New Top Chef Show, Opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intensecooking

Assistant Cook
What do y'all think of the new Top Chef show? I mean, Tom Colichio is the man and all, but doesn't this show seem too staged. Most of the people on the show haven't even been in a commercial kitchen.

It's entertaining to me. I like Harold (I think that's his name at least) and Miguel.

I absolutely hate Stephen although the guy can put together some great looking dishes. He just has a major snobby attitude.

Miguel

I think Miguel is good because he has commercial training. The thing that puzzles me is the sommelier - has he ever been in a kitchen, or is he just a really good sommelier?

I caught a glimpe of it last night, the part where each was given a fcruit basket and 30 minutes. Competiton based mainly on presentation. I didn't care for it. Staged is a good adjective for this show, IMHO.

I finally watched this show last night when I came home from work. I must say it was pretty intense. You can tell which chefs have talent and which ones don't. Not to say that the others aren't good chefs, but their level of creativity and ingenuity just isn't that level that it needs to be. Stephen is probably the most talented and Le Ann and Tiffani are both pretty well rounded. But Tiffani must be related to Bobby Flay. Interesting show. I may try to catch the rest of the season if I can.

i like the show, i watch it religiously. god i hate stephen. what a pompous ***. and did you see his ridiuclous stupid microwave dish? an asian banana leaf tamale with spices from central america?

i also hate that red headed girl(tiffany) who looks like a man

Miguel is cool.

the asian girl is cool.

Harold is a really cool guy as well.

I've watched each episode - quite a bit of drama in the kitchen!
From the get go it was apparent that Tiffani and Leanne would be there in the end. Yep, Steven's a snobbish kid (only 24) but he does know his stuff. Only problem is that he puts so many tastes together, it gets a bit confusing. I liked Miguel in the beginning, but he's grating on my nerves as the weeks go by. Dave has a good flair for mexican food, but he's too emotional for the game. He or Miguel will probably be the next to go. Harold is a nice, steady guy, with good training and good foresight, IMO.

Mylegsbig said:
i like the show, i watch it religiously. god i hate stephen. what a pompous ***. and did you see his ridiuclous stupid microwave dish? an asian banana leaf tamale with spices from central america?

i also hate that red headed girl(tiffany) who looks like a man

Miguel is cool.

the asian girl is cool.

Harold is a really cool guy as well.

LOL, yeah Stephen is a bit of a priss but his talent and creativity is far and beyond anyone else on that show. Not sure how he would do as a line cook but if he just had to create the dishes and then manage the cooks, then I think he would be very successful.

Tiffani's attitude and hair color are both reminiscent of Bobby Flay.

Sizz, the show is on Bravo.

I think it's on Bravo... I saw it for the first time last night (this morning) when they showed a couple of episodes back to back. I thought it was all right (good insomniac viewing I guess).

I understand that there is pressure and everything and they really want to win... but geez... some of them really do not handle pressure or obstacles very well at ALL.

There are some very nice presentations, but I'm finding it kinda hard to actually LIKE any of the participants. I don't think I'll go out of my way to watch, but might check it out if I catch it during one of my 'surfing' moments.

Harold is decent, but it doesn't seem that he has as much depth in knowledge as the top three (Stephen, Le Ann, Tiffani).

David lacks creativity and poise. But it's the lack of creativity that's hurting him more I think. He wouldn't have the vision to be able to create a world class menu with flavors that would blow you away. He had the easiest dish of the night (John Dory) and he couldn't pull that off.

Haven't watched...but tonight on NBC, after "Deal Or No Deal", the "Celebrity Cooking Showdown" is on.
The host was on the radio this morning, and he called it "Meal Or No Meal".

Let's see....Dancing with the Stars....Skating with the Stars....Cooking with the Stars....

I'll stick to "Cooking with no-names who know about food".:chef:

Welcome to DC, intense.

I don't watch very much TV; and sadly, Food TV has gone down the tubes. Too much "entertainment" and not enough reality cooking. I'm switching over to PBS.

FoodTV has lost it's credibility for me.

Last edited:
Well, Harold, Dave and Tiffani are on their way to Vegas for the showdown. But first, it will be a reunion of all the members in New York. I'm anxious to see what is said when the chef jackets are off. Looks to be good reality TV. Tune in Wed night.
:chef: My opinion: Harold will will the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom