"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Some dogs are "double" dumpers. So you may need to learn if she poops once...walks around a bit, poops again. Some are triples <g>. Just keep walking around until she goes. Don't talk to her or distract her from doing her business....let her do what she needs to do and lets you figure out her pattern.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

That was a very interesting read Munky.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Patience, perseverance, consistency and lots of vinegar. The vinegar is a safe inexpensive and effective way to neutralize the odor from the pup's "accidents". If the dog "potties" in that spot or any other indoor spot, I would put her on a short lead and take her with you while you remove the "evidence" to the appropriate place in the yard. Show her "her" spot and try to use the same area each time for poo. Obviously you can't leave days worth in that spot, but leaving one "offering" so that she can smell her own scent until she is totally trained might help. Good luck Claire, pets as you know can bring us so much joy!

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking
Old 03-10-2011, 02:42 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Some dogs are "double" dumpers. So you may need to learn if she poops once...walks around a bit, poops again. Some are triples <g>. Just keep walking around until she goes. Don't talk to her or distract her from doing her business....let her do what she needs to do and lets you figure out her pattern.
Max is a single dumper, but a profligate pisser
I put wood chips down on one place on the lawn and he dumps on that he also only likes to urinate on spiky bushes
Click image for larger version

Name:	taba 123.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	10184
Old 03-10-2011, 07:05 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Max is a single dumper, but a profligate pisser
I put wood chips down on one place on the lawn and he dumps on that he also only likes to urinate on spiky bushes
Attachment 10184
Nice pic... but the "prolificate" pee-er is usually a boy thing <g>. Did you know that dogs have 15 different positions re: to take a leak?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:04 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

I would not encourage doing anything negative (rubbing the dog's nose in the poo/pee, etc.). Instead, I would encourage you to devote your energy to taking her out, waiting until she does her business, and giving her a "high value" treat (boiled chicken liver, steak) and marking it with a work (I prefer the word "yes" but you can use whatever word works for you--cool, woohoo, whatever). Wait her out, clean up after her (human error--she's just doing what dogs do--) and make sure she doesn't have a medical condition that is making her poo before you can get her outside.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #27
Master Chef

I'm definitely doing the vinegar thing. It was recommended for cleaning the floor in that area anyway (I just liked the shine I get from Orange Glo or Mrs. Murphy's better, but vinegar sounds like just the trick.

My last dog was a two-er, but quickly learned to respond to "go potty again" and she'd go back for a round of the yard and go again. This dog is a little older (I had one previous dog from birth and really didn't have to train her much because she'd just follow her Mom and do what she did, her Mom we had from 4 weeks and lived in Hawaii, where if we were home, the door to the fenced in yard was open, and she just sort of preferred to step outside). So at 8 mos it's going to be a little more of a challenge. The new challenge is my neighborhood kids are out and she wants to go and play with them. Soon though, the challenge will be raccoons, since she's definitely a hunter (already brought me a shrew; don't know if she killed it or found it dead).

Oh, day 3 and so far, no accidents! Yay!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I would not encourage doing anything negative (rubbing the dog's nose in the poo/pee, etc.). Instead, I would encourage you to devote your energy to taking her out, waiting until she does her business, and giving her a "high value" treat (boiled chicken liver, steak) and marking it with a work (I prefer the word "yes" but you can use whatever word works for you--cool, woohoo, whatever). Wait her out, clean up after her (human error--she's just doing what dogs do--) and make sure she doesn't have a medical condition that is making her poo before you can get her outside.
lol totally woohoo! i was so excited when my dog learned outside meant potty, i say GOOD GIRL super happily. She wags her tail and comes to me when she's done...such a proud moment when they get it right!
Old 03-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #29
Master Chef

Once (the aformentioned 4 week old pup in Hawaii) I had a large-ish party over. When she walked outside and did her business, about 30 people stopped whatever they were doing, to applaud and "good girl" her. Then we all stopped and laughed at each other that we were so easily entertained (a goodly part of the group were dog breeders).
Old 03-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #30
Senior Cook

well, we all know as dog owners that it's just such a good thing when they go potty outside...get to go home now and take my doggy for a walk...she'll be so happy it's not raining anymore.