but having said that, I have no idea if that sentence even makes sense, see I am so uninformed.

Question about the apps.......do I get some built into my purchase or do I buy them separate? And separate question, 8 or 16 kb or mb [or whatever it's called:wacko:]?
is it worth the extra money for the extra memory?
GB if you want, this part can get deleted, don't want to sway from ot...........thanks.

No problem Lefselover. We can continue in this thread as it does pertain to apps.

First off, I think you are making the right choice to get a new one and have it under contract.

Yes it will come pre-loaded with certain apps. Those pre-loaded apps are on the phone for good. you could not delete them even if you wanted. Some of those apps that you will have when you buy the phone are: Calander, clock (with timers), stocks, calculator, weather, Notes, Youtube, and others.

There are tons of apps that you can choose to get. Some are free and others cost money. 99% of the ones I have are free. I have only paid for 2 apps and it was money well spent. They are productivity apps that let me deal with tasks and notes and sync those items with my computer.

As far as 8 or 16, it depends on how you will be using it. 8 is actually a lot of space. I do wish I had 16, but 8 is not inadequate at all. I have a lot of music and videos on mine along with ring tones and contacts and apps and podcasts. If I find I am running out of space then it is easy enough to remove some music or videos to free up space. If you are looking to save a few bucks then go with the 8. if you have a little money to spend then the 16 would be great. You will not be sorry either way.

Thanks GB. Since it's going to be my first, and I know many other new phones will follow once I figure this out, I should go with the 16 and hubby wants me to. They say if you want to watch many movies or have much music that you'd like to have on there, they the 16 is best. I have an iPod and I use it all the time and especially with and during my job. It's non obtrusive and doesn't get in the way. I don't need a ton of space for movies and songs, I'm satisfied which is why the 8 looks better to me. I'll ask today about this when I go to make my purchase and I'll ask about the most popular apps too, that way, if they sound good to me, I'll just buy them on the spot.

Thanks for starting this thread cause now, instead of being annoyed at the thought, I'm getting excited about this prospect. Now, white or black, and what's candy bar style? See I am soooooo outta the loop:-p

This will end up replacing your existing iPod. I have a 60gig iPod that I do not use anymore now that I have an iPhone.

You will not be able to get the apps when you purchase the phone at the store. You will need to do that on your computer through iTunes or on the actual phone itself. It is very easy and you will have a lot of fun finding apps that look like things you will want.

the iPhone is by far the coolest most fun piece of technology I have ever owned. Mine is almost a year old and the excitement of using it has not worn off one bit. Just think, you will be able to use DC anywhere now :)

Hey GB, is one of the apps being able to text or use the internet? Do I need to pay for those services up front? Or are they combined with buying the phone? I have my sim from now dead phone that had it's funeral yesterday. I can use that I hear and hopefully, it still has on it the 16 messages I've saved for personal reasons. Also GB, I use my iPod often times for about 6 hours on end without shutting off. I'd hate to delete that much charge off any iPhone. I mean how long do they stay charged?

I like the Pandora thing that Corazon mentioned cause maybe I could get opera off of there{?}. Ooh, RedKitty, I want that urbanspoon. And JillBurgh, maybe with my new phone you can just email me your incredible recipes, right? YEAH! I'm so excited!

Yes it will have texting and internet access right out of the box. Both text and internet are included with your AT&T iPhone plan. Internet access is unlimited. You can get different levels of texting depending on how much you want to pay. The basic plan comes with 200 texts a month (I think). I can count on one hand the number of times I have texted so for me the basic is fine. If you text a lot then make sure you get a plan with enough text messages for you.

The phone comes with a wall charger so if you are near an outlet you can always plug it in to charge. I do not know how long your charge actually will last as it depends on a number of factors. You will need to play with it to see. I bought a car charger so anytime I am in the car I plug it in. It tops off the charge so I am almost never below a full battery.

I don't text a lot. I'd rather talk to the person.But on occasion, I do send one out usually cause I'm replying to one.I only need the minimun.Car charger is important for me.

I like the Pandora thing that Corazon mentioned cause maybe I could get opera off of there{?}. Ooh, RedKitty, I want that urbanspoon. And JillBurgh, maybe with my new phone you can just email me your incredible recipes, right? YEAH! I'm so excited!

Well, I have the recipes page mobile-enabled. If you go to the website you can enter your cell phone number and have the web link set directly to your phone. It's bare-bones, though, and you have to have web access anyway.

On an iPhone note: My brother is getting new remote-control window shades for his house that are iPhone-compatible. All of his lights and blinds will go on/off and up/down through his iPhone! The blinds are also light-sensitive so they know when to go up/down based on the amount of sunshine..

ok all you smart iPhone users/owners.
I bought it, hubby is holding it right now.
get this, the guy at the Apple store didn't even show me or tell me how to turn it on or off. it's been on all night since I bought it. who knew there was a little button on top to turn on/off?
now, no instructions came with it on any thing, not the basics, not how to use apps.
I have no left brain, God forgot:huh:.
hubby does but he's going to work.
can someone please link me a place to learn about the above?
otherwise, this thing's going back to the store.......:glare:
thanks in advance........

Here is a page that has the users guide.

Did you have it plugged into the computer all night? It should not stay on all night. It shuts off after a certain amount of time.

Have you activated it through iTunes yet or did they activate it? You need to do that before anything will work. it is very easy to do. Make sure your iTunes is updated to the latest version. There should be instuctions in the box about how to plug it in and activate it. I am pretty sure once iTunes is up to date you just plug the phone in and it walks you through the process, but make sure to read the instructions and follow them as there may be a particular order you need to do things in.

No instructions at all? Not even a CD?
I know my Blackberry came with just the basic instructions. Which is fine by me. I hate thick instruction books that are only 4" square and have to be written in the smallest font possible. I learned more about it at RIM's website than by talking to my service provider or visiting their website.
Have you checked out Apple's website for phone specific instructions?

Heyyyy, that post wasn't there when I answered Lefes ;)
That's exactly what I thought they would have.

No prob. I figured that is what happened.

Lefse, one of the reasons they do not include a manual (aside from trying to be more green) is that it is constantly changing so the manual needs to change with it. They update the software on the phone all the time, which is a very good thing so far, so new features are being added and that needs to reflect in the manual. If they sent you a printed manual then it would not be accurate when the next software release came out.

Here is a page that has the users guide. Thanks GB. I'll go there now.

Did you have it plugged into the computer all night? It should not stay on all night. It shuts off after a certain amount of time. Was I supposed to have it plugged in to the computer? No, just sitting on the table being 'on'.

Have you activated it through iTunes yet or did they activate it? Uh? No and I don't know. You need to do that before anything will work. Oh, thank you for that info, did not know a thing. I took the sim out of my dead cell to transfer phone numbers and hoped to transfer voice mails too, which wasn't possible. the salesman told me to call him with any questions, my thought is, how about all questions as I know nothing. it is very easy to do. Make sure your iTunes is updated to the latest version. There should be instuctions in the box about how to plug it in and activate it. I am pretty sure once iTunes is up to date you just plug the phone in and it walks you through the process, but make sure to read the instructions and follow them as there may be a particular order you need to do things in.
you're very helpful here GB. I thank you and am anxious to get this off the ground....
No instructions at all? Not even a CD?
I know my Blackberry came with just the basic instructions. Which is fine by me. I hate thick instruction books that are only 4" square and have to be written in the smallest font possible. I learned more about it at RIM's website than by talking to my service provider or visiting their website.
Have you checked out Apple's website for phone specific instructions?
My husband opened the box [that I couldn't, see no left brain:mellow:] and found a FingerTips thing. I did go into Apple website and if it was there, I couldn't find it. Way too big of a website with way too much in it. I know I searched in the search bar and put in all sorts of verbiage which again proved futile. No, no CD. GB's link is gonna work though.
I'm printing it out and I'll carry it with me. On my down time, I'll figure some things out which will lead me to other knowledge as well.

My pleasure Lefse. Let me know if you have any other questions or need any more help. I will be happy to do anything I can to give you a hand.

I asked them at APPLE yesterday about the apps.
The wo-man :huh: told me that although do they come from iTunes or whatever, they still can harm the iPhone. So I decided at least for now since I'm still deciding if this 'computer' is for me. She/he [sorry but really very strange to know how to address this person] informed me that by the way, this is a computer you're holding, a computer that just happens to make phone calls. They informed me that it is supposed to be used for a few calls an hour lasting only about 3-5 minutes each. WHAT? What woman only talks that much?:huh: Showed me how to close pages open, like I knew that, and also how to use the GPS. Again, yesterday I was ready to toss the thing from here to eternity and back...........aAArgh

Please do not listen to that wo-man. I have never heard such misleading advice. This phone is not designed for 3-5 minute calls. It is a cell phone just like any other cell phone. You can talk for hours on it and yes it is designed to do that.

It is NOT a computer although is can do some things a computer does. it is a cell phone that lets you surt the internet and play music.

Just talking about the phone part, it is the best cell phone I have ever owned. If I were judging it solely on the telephone then I would still give it very high marks.

That Apple person telling you the apps can harm your phone is very misinformed. I have never heard of anyones phone being damaged by an app. The worst I have heard happening is an app might make things not work properly (and sometime in very minor ways), but you can always delete the app and restore your phone (both very easy things to do) and everything goes back to working as it should.

I would suggest going back to the Apple store and talking to someone different. The person you spoke with really has no idea what they are talking about at all.

Back
Top Bottom