"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-08-2008, 08:50 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

No instructions at all? Not even a CD?
I know my Blackberry came with just the basic instructions. Which is fine by me. I hate thick instruction books that are only 4" square and have to be written in the smallest font possible. I learned more about it at RIM's website than by talking to my service provider or visiting their website.
Have you checked out Apple's website for phone specific instructions?

Old 10-08-2008, 09:04 AM   #52
Chief Eating Officer

pacanis, see my link above. It is a link to the users manual of Apples site.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:49 AM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Heyyyy, that post wasn't there when I answered Lefes
That's exactly what I thought they would have.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #54
Chief Eating Officer

No prob. I figured that is what happened.

Lefse, one of the reasons they do not include a manual (aside from trying to be more green) is that it is constantly changing so the manual needs to change with it. They update the software on the phone all the time, which is a very good thing so far, so new features are being added and that needs to reflect in the manual. If they sent you a printed manual then it would not be accurate when the next software release came out.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:43 AM   #55
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Here is a page that has the users guide. Thanks GB. I'll go there now.

Did you have it plugged into the computer all night? It should not stay on all night. It shuts off after a certain amount of time. Was I supposed to have it plugged in to the computer? No, just sitting on the table being 'on'.

Have you activated it through iTunes yet or did they activate it? Uh? No and I don't know. You need to do that before anything will work. Oh, thank you for that info, did not know a thing. I took the sim out of my dead cell to transfer phone numbers and hoped to transfer voice mails too, which wasn't possible. the salesman told me to call him with any questions, my thought is, how about all questions as I know nothing. it is very easy to do. Make sure your iTunes is updated to the latest version. There should be instuctions in the box about how to plug it in and activate it. I am pretty sure once iTunes is up to date you just plug the phone in and it walks you through the process, but make sure to read the instructions and follow them as there may be a particular order you need to do things in.
you're very helpful here GB. I thank you and am anxious to get this off the ground....
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
No instructions at all? Not even a CD?
I know my Blackberry came with just the basic instructions. Which is fine by me. I hate thick instruction books that are only 4" square and have to be written in the smallest font possible. I learned more about it at RIM's website than by talking to my service provider or visiting their website.
Have you checked out Apple's website for phone specific instructions?
My husband opened the box [that I couldn't, see no left brain] and found a FingerTips thing. I did go into Apple website and if it was there, I couldn't find it. Way too big of a website with way too much in it. I know I searched in the search bar and put in all sorts of verbiage which again proved futile. No, no CD. GB's link is gonna work though.
I'm printing it out and I'll carry it with me. On my down time, I'll figure some things out which will lead me to other knowledge as well.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #56
Chief Eating Officer

My pleasure Lefse. Let me know if you have any other questions or need any more help. I will be happy to do anything I can to give you a hand.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #57
Executive Chef

I asked them at APPLE yesterday about the apps.
The wo-man told me that although do they come from iTunes or whatever, they still can harm the iPhone. So I decided at least for now since I'm still deciding if this 'computer' is for me. She/he [sorry but really very strange to know how to address this person] informed me that by the way, this is a computer you're holding, a computer that just happens to make phone calls. They informed me that it is supposed to be used for a few calls an hour lasting only about 3-5 minutes each. WHAT? What woman only talks that much? Showed me how to close pages open, like I knew that, and also how to use the GPS. Again, yesterday I was ready to toss the thing from here to eternity and back...........aAArgh
Old 10-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #58
Chief Eating Officer

Please do not listen to that wo-man. I have never heard such misleading advice. This phone is not designed for 3-5 minute calls. It is a cell phone just like any other cell phone. You can talk for hours on it and yes it is designed to do that.

It is NOT a computer although is can do some things a computer does. it is a cell phone that lets you surt the internet and play music.

Just talking about the phone part, it is the best cell phone I have ever owned. If I were judging it solely on the telephone then I would still give it very high marks.

That Apple person telling you the apps can harm your phone is very misinformed. I have never heard of anyones phone being damaged by an app. The worst I have heard happening is an app might make things not work properly (and sometime in very minor ways), but you can always delete the app and restore your phone (both very easy things to do) and everything goes back to working as it should.

I would suggest going back to the Apple store and talking to someone different. The person you spoke with really has no idea what they are talking about at all.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #59
Executive Chef

PM to you GB..........
too much to write here........