New Puppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some dogs are "double" dumpers. So you may need to learn if she poops once...walks around a bit, poops again. Some are triples <g>. Just keep walking around until she goes. Don't talk to her or distract her from doing her business....let her do what she needs to do and lets you figure out her pattern.

Patience, perseverance, consistency and lots of vinegar. The vinegar is a safe inexpensive and effective way to neutralize the odor from the pup's "accidents". If the dog "potties" in that spot or any other indoor spot, I would put her on a short lead and take her with you while you remove the "evidence" to the appropriate place in the yard. Show her "her" spot and try to use the same area each time for poo. Obviously you can't leave days worth in that spot, but leaving one "offering" so that she can smell her own scent until she is totally trained might help. Good luck Claire, pets as you know can bring us so much joy!

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

Some dogs are "double" dumpers. So you may need to learn if she poops once...walks around a bit, poops again. Some are triples <g>. Just keep walking around until she goes. Don't talk to her or distract her from doing her business....let her do what she needs to do and lets you figure out her pattern.
Max is a single dumper, but a profligate pisser:)
I put wood chips down on one place on the lawn and he dumps on that he also only likes to urinate on spiky bushes:ohmy:
taba 123.jpg

I would not encourage doing anything negative (rubbing the dog's nose in the poo/pee, etc.). Instead, I would encourage you to devote your energy to taking her out, waiting until she does her business, and giving her a "high value" treat (boiled chicken liver, steak) and marking it with a work (I prefer the word "yes" but you can use whatever word works for you--cool, woohoo, whatever). Wait her out, clean up after her (human error--she's just doing what dogs do--) and make sure she doesn't have a medical condition that is making her poo before you can get her outside.

I'm definitely doing the vinegar thing. It was recommended for cleaning the floor in that area anyway (I just liked the shine I get from Orange Glo or Mrs. Murphy's better, but vinegar sounds like just the trick.

My last dog was a two-er, but quickly learned to respond to "go potty again" and she'd go back for a round of the yard and go again. This dog is a little older (I had one previous dog from birth and really didn't have to train her much because she'd just follow her Mom and do what she did, her Mom we had from 4 weeks and lived in Hawaii, where if we were home, the door to the fenced in yard was open, and she just sort of preferred to step outside). So at 8 mos it's going to be a little more of a challenge. The new challenge is my neighborhood kids are out and she wants to go and play with them. Soon though, the challenge will be raccoons, since she's definitely a hunter (already brought me a shrew; don't know if she killed it or found it dead).

Oh, day 3 and so far, no accidents! Yay!

Last edited:
I would not encourage doing anything negative (rubbing the dog's nose in the poo/pee, etc.). Instead, I would encourage you to devote your energy to taking her out, waiting until she does her business, and giving her a "high value" treat (boiled chicken liver, steak) and marking it with a work (I prefer the word "yes" but you can use whatever word works for you--cool, woohoo, whatever). Wait her out, clean up after her (human error--she's just doing what dogs do--) and make sure she doesn't have a medical condition that is making her poo before you can get her outside.

lol totally woohoo! i was so excited when my dog learned outside meant potty, i say GOOD GIRL super happily. She wags her tail and comes to me when she's done...such a proud moment when they get it right!:mrgreen:

Once (the aformentioned 4 week old pup in Hawaii) I had a large-ish party over. When she walked outside and did her business, about 30 people stopped whatever they were doing, to applaud and "good girl" her. Then we all stopped and laughed at each other that we were so easily entertained (a goodly part of the group were dog breeders).

well, we all know as dog owners that it's just such a good thing when they go potty outside...get to go home now and take my doggy for a walk...she'll be so happy it's not raining anymore.

I was brought up in sheep country, my best friends where farmers, in lambing season I shot a number of dogs all owned by incomers who swore when we visited them their dog never got out, we offered to train them some agreed the others were visited within a week with the body of their pet and a bucket containing the fetus of a few lambs.
The training, we would pick a large old ram and tie it to the dog using a 6 ft rope and leave the ram to batter the dog. They will never chase a sheep again.
I had a Staff Bull terrier that bit the heads off 20 of my mums chickens, Puck was put on death row, a neighbouring chicken farmer brought a cage that his muzzled head fitted into alone with to big roosters, Puck got a pardon. I never broke any of my ponies using a whip spurs lunging reign or brutality, a friend taught me this native American method, release them into a very muddy pond then mount up, the horse cannot buck and soon gets it into his head you are smarter than him.
Most pack animals need a leader, all leaders are create by brain not brawn.:)

There are those who say if a dog kills a chicken, tie the dead chicken around the dog's neck...some dogs have more drive than others...my DH's dogs kill small animals...kittens, skunk kits...they are the breeds that are hardwired to do that. There is nothing you can do about that. The breeds I have and rescue (need I mention that we have to live in two separate houses because we do not agree on how to handle dogs...and have different breeds with different drives), don't have prey drive and don't have a tendancy to kill small animals. They are "nanny dogs" and want to protect the young. Most dogs, regardless, will not eat the animal they kill. They shake it to death, but don't eat it. This is the difference between dogs and wild canines. The domestic dog, after shaking the other animal, goes "oh sh*t, it's dead" and walk away. And, FWIW, dogs that attack and kill other animals ARE NOT necessarily a threat to children. This is a misconception people have--OMG, the dog attacked a squirrel and killed it, it will attack children--put the dog down. This is unfair and a misunderstanding of dog behaviour.

Last edited:
Day 6 (if you count Monday, when we got her, and today). One thing we noticed was very loose stools, even diahrea. Husband finally said, why not buy her a a bag of the food we fed the other dogs? He intended on using most of the bag they gave us, mixing, then starting on the bag I bought. But, frustrated, he just switched to the stuff I bought (both were dry food; I'm a huge believer in it, especially when house training) and she firmed up within hours. It has to add to her self-control. Anyway, if you count all movements, she's at about 50%. Given that I think she's lived most, if not all, of her short life in shelters (she's been at our very high reputation Safe Haven no-kill shelter since Dec/Jan according to the vet records, but they acquired her from a regular humane society, I think when they got crowded and thought they'd have to put her down), I don't think that's bad. It is fun that we occasionally run into acquaintances we didn't know volunteered there, and they are so delighted.

Last edited:
Bolas, my husband has always wanted to name a dog Rosebud. He never had a dog in his life until I met him, and I have to say I over-road his desire to name his first, then second, dogs Rosebud. I rolled my eyes and said, "Do you really want to name your dog after a sled?" This year his reply was that it was the most precious possession. So, since she didn't answer to the name we were provided with (with all good intentions, the local humane society named her Kat because she looks like a Meerkat when she stands on her hind legs to look at things), she didn't answer to the name, and had probably either not had a name before that, or maybe two before that. It's hard to say. but after 5 days she's answering to Rosebud, her housetraining is getting there (more quickly than I'd have thought) , and she is a real lover.

Claire, I simply must congratulate you on your new addition!! What a lucky gal(the pup I mean) LOL!! As far as the name Rosebud, well, my own DD would be thrilled to bits over the name - Rosebud is the name of one of AIRBUDS pups from the Disney movies. There were 5 pups from that litter, &, well, Disney has made quite a few movies just about the pups alone - Rosebud is FAMOUS!! :)

Oh, I just sent my husband to an early bed (not a grave, mind you), and Rosebud, like my previous doggies, loves those damned afghans, and is dead asleep behind me on one of them. And, yes, Merlot, she is lucky, but I am as well, because as frustrated as I get with hubby, they're a good match as well. This afternoon a neighbor came over with his 3 kids (children, that is, not goats!), aged about 2, 8, and 12. It was a good socialization hour or two. I know this sounds stupid, but the kids aren't real dog lovers (the family is very busy and wisely, IMO, stick to cats, which are, to me, better pet selection if you never know who is going to be home, when). So it was a great socialization hour. The children, unlike real doggie-loving kids, didn't rush her, run to pat her, etc., which can really frighten a new dog. They were more, "oh, hi Rosebud, nice to meet you" pet-pet and on to the next interest (they were here because the eldest young man wanted to look at my husband's history books). But getting used to them a bit at a time is a good thing.

When they came in, she peed, but, did it discretely. How funny. I expect a dog that hasn't lived in a house for a week yet to, well, get excited and not be able to control it. But she's doing so well.

Oh, she was named for the sled in "Citizen Kane", I didn't know about the Disney movie. Will look it up!

Update on New Puppy: Rosebud has been almost completely house trained. The change in diet made all the difference in the world. Hasn't made a mistake in a week.

Next job: teaching her to not be over affectionate with new guests (ironically, my usual problems with dogs have been over-affectionate or even mean children. With her it is jumping up to kiss friends who are not dog people).

She has the "sit" command so down pat that we only have to think of maybe giving her something she wants and she'll sit patiently and wait for it.

Anyone out there know a good web site or book for training. I'll admit to being lacksadaisical with my last two dogs, who, by-the-way, had cat temperament (in other words, looked at us as if we were insane and walked away from any treat rather than do what you were trying to get them to do).

Rosebud seems very eager to please, is already the love of the neighborhood.

I've got potty training pretty much done (not kidding). I'm looking at getting her to come on command and stay in sitting position.

Right now she's scared to death, because we have a thunderstorm rolling through.

Anyway, point of this post is that I went through a couple of books I have about dogs, and are going to donate them to the library, because they really aren't helpful.

Anyone know a good site on dog training?

Back
Top Bottom