New Word in English?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maidrite

Contest Winner
Add this word to English: Castlistic (Pronounced: Castle + Listic) meaning: Castle like features :huh:

What your thoughts?

The way it's spelled, it looks like you'd pronounce it 'cast-lis-tic' with the 't' being practically silent.

Why introduce a new word when the term 'castle like' already gets the point across without the confusion of the above mentioned spelling?

There are about 280 words in the english language that end in 'istic' but the word you presented is not among them. In almost all of the cases the suffix 'istic' refers to 'like' as in ritualistic. In some cases, as in artistic, the 'istic' is a qualifier.

What makes you ask?

I don't live in a country with castles, so the word would probably never be used by me. Personally, I think adding it to American English would be a waste of time, and would add to an already bloated dictionary of words that don't need to be there. Maybe the Brits or French could use it or the Germans. They have castles. Adding that word would be the equivalent of making "a butt load" a legitimate unit of measurement.

My apologies in advance to anyone who is offended by my opinion. It is only an opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.....:LOL:

Maidrite, you need to find something more productive to do than dream up new words. How about a new recipe?????

Oh, and remember that YOU asked for our thoughts.

JoeV

I don't live in a country with castles, so the word would probably never be used by me. Personally, I think adding it to American English would be a waste of time, and would add to an already bloated dictionary of words that don't need to be there. Maybe the Brits or French could use it or the Germans. They have castles. Adding that word would be the equivalent of making "a butt load" a legitimate unit of measurement.

My apologies in advance to anyone who is offended by my opinion. It is only an opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.....:LOL:

Maidrite, you need to find something more productive to do than dream up new words. How about a new recipe?????

Oh, and remember that YOU asked for our thoughts.

JoeV

Joe you and Vera both added to Barbara's thoughts, LOL oh well I guess I will have to work on that tuna recipe.
How about "Tuna and Goat Milk stew with Head Cheese Bread?" :huh:

I read it like Vera.
I think "castlesque" works better, myself ;)

Joe you and Vera both added to Barbara's thoughts, LOL oh well I guess I will have to work on that tuna recipe.
How about "Tuna and Goat Milk stew with Head Cheese Bread?" :huh:

I LOVE head cheese! Let me know when the recipe is refined.

I married a dork! James and I were talking about something on the way home from Hickory last night and he mentioned this church we passed. He said it looked "castle-istic." I told him what a dork he was and he said that it should be a word. I said (as Vera pointed out here) that if you spelled it the way you would expect to (castlistic) that it would be pronounced cast-listic, and that you couldn't spell it castleistic because it would be pronounced cast-lie-stic. Even if you wanted to make it a word, it just doesn't fit in with English spelling rules. LOL

He was, of course just goofing around. LOL He thinks there are already too many words being used now (not an actual example, but similar to something he often says--"Why do they need to say 'abysmal'? Why can't they just say 'horrible?'" lol).

:)Barbara

because abysmal has more fathom to it?

the beauty of english is in it's complexity, imo. it gives our thoughts a callipygian existence outside of our ratiocination. :)

Every woman married a dork...to some degree. I guess that's just one of those bewildering mysterious enigmas that tend to have us questioning this puzzling perplexity.

Yep, way too many words to say the same thing.

Now, what can I bake today since my truck is in the shop for repairs? Hmmmmm....:chef:

Back
Top Bottom