"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-08-2006, 12:50 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

this practice has existed in north jersey as long as i can remember. being more common with small italian places, it was always rumored that the reason for cash only was money laundering for organized crime.
i know for a fact that this were true in a few cases, from pizza joints to barber shops. overall tho, i think that's just an urban legend.
if anything, the owner of the restaurant goes cash only for his own manipulation of tax, payroll, and insurance reasons.
also, it's much easier to keep accounts on a small business when there's a simple and direct cash flow.
it is a bit of a pain; i too rarely write a check anymore, and carry less cash.
you get used to remembering which places are cash only, or at least get used to taking notice of the sign by the entrance for cash only.

waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:21 AM   #12
Master Chef

Houston, recently voted the fattest city in the US by the way, boasts tons of great restaurants---we even have a pullout Dining Out section in our great Houston Chronicle once a week, that's totally devoted to the restaurants, star ratings, costs, location, etc. and nearly all places take plastic. If there's anything that a lot of the restaurants WON'T take it's personal checks. Hmmmmmmm? I guess we have more "Michelin" and "Firestone" checks down here.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:18 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
this practice has existed in north jersey as long as i can remember. being more common with small italian places...

I agree, BT. You can get used to the fact that Guido's pizza takes cash only and deal with that.

I believe GB was talking about restaurants that have been accepting credit cards and are now dropping them. I think that's more difficult to accomplish as you are giving the other restaurants in the area a competitive advantage.

If you have a loyal following, they will probably still patronize your place even if you take only cash, but no credit would be a deal breaker for a lot of folks.

I'm curious about the reasoning for dropping credit. All I can think of is the fee that the credit card companies charge.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:43 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Actually Andy, I was noticing this with new restaurants that were opening up. It seems like the new places are just doing cash only. I am not sure about the existing places though. These are not the cheap eats type places (pizza joint and delis) that I am talking about. These are places with entrees around $20 or so.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:51 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks for setting me straight. I must have misread your post. I still don't understand why they are doing this. I see it as putting them at a disadvantage. Can it just be the fee?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:08 AM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

My friend who we were visiting seems to think they are doing it to be trendy.

What I do know is that it is not hurting their business any. Each of these places were full or close to it. There is certainly no shortage of customers in a place like Brooklyn. Now if you tried to do that in my town you would be shooting yourself in the foot.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:44 AM   #17
Master Chef

I accepted Mastercard and Visa in my greenhouse business for a while, but it was a pain it the butt for a busy lady running a small business to deal with, and I did away with it after a couple of years.
I always accepted personal checks, though, so I really didn't get any complaints, except from a hot-shot (set designer for Dianna Ross, among other claims to fame), who was home from LA, visiting his parents. He didn't really protest much, he was just surprised, and had to dig around for the cash.