"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-26-2006, 03:33 AM   #1
Senior Cook

New Kitchen

We live in a 18th century house called "Shambles" that we have been renovating for the last 4 years. Part of the problems with old houses are, they can be damp and cold (we have dry walled the house using Thermo board which has tackled both of these problems), They can be dark ( we have used light reflecting paints, mirrors and light furnishings. we have also replaced the floorboards with reclaimed redwood stripped pine lapboards). Everything we have done to the house has been in harmony with Conservation area in which we live, and is also Eco friendly.

Finally
The Kitchen. The house over the years has been extended and part of that extension has been a flat roof room in the garden. It is 17 and a half foot long and 9 foot wide and we have debated long and hard with what to do with it. It came to me a couple of months ago that it would make an ideal galley Kitchen. Our original kitchen was quite large 16 by 12, but somehow did not quite sit right, and could be used for better purposes. The last of the Kitchen fitters moved out yesterday and the new Kitchen is MINE at last. It may not be big but it is beautiful and both the large windows and the patio doors have a garden outlook to inspire me
The last of the remaining renovation work is to have a slate pitched roof put on the flat roofed extension (Kitchen) and renovate what was the old kitchen, which is so full of holes that I am, as we speak, (metaphorically) am plaster boarding now (horrid job). Hopefully in a month or so it will all be finished and I can put my feet up.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:47 AM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I hope we get some pictures posted!! It sounds lovely. We live in a rented 19th century end terrace cottage, and apparently (before our time) the kitchen was under the stairs. The old bloke that lived there could only have had a single gas burner and an ice box, it's tiny. My computer desk lives in there, and only just!

Our kitchen was built over the yard, and used the old external wall. It's the best feature of our tiny house.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:01 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Good mornibg Kyles
I am trying to figure out how to post pic's as soon as I do I will post them
Old 07-26-2006, 04:25 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I live in a house, built in the early 1800s, in a conservation area and luckily have a huge kitchen. It used to be a country-style kitchen with an Aga. But a few years ago we had the aga removed and remodelled the kitchen to a much more contemporary feel with big double oven and a hob with a wok burner. It still has the original floor and is cool in summer, warm in winter.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:23 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Morning Ishbel

"with big double oven and a hob with a wok burner"

I have one of those to. I like the double oven as I do not like to cook my bread in a convection oven, and I love Wok cooking
Old 07-26-2006, 05:38 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
I cant wait to see it Dave. Our house is the same its called "the estatehouse" and the kitchen is in need of some major love and a redo Ive been told i get my new kitchen in the winter.

But the kitchen is SOOO bog to renovate it will be a project

cant wait to see your pics
Old 07-26-2006, 10:52 AM   #7
Sous Chef

What I would give to see Shambles!! Your house just fascinates me, Dave!!
Old 07-26-2006, 11:34 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Well I have managed to get a couple of , before and after pics so lts see if it works.

Before, I had to studwork this out as it was a strange shape, and needed another window for more light, which I also put in.

After. Small but I love it.The picture was taken at about 7 in the evening and it is still nice and bright.

One of these days you will get over here Jean.
"The Esatae House" what a great name Jen. "Shambles" is Quite small. Built sometime in the 17 hundreds, we love her.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:00 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romany123
Well I have managed to get a couple of , before and after pics so lts see if it works.

Before, I had to studwork this out as it was a strange shape, and needed another window for more light, which I also put in.

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photo...0206_0_ALB.jpg

After. Small but I love it.The picture was taken at about 7 in the evening and it is still nice and bright.

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photo...0206_0_ALB.jpg

One of these days you will get over here Jean.
"The Esatae House" what a great name Jen. "Shambles" is Quite small. Built sometime in the 17 hundreds, we love her.
Photos didn't work for me.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:19 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Sorry Vagrilla
I seem to get them fine, perhaps some body else can tell you what is wrong. I remember a few years back Jean ( CJS) had the same problem. If you are checking this thread Jean, can you help?