"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: New Year's Eve: Stay home or Go Out!!
Stay home and watch the ball drop on TV with drink of your choice. 30 78.95%
Stay home and invite friends and family over. 5 13.16%
Go out and have a nice dinner and then come home to watch the festivities on tv 1 2.63%
Party like there is no tomorrow. 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Ended up having fondue by myself. Watched the ball drop and watched TV and surfed the Net until about 2 a.m. Went to bed. Just not the same without Buck.

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #32
Master Chef
I know, Katie. I promise things will easier down the road.

We don't go out on New Year's Eve. The state and local cops are out in force, and in Illinois, they establish check points, just like the gestapo. You have to stop and roll down your window, and possibly show your driver's license. They look you over real well, and either wave you on, or give you a hassle. (They have never given us a problem, though.)
The local guys have even been known to chaulk the tires in the bar parking lots...florescent green, orange and pink...so they can tell how long a person has been in there.

Besides, New Year's Eve is for amateurs. Kim and I have more fun at home!

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #33
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Ended up having fondue by myself. Watched the ball drop and watched TV and surfed the Net until about 2 a.m. Went to bed. Just not the same without Buck.
Katie ~ I just wish I could come up to where you are and hug you and make you know everyone cares about you and you should not be alone.
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:16 PM   #34
Sous Chef
We stayed home with the kids. The youngest (2yo) made it tell 10:30 the others (11 &10) mad it tell 12.

We went out and yelled, banging pots and pans and we saw ZERO neighbors!! Everybody was either out or went to bed early.
NAchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:11 AM   #35
Head Chef
I worked ... didn't get out of the bar until nearly 4:00 a.m. because it was such a mess with party favors, streamers, ballons and such about an inch think on the floor. But everyone had a great time! The band was great, too.

P.S. We have a dedicated taxi driver who's been our safe ride home guy for a couple years now. Also we employees will give rides after last call if needed since there are so many of us there. =) Everyone gets home safely from our parties!
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:21 AM   #36
So I am a couple days late and a dollar short, but after 12 years of working amature night (new years eve) I have grown to hold a great amount of contempt for the wanna be foodies and blackout alchies. Always stay home if the option is there (but it never is!)
chefnaterock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #37
Sous Chef
Yes, New Years Eve and Saint Patrick's Day are Amateur Events.

I use to be a regular drinker, Real regular. I would go out on these two nights to be entertained by those who thought getting drunk was something special. And those two nights are the ones I drank the least or even stayed (legally) sober.

THen I quit drinking and , golly, drunks are awful hard to put up with when sober!

So Wife and I stayed home, and if it wern't for Wife pointing out to me that 2009 was 30 seconds away midnight would have come and gone without my realizing it.

The ball dropped, 2009 lit up, wife and I kissed and toasted the new year with a glass of Pomegranate juice, Aud Lang Syne and back to what we were doing.
Wart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #38
Sous Chef
I went to a local party just a few blocks walk which was nice... except the party was.. well..not my type of party. I ended up hanging out with the people there I already knew. I was hoping to meet some other neighbors but it was sooo crowded that you could barely move... and the people were... well a bit self absorbed and pretentious.. in a trust funded-neo-intellectual-hippie sort of way.
PanchoHambre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #39
Master Chef
Sounds like we all have a good New Year's Eve!! I spent some of the evening on the internet. Talked to family on the phone. Played Lego Indiana Jones on the DS. Ate some appetizers and had eggnog.

Happy New Year, everyone!!
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #40
Head Chef
I stayed home and watched TV. New Years just isn't special anymore.

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote