New restaurant idea or concept?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very wise words Aunt dot. I worked the trade for a good many years thought I knew what I was doing. Went and bought a restaurant that was doing well and so was I till the highway com. put a by pass around my town. Went broke in two years.
So before you git in over your head stop and think, think, then think again

If it is take out you are doing, and you can get into a populated area where there are many lunches bought, or a shopping centre (mall). In Aus I have seen some shops that sell hot rolls. Basically, you take one decent sized long roll, on a hot plate you dump a mix of beef or chicken etc, then vegetables etc and cut them all up as they cook into smaller pieces. You sauce this mix with satay for chicken or BBQ or whatever then slop it into the bun. Can be topped with cheese or whatever.

This was very popular in the shopping centre I used to go to when I lived there. You could also have kebabs, tacos, wraps etc if you wanted to as well.

This would be strictly take away and not a restaurant.

I don't know why it is, but Greek restaurants are not to be found anywhere. Well, okay, maybe one or two. You mentioned Gyros in your original post and it caught my attention. I would kill for a Greek take-out place where I can get a good, (has to be authentic or it's no go) gyro or simple Greek take out food. If you are still considering take out, and this is a good idea too, then make sure you do it right and do it well. The gyro shop in Michigan where I spend the summer is packed all the time because it's the only one for miles. Genuine Greek salads, gyros, dolmades, avgolemono soup, spanakopita, and of course baklava. Then send me the address. ;)

Last edited:
The advice you got about sound business practices is very good advice. Too many people open business and have no idea what it takes to open and stay in business.
The reason so many restaurants go under is because of a lack of capital. You MUST have enough money to carry your expenses for at least 6 months or you will surely fail. Desire is not enough and neither is a love for what you're doing. Cold, hard cash is what keeps you afloat til your business builds up enough capital to sail on it's own. Even then, you must keep enough cash on hand to see you through should there be a drop in business. My first business was an ice cream/sandwich shop in 1975. I was successful only because I had what it took to stay open til the business built up. I owned a housecleaning service and 7 retail shops after that. All of them were very successful but it took a lot of know-how and a top notch location (a San Diego tourist area ) to survive.

If there was anything I learned it was this: you don't sell what YOU want, you sell what THEY want, then you can afford to buy what YOU want. Do the best you know how, but learn how to be the best.

Like Drama Queen said, Greek restaurants are hard to find. Indian restaurants are also very rare around here but their food is really good. You could also do a theme like "spicy" food. I liked the BBQ idea. And you could also do specialty pizza. I know of a place in Twin Falls, Idaho that sells Mexican pizza, Greek pizza, dessert pizza, spicy, chicken--all sorts of unusual things. I guess it would be hard to do that with take-out though.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom