"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-15-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
Senior Cook

New small local eatery.

Last month we had a mother and daughter open a small eatery, which advertize home cooking.
We visited twice, the first time, my sugar pea's were cooked to death. On the second visit my wife ordered a chicken dish, with a topping of mushroom and onions. The onions were raw. We didn't say anything on either visit. I don't want to be negative and say something. I know everyone cooks their own way, but after two times dining out, I don't know if we want to go back. Any thoughts if I should say something if we go again and get a not so pleasant experience?

Old 02-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

New small local eatery.

With any new business, I think they'd want to know. We'll let the owners know in a nice way if something isn't good, and they're always very appreciative.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Last night, we went to a brand new local restaurant that had just opened. In fact last night was the grand opening.
We arrived to a packed house.
The minute i walked in, I could tell something was not right.
There were no tables available so we went and sat at the bar.

I found out why it felt weird in there.
A Mexican restaurant without beer or any alcohol.
The woman said something about the license hold up. I said how could you open without it.
We know its a good place as there is another one in town.
I especially love the Dos Equis on tap in frosted mugs. Its sacrilege to open a Mexican restaurant on Valentines day and not have any liquor.
It says a lot about my surroundings.

Good thing our favorite Mexican place was only a few miles down the road. They had the ice cold beer and the oysters were marvelous. As they always are.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #4
Master Chef

Post a review of your experiences on Yelp. Most business owners take these reviews very seriously. I always go to Yelp and read what others have written about an establishment. I've also posted reviews on Yelp on restaurants and other types of businesses as well.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:51 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I agree you should have made a comment in a helpful tone. They benefit from cooking dishes that patrons like. If you are silent and go away dissatisfied, they don't stay in business.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:15 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yelp, Urban Spoon reviews. Use them if you don't want to approach management. They are helpful for others and as mentioned the owners/management read them, too.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:44 PM   #7
Master Chef

If the only problems were over cooked peas and undercooked onions it sounds like the food was pretty good.

I would mention it in an upbeat way.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:44 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Last night, we went to a brand new local restaurant that had just opened. In fact last night was the grand opening.
We arrived to a packed house.
The minute i walked in, I could tell something was not right.
There were no tables available so we went and sat at the bar.

I found out why it felt weird in there.
A Mexican restaurant without beer or any alcohol.
The woman said something about the license hold up. I said how could you open without it.
We know its a good place as there is another one in town.
I especially love the Dos Equis on tap in frosted mugs. Its sacrilege to open a Mexican restaurant on Valentines day and not have any liquor.
It says a lot about my surroundings.

Good thing our favorite Mexican place was only a few miles down the road. They had the ice cold beer and the oysters were marvelous. As they always are.
Over here if a restaurant doesn't have an alcohol licence you often take your bottle of wine or whatever. The restaurants sometimes charge what they call "corkage" - a small charge for opening said bottle.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:40 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Over here if a restaurant doesn't have an alcohol licence you often take your bottle of wine or whatever. The restaurants sometimes charge what they call "corkage" - a small charge for opening said bottle.
There are counties in NC that I know of that use the BYOB arrangement.
But here in SC, I know of no county that allows patrons to bring their own alcohol.
Oh....I do know establishments that allow this. Some strip clubs allow it.
Has something to do with the licensing. Naked women are okay as long as you serve no booze to the customer.
Very silly if you ask me and i know this from word of mouth, not personal experience.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
When I worked at the bars in Texas, you could bring in hard liquor in a brown bag. But I would give them a "set up." A glass of ice and an empty glass to mix their drink in. I would charge them $.25 for a set up.