**new rule for school kids**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think when the teacher fears for the safety of the other students or themselves that some sort of physical force should be used, but unfortunately there's gonna be a lot of lawsuits happening. I did some volunteer work last year in my son's elementary school and have seen some stuff that I would never allow in my home. I blame the parents or the lack of parents. I always felt some people shouldn't be allowed to produce offspring.

I haven't had kids in school for a long time. I think that teachers are not now allowed to touch a student for any reaaon.
If that is correct, then this would be a better alternative then having the teacher stand there and watch someone's child beaten. Security can never get there in time.
Also I have heard of quite a few teachers in fear for their own safety.

I think when the teacher fears for the safety of the other students or themselves that some sort of physical force should be used, but unfortunately there's gonna be a lot of lawsuits happening. I did some volunteer work last year in my son's elementary school and have seen some stuff that I would never allow in my home. I blame the parents or the lack of parents. I always felt some people shouldn't be allowed to produce offspring.

I agree. When it comes to safety of other children, or themselves, the teacher should step in.

I agree. When it comes to safety of other children, or themselves, the teacher should step in.

exactly! I'm not saying an all out slug fest, but if a wild child needs to be restrained then so be it.
I enrolled my son in an extended day program to help bring up his math grade, it was just an extra 1 1/2 hrs twice a week. One day when I was bring him to school he started to cry and when I asked him what was wrong he said, " I'm afraid of going to extended day." He proceeded to tell me about the last day he was there a student desk missed his head by only inches. Of course I walked him into school that day and demanded to see the principle. After a few polite threats we came to an agreement. My son was placed in another extended day class and the wild child was sent home with a stern recommendation that he recieve counciling for his anger.

I used to be a teacher, and my first year I had a very unruly student. On occasion he would lose his temper and start hitting kids, swinging things around, throwing chairs--basically tearing my room apart. In those instances, I used physical force regardless of the "no touch" rule because I did not want other children to be injured. But the physical force was not a punishment, it was safety. I'm not sure I understand this law, but are they talking about swatting a wrist with a stick like in the old days, or situations like mine? Because in my situation, I think I would have been sued for letting him injure another child. But the use of physical punishment as a disciplinary action I think is unacceptable and more importantly--ineffective.

Did I read that they didn't have to report when they got physical? That's the problem I'd have with it. I'd want to know both when my child got out of control and what was done about it.

I used to be a teacher, and my first year I had a very unruly student. On occasion he would lose his temper and start hitting kids, swinging things around, throwing chairs--basically tearing my room apart. In those instances, I used physical force regardless of the "no touch" rule because I did not want other children to be injured. But the physical force was not a punishment, it was safety. I'm not sure I understand this law, but are they talking about swatting a wrist with a stick like in the old days, or situations like mine? Because in my situation, I think I would have been sued for letting him injure another child. But the use of physical punishment as a disciplinary action I think is unacceptable and more importantly--ineffective.

As I read it B'sgirl, corporal punishment is still a no no. The situation you were in yes, that kind of force/restraint would be ok.

my schools paddled, & i'm only 27. many chose paddling over detention, except that wasn't an option at my Catholic school. you got whoopins.
i'm with them.
if a student needs intervention, intervene!!! someone ought to!!

Back
Top Bottom