NEW Top Chef: N.Y.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, overall they suck this year. Four hours of total prep time and some of those dishes were horrible. Even the presentations looks like 80's hotel food (like Hosea's crap, I mean crab salad). And the choices of dishes. A quiche???? Are you kidding me??? Four hours to prep? The chance to put out a signature dish and you make a quiche???

So Stephan wins by basically ripping of Ferran Adria's olive dish from el Bulli but he wins because his food tastes good, and he's smart by making something that he knows will taste good. I thought Leah's dish had the best presentation, but flavor wasn't in the top 3. Eugene does meat loaf. How exciting. Like I said, I'm not impressed. In past seasons, there was always that "Wow, it would be tough going head to head against so-and-so". Not this season. Two challenges where they could really showcase their skills. No vendor machine stuff. No cooking for kids or the elderly. Just show your skills right from the start. Too bad they don't really have any.

Stefan did not win this time, IC, it was Fabio.....

and I don't think it's about not having skills. Like I've said before, Ariane has skills up one side and down the other. But she (and maybe the rest of them, too, tho not showing it in the same way she is) is clearly intimidated by the bright lights, the judges, and the prospect of the celebrity chefs -- and maybe by the other contestants..

I don't think it's about not having skills. Like I've said before, Ariane has skills up one side and down the other. But she (and maybe the rest of them, too, tho not showing it in the same way she is) is clearly intimidated by the bright lights, the judges, and the prospect of the celebrity chefs -- and maybe by the other contestants..

Well said ChefJune -Its easy to judge from the comfort of our easy chairs. Obviously, one must posess skills above & beyond the norm just to make it to the show. Factor in the TV aspect, celebrity judges and its a whole different game

Stefan did not win this time, IC, it was Fabio.....

and I don't think it's about not having skills. Like I've said before, Ariane has skills up one side and down the other. But she (and maybe the rest of them, too, tho not showing it in the same way she is) is clearly intimidated by the bright lights, the judges, and the prospect of the celebrity chefs -- and maybe by the other contestants..

Yeah I meant Fabio. The accents got me confused.

I understand all what you said, but she had four hours and she made meringue, lemon filling, and what looked like a cherry compote. And it didn't taste good. I looked at her website and the menu looks good. My only question is if she is still doing the actual cooking, or does she have a Chef de Cuisine that does the menu and runs the line. From what she's shown so far, it doesn't appear so.

But still. It's a competition. You have four hours. Every chef has several signature appetizers and entrees that they can whip out on any given night. Fabio and Jamie were smart and did just that. It baffles me why some of the others did not do so. I mean, it's great to be creative, but make sure it tastes good. They're not like a Richard who can pull flavors out of left field and turn it into something really delicious.

She does the cooking in her restaurant. I believe there is only one other person in there with her. She reminds me of someone who does not do well outside their comfort zone. She "lives" in her restaurant.

I"m not defending her, I'm saying she is out of her element on this show, but that doesn't mean she can't cook.

I agree with you... even good home cooks have dishes they can prepare with one hand figuratively tied behind them. I don't understand why so many of these contestants seem to be having such a hard time. They are all pros.

I really liked the chic that got kicked off first. I thought she was realyl cute and could have been lovable.

I hope this season turns out well. The last few seasons have been good i dont want to be dissapointed this season. They better kick it up a notch.

Back
Top Bottom