"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-30-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
Master Chef

I'm requesting a new topic area that is place where we can just be helpful to those who are maybe new to cooking, or need to be able to serve up cheap, but tasty meals that offer variety and good nutriton.

We have areas for ethnic foods, seafood, dairy, soups, almost anything one could think of, except for making good meals cheap. I know such a resource would have been invaulable to me way back when I first started experimenting with food, and learning to cook. I had a family of 6 (including myself) to feed, and the wages of a U.S. sailor to do it with. I've learned much since those days and would love to be able to assist those who are in the same circumstances, that is, limited skills and little money.

We have a host of people here who know how to cook, and know how to cook well. We have the ability to turn a can of potted meat into a near gourmet meal (I know, a bit of an exageration, but not by much).

So, is there interest in such a topic? Let the mods know if you want to see a topical area for such information. I'm letting everyone know that I'm interested. And now, I'm going to find a subject field where I can post one such meal.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Goodweed Rocks! (Gin, glitter and all........)
I second the motion.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Devil's advocate......

Are you saying that if someone wanted to make a "cheap meal" out of say, hamburger and just a few other ingredients, it should have it's own topic rather than posting it under beef? Or asking how to cook something under general cooking questions, or, I only have these ingredients?

Sorry, I guess I don't get it
I don't know what I'm doing and like simple ingredients and I always seem to find a place to post my questions.

I know what you're saying, but it seems like you could almost do away with several topics..... or maybe the post would need cross-posted within the forum because it would surely fit under an existing topic.

I am sooo confused.....
Old 04-30-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I believe he's saying that, say if I were a college student, poor broke and first time away from mom's cooking. And I had that carosel thing of spices and went to the store and picked up ground beef and had some oodles of noodles
and i came on the board and said help!

The new forum would be a forum that by it's title and description would be the obvious place for me to go and ask for Help!
Old 04-30-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilasman View Post
I believe he's saying that, say if I were a college student, poor broke and first time away from mom's cooking. And I had that carosel thing of spices and went to the store and picked up ground beef and had some oodles of noodles
and i came on the board and said help!

The new forum would be a forum that by it's title and description would be the obvious place for me to go and ask for Help!
Yeeees, but does that mean the existing forum topics should only be used for TNT recipes and not for asking for help?

Someone recently suggested a "chat" section for a more instantaneous responses to questions, even though typically you can get an answer within 5 minutes. At the latest.
Now, I'll assume that is not the only reason a chat section was started, but in my honest opinion This has to be the hardest forum I've ever been on to Search for something. There are so many topics, the engine can't narrow it down even using advanced.
I know, I was looking for something the other night and I pretty much knew the answer wasn't going to be in "guess this photo", but there it was as one of the threads I could look for my answer in.
Do we need another separate topic to ask for help in? I guess if we can no longer ask for help in the existing topics.....

I don't know... just saying what I think
Old 04-30-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Senior Cook

if you think this one is hard try egullet
Old 04-30-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
Master Chef

I'm not so much requesting a place where one asks questions, but a place where those who know how to make an inexpensive meal could post a complete meal. For instance, is Poultry really the place where I want to create a meal of roasted cornish game hens, and steamed brocoli with a cheese sauce, and a side of roasted acorn squash with cinamon and ginger, and some kind of desert, say an apple crisp?

I want a place where we can construct entire meal ideas, using skills, and techniques for not only putting together the meals, but maybe the best places to purchase the ingredients, and what qualities to look for say, in picking a cantaloupe for a fruit salad, or how to match herbs with various veggies.

Yes there are a great many topics available, and one for each item in a meal, be it fresh veggies, fruits, meats, fish, breads, bbq, etc. But there is no one place where I can help someone create the skills to put together a range of meals, or even a single meal, with the exception of maybe a Thanksgiving feast. The individual topics don't give us a broad enough spectrum to create a meal.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 05-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
I'm requesting a new topic area that is place where we can just be helpful to those who are maybe new to cooking, or need to be able to serve up cheap, but tasty meals that offer variety and good nutriton.

We have areas for ethnic foods, seafood, dairy, soups, almost anything one could think of, except for making good meals cheap. I know such a resource would have been invaulable to me way back when I first started experimenting with food, and learning to cook. I had a family of 6 (including myself) to feed, and the wages of a U.S. sailor to do it with. I've learned much since those days and would love to be able to assist those who are in the same circumstances, that is, limited skills and little money.

We have a host of people here who know how to cook, and know how to cook well. We have the ability to turn a can of potted meat into a near gourmet meal (I know, a bit of an exageration, but not by much).

So, is there interest in such a topic? Let the mods know if you want to see a topical area for such information. I'm letting everyone know that I'm interested. And now, I'm going to find a subject field where I can post one such meal.

I'm thinking that such a forum would be a great beginning. The problem is, as the responses come in, the variety of recipes/meal templates will accumulate; this would necessitate the creation of sub-fora to differentiate the different categories. In the end we would have . . . Discuss Cooking. What I would like to see is a tag for posts that actually contain a recipe. If that were the case, I could do a search for what is in the fridge, say, mushrooms or cabbage or whatever, limit it to recipes, and not have to weed through the Word Association Game, etc., to find ways to cook what I have.

Just my $.02.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #9
Head Chef

...Sooooo, the forum would be something like 'Meal Help', which may be a good place for the sub-forum thread "I only have these ingredients" and another sub-forum for newbies to ask more general questions about flavor matching and simple menus?

The idea has merit. For sure.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:17 PM   #10
Master Chef

All good replies. That's why I say that many heads are better than one. You guys and gals fill in the parts that I miss, or find the holes in the plan. I still think the idea is sound. Executing it properly seems a daunting task.

And I agree, if a post has a recipe, a tag would be a great help in finding it.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North