News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Maybe this is old news, but my brother told me the evangelist Billy GRaham my favorite, fell down. My brother doesn't know when he hears things and often fails to tell me. So I was so upset most of all for the reason he fell was over his dog? Could someone tell me if this is true or is my brother just imaging this? I do know his wife passed away some time ago and he looked fragile there too.

Thanks for understanding. How I love dogs but then to hear this kind of depresses me, especially when someone is older and frail.

I just googled it-said he fell in his home Sat Oct 11. No broken bones, etc, so it could have been worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Living in this area, I'm surprised I hadn't heard about it. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention. I hope he is doing better.

I did read yesterday that Nancy Reagan was hospitalized with a broken pelvis. I didn't read the article so I don't know the extent of it. Hopefully she recovers soon.

:huh:Barbara

falling is one of the things we have to watch as we get older. a year ago i fell in bathroom and fractured my foot. had to wear a cast.

i fell off a curb at the local mall.

balance is the problem in the elderly. there are exercises to improve one's balance.

i bought a cane. i use it for confidence when i walk at stores. don't need around the house.

also at my age and nancy regans our bones are brittle and things break. i understand that graham did fall over one of dogs. certainly not the dog's fault. i always watch when i step so i know thomas is not underfoot.:chef:

I read that when we hear about [mainly] elderly women falling and breaking their hip, it often isn't that they fell and broke their hip, but that their hip broke (because of osteoporosis) and they fell.

:huh:Barbara

My MIL fell back in late July and broke her hip. She lived in an assisted living facility. They're not sure how she fell, but she fell in the dining hall. I'm thinking she tripped on someones foot or a chair leg. She was in the hospital about 10 days, then therapy for 2 weeks and back at assisted living only to fall again within a week. This time she hit her head on the wall and it cause a slight bleed in her brain. No surgery was needed, thank God! But she has been going downhill ever since with 2 more falls, a blood clot in her leg and now a bowel obstruction that won't move and can't be operated because the doctors say she won't survive the surgery. They gave her 2 weeks to live (give or take) because she can't be feed, the food has nowhere to go, but up. Tomarrow will be 2 weeks. She's still holding on.

My MIL fell back in late July and broke her hip. She lived in an assisted living facility. They're not sure how she fell, but she fell in the dining hall. I'm thinking she tripped on someones foot or a chair leg. She was in the hospital about 10 days, then therapy for 2 weeks and back at assisted living only to fall again within a week. This time she hit her head on the wall and it cause a slight bleed in her brain. No surgery was needed, thank God! But she has been going downhill ever since with 2 more falls, a blood clot in her leg and now a bowel obstruction that won't move and can't be operated because the doctors say she won't survive the surgery. They gave her 2 weeks to live (give or take) because she can't be feed, the food has nowhere to go, but up. Tomarrow will be 2 weeks. She's still holding on.

thanks for sharing your heartache. This little info brings to mind all the different lives that are confined to one area. I am just so grateful that you take interest and let her know you are thinking of her. Makes BIG difference and you will feel better too.

Visiting a nursing home, reminds me of innocent lives that truly cannot change their future. I can't say anyone does not have a smile on their face unless they are experiencing some kind of pain. Only people could be more aware of this time when they mistreat each other. It is not easy time for them and the compassion and time we give makes them feel comforted. Treat them as the fragile life they are.

I am hoping her days ahead will be endured with proper attention and medication. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

Once again, thanks for sharing this information with us. Helps when others know your pain.

Yes, I did also hear about Billy Graham and Nancy Reagan. I think both are recovering well.
Getoutof mykitchen, your MIL is in my prayers. How aweful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom