"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-20-2007, 11:38 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Mario is out completely at the Food Network. He is persona non grata right now but no one knows exactly why that I've found.

I hate that Michael won. I wanted Besh, I think he's classier but with who the judges were, it was clear from the get go Besh would stick around to keep viewers interested in the competition but Michael was a shoe in for the win. It's just a fact. The way they did that show was kind of a joke to me.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #12
Head Chef

He isn't out...
Food Network Denies Firing of Mario Batali -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Old 11-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G. View Post
One, that story is old. Two, no one necessarily said he was fired. He could have walked away and FN could plausibly deny firing him. Either way, he's out regardless of what a story that is several months old may say. He's actually doing PBS right now.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I thought from the beginning that Besh would win, though I rooted for Symon the whole time. I know Symon and Michael Ruhlman have a bit of a history; Symon was a big resource for at least two of Ruhlman's books. And I think in the end, the reason they picked Symon was because he was willing to push his boundaries, and succeeded at it. Sure, Besh was daring (or stupid, can't figure for sure) enough to attempt a last minute swordfish dessert, but it failed. Heaving read Ruhlman's books and knowing that he, like I, is a stickler for proper technique, I know Symon likely has the better technical skills. Even more than that though, I think Symon has a better understanding of American cuisine as a whole, than Besh who really knows everything about Cajun/Creole/Louisiana regional cuisine. Besh pushed his southern Louisiana brand at every opportunity, and while he was good at it, it IS Iron Chef America, not Iron Chef Louisiana. And yes, each of the existing Iron Chefs do have their own comfort zones that they generally function within, but they have all demonstrated the ability to succeed beyond their comfort zones, but Besh never did.

One final thing about Besh- I totally agree with Ruhlman's critique of Besh's Watermelon Consomme', it was NOT a consomme, and Ruhlan was correct in noting that. That was simply sloppy naming or menu writing or w/e you want to call it on Besh's part. He KNOWS it wasn't a consomme.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:17 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Well, thanks for adding one more bullet point to my "it was fixed from the beginning" list.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:14 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
One, that story is old. Two, no one necessarily said he was fired. He could have walked away and FN could plausibly deny firing him. Either way, he's out regardless of what a story that is several months old may say. He's actually doing PBS right now.
Do you believe Mario himself? Food Network Is Still Hot for Mario Batali - TV Guide News Report | TVGuide.com

Do you know of a more recent story saying Batali is leaving? All one ones I've seen refer back to The New York Post's story in Sept.: Rumor Alert: Mario Batali isn't coming back to the Food Network - Slashfood
Old 11-20-2007, 01:50 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
No, because that stories as old as the other one.

Quote:
Do you know of a more recent story saying Batali is leaving? All one ones I've seen refer back to The New York Post's story in Sept.: Rumor Alert: Mario Batali isn't coming back to the Food Network - Slashfood

I heard it from a person who was auditioning for The Next Food Network star a couple weekends ago and his lack of presence at the end of The Next Iron Chef seem to confirm his status as not being there. He's got no shows on the network now. How is he still associated if he has no shows and is off Iron Chef America?

I do know he wasn't standing there this week for the new episode.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:40 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
No, because that stories as old as the other one.
I don't see how the fact that it's from September means it's not true.

Quote:
I heard it from a person who was auditioning for The Next Food Network star a couple weekends ago and his lack of presence at the end of The Next Iron Chef seem to confirm his status as not being there. He's got no shows on the network now. How is he still associated if he has no shows and is off Iron Chef America?
Ah. I was hoping you had a public source for that info. re: having no shows, the Food Network itself says he has taped some episodes of ICA and will do some specials.

Do Cat Cora or Morimoto hvae FN shows? If they do, I've never seen them.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:43 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Hi, Charlie. Where did you get this info?
They said it on TV that he is not going to do Iron Chef anymore. Or at least that what I understood
Old 11-20-2007, 04:35 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Got no news on this. But his shows have been phased out...obviously hasn't made a Molto episode in a few years. And the all Emeril all the time network has become the all Rachel all the time when it's not Paula network. PBS gets my vote for serious cooking shows, because even Bourdain gets tiresome grousing in foreign countries.