New Kitchen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Romany123

Senior Cook
We live in a 18th century house called "Shambles" that we have been renovating for the last 4 years. Part of the problems with old houses are, they can be damp and cold (we have dry walled the house using Thermo board which has tackled both of these problems), They can be dark ( we have used light reflecting paints, mirrors and light furnishings. we have also replaced the floorboards with reclaimed redwood stripped pine lapboards). Everything we have done to the house has been in harmony with Conservation area in which we live, and is also Eco friendly.

Finally
The Kitchen. The house over the years has been extended and part of that extension has been a flat roof room in the garden. It is 17 and a half foot long and 9 foot wide and we have debated long and hard with what to do with it. It came to me a couple of months ago that it would make an ideal galley Kitchen. Our original kitchen was quite large 16 by 12, but somehow did not quite sit right, and could be used for better purposes. The last of the Kitchen fitters moved out yesterday and the new Kitchen is MINE at last. It may not be big but it is beautiful and both the large windows and the patio doors have a garden outlook to inspire me
The last of the remaining renovation work is to have a slate pitched roof put on the flat roofed extension (Kitchen) and renovate what was the old kitchen, which is so full of holes that I am, as we speak, (metaphorically) am plaster boarding now (horrid job). Hopefully in a month or so it will all be finished and I can put my feet up. :)

I hope we get some pictures posted!! It sounds lovely. We live in a rented 19th century end terrace cottage, and apparently (before our time) the kitchen was under the stairs. The old bloke that lived there could only have had a single gas burner and an ice box, it's tiny. My computer desk lives in there, and only just!

Our kitchen was built over the yard, and used the old external wall. It's the best feature of our tiny house.

I live in a house, built in the early 1800s, in a conservation area and luckily have a huge kitchen. It used to be a country-style kitchen with an Aga. But a few years ago we had the aga removed and remodelled the kitchen to a much more contemporary feel with big double oven and a hob with a wok burner. It still has the original floor and is cool in summer, warm in winter.

Morning Ishbel

"with big double oven and a hob with a wok burner"

I have one of those to. I like the double oven as I do not like to cook my bread in a convection oven, and I love Wok cooking

I cant wait to see it Dave. Our house is the same its called "the estatehouse" and the kitchen is in need of some major love and a redo Ive been told i get my new kitchen in the winter.

But the kitchen is SOOO bog to renovate it will be a project

cant wait to see your pics

Well I have managed to get a couple of , before and after pics so lts see if it works.

Before, I had to studwork this out as it was a strange shape, and needed another window for more light, which I also put in.

422580450206_0_ALB.jpg

After. Small but I love it.The picture was taken at about 7 in the evening and it is still nice and bright.

772370450206_0_ALB.jpg

One of these days you will get over here Jean.
"The Esatae House" what a great name Jen. "Shambles" is Quite small. Built sometime in the 17 hundreds, we love her.

Romany123 said:
Well I have managed to get a couple of , before and after pics so lts see if it works.

Before, I had to studwork this out as it was a strange shape, and needed another window for more light, which I also put in.

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos2152/2/50/4/58/22/4/422580450206_0_ALB.jpg

After. Small but I love it.The picture was taken at about 7 in the evening and it is still nice and bright.

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos2039/2/50/4/37/72/7/772370450206_0_ALB.jpg

One of these days you will get over here Jean.
"The Esatae House" what a great name Jen. "Shambles" is Quite small. Built sometime in the 17 hundreds, we love her.

Photos didn't work for me.

Sorry Vagrilla
I seem to get them fine, perhaps some body else can tell you what is wrong. I remember a few years back Jean ( CJS) had the same problem. If you are checking this thread Jean, can you help?

I enjoy reading this stuff -- I own an 1854 house which is definitely O-L-D by U.S. standards (although I know not across the pond)! I still don't know what to do about my kitchen. We had the cabinets torn apart and refubished (we painted, but had a pro put new drawer boxes and shelves in), and had corian counters done (considered stone, but the kitchen tends to be cold in the winter, and I didn't want anything that would make it seem colder yet). Some day I'd like the floors stripped and polyeurethaned and the walls between counters and cupboards/shelves tiled, then maybe I can make up my mind abou the upper parts of the other walls (lower part is beadboard siding that we painted when we did the cabinetry). I really love the kitchen, but tend to get so bogged down in decisions that I do nothing, and hubby and are are terrible at DIY.

Thanks for that Qsis
Claire
Have you thought about having your walls insulated? it has made a huge difference to "Shambles"

Licia
Seems some get it and others don't. Sorry about that, must be really annoying. Perhaps one of the Moderators might know what is going on.:(

It probably has something to do w/your 'cookies' or virus program.

I did see the pics, and they're GREAT!!!! Isn't it wonderful when you do something like a kitchen redo start to finish? Lots of work, lol, but when it's done, you're just grinning ear-to-ear!

" If you are checking this thread Jean, can you help?"

I donned my red cape and found my instructions for seeing pix Dave posts!!!

right click on the red 'X'
left click on 'properties'
copy the http address (URL)
click 'cancel' box
paste address in Address line
click enter

Love the kitchen Dave - also recognized a couple of 'our' cookbooks!! What are the countertops? Is the stove gas? Looks big and sturdy and great!!

I had similar flooring in the barn and I just loved it!

I did see the pics, and they're GREAT!!!! Isn't it wonderful when you do something like a kitchen redo start to finish? Lots of work, lol, but when it's done, you're just grinning ear-to-ear!

Marmalady
You got it in one :)

Hi ya Jean
The stove is the same one as was in my old kitchen Zenith Range master ( same as Billy's) The top is just bog standard laminate, and the "Books" lol I guess you know all the books I have bought since the 4 and a half years that I have known you :)

cjs said:
" If you are checking this thread Jean, can you help?"

I donned my red cape and found my instructions for seeing pix Dave posts!!!

right click on the red 'X'
left click on 'properties'
copy the http address (URL)
click 'cancel' box
paste address in Address line
click enter

Love the kitchen Dave - also recognized a couple of 'our' cookbooks!! What are the countertops? Is the stove gas? Looks big and sturdy and great!!

I had similar flooring in the barn and I just loved it!

I don't see a red X. I get the following page when I click the link. Romany, if you want to email me the pics I can upload them.

Attachments

• printscreen.JPG
    printscreen.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 164

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom