"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-20-2007, 07:58 PM   #31
Master Chef

There were few cooking, real cooking shows that they ditched.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:01 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun Cook
I am glad you said it first. I always felt that way too. Can't stand Bobby Flay as well. I think Alton Brown is about the only one on there I still watch anymore. Usually I catch the local cooking shows on the weekends like Paul Prudhomme, Lucy Zaunbrecher, and of course Justin Wilson.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
I know for sure that the Food Network did not renew his or Sara Mouton's contracts, and that they are no longer on. As for the Iron Chef thing...I don't know.
I doubt that either one of them is hurting for money, if they have any sense.

I like Sara, but never cared for her show. I did watch Mario, and learned a LOT from him, but he has always had an over-bearing attitude that is quite annoying.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:04 PM   #33
Master Chef

Tylor is a good guy, I like him a lot.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:06 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Here's one link:

FOOD NET CHEF MARIO FLAMES OUT

and another:

Gastronomical Inspirations: Mario Batali and PBS: The New Food Network?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Cat Cora has a Kitchen Accomplished show on FN. Is it still going this season? I don't know. But I love the kitchens they redo. :-)
Old 11-20-2007, 11:25 PM   #36
Master Chef

If Mario is gone, then FN is losing a great chef. He was possibly, and IMO, the standout chef on the network. Giada is cute, and her food is homey, and not too difficult to make. But she understands that she's not in the same caliber as, say, Bobby Flay. She is an accomplished cook for sure. And what she brings to the table is interesting, and looks great, if limited in scope. The same is true of Rachel Ray.

I also agree that FN isn't about teaching extraordinary cooking skills. That's the domain of Le' Cordon Bleu, or ICA. What FN is about, again in my opinion, is teaching the home cook a few tricks, and possibly opening the masses to a bit of experimentation, and getting out of their mac'n cheese comfort zones.

And don't even get me started on the Emerill shows. Though he is a trained, and accomplished chef, his shows are purely schtic and entertainment. How can you take seriously a guy who proffeses one year that to get a perfect turkey, you have to cook it breast-side down, and then the following year states that you start it in a 400' oven, with butter tucked under the skin, breast-side up? He changes his advise frequently to keep the show "fresh", not accurate.

I do like the Throwdowns from Bobby Flay, again as they are very entertaining. And though he does get beaten often enough, he usually doesn't get beaten by very much. And his food is genuinely good. He is more willing to go out on a limb.

As for the Besh/Symon competition, I thought that Symon was the better chef, again because he came through with foods outside of his comfort zone, but not outside of his skill level. I thought that Besh would win as he was had "the look" that was freindlier to the camera, and had competed on Iron Chef America and done fairly well. I was happily suprized when Symon won. I'm looking forward to see how well he does.

And for all of you Rachel Ray bashers, I am a fan of hers, not for her looks, and not for her quircky/perky presentations, but for her ability (with the help of FN) to assemble a meal, basically from scratch, that a home cook could make in thirty minutes.

I don't really believe that most people are organized enough to put together the meals that she makes in that time-space. But she shows that if you organize yourself, it can be done.

Take FN for what it is. It's certainly less harmfull to our society than are many of the mind numbing movies and programming available on most channels.

As a foodie, I liked Sarah Moulton, and Mario Batalli. I could learn from them. But I still watch FN occasionally, but more for the fun of it.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #37
Senior Cook

the foodnetwork has been reduced to a travel channel.

i'm primarily watching discovery home now.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:36 PM   #38
Head Chef

lol @ the dude who said those were the only guys he can watch.

You don't like Tyler Florence? How can anyone not like that guy?
Old 11-20-2007, 11:59 PM   #39
Sous Chef

I believe that Mario Batali is an excellent chef. The only problem I ever had with him is that he talked too fast and too much history. History is ok, but like I said, he talked too fast and I could pick up bits here and there and missed the recipes.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:30 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
You're right about Mario, he taught alot but with his nose in the air!
He made a comment once about being about to get some ingredient anywhere "unless you're in the midwest or something"
'scuse me?

Does it matter where or how a person lives to believe they could possibly know something about good food?

I was born in NY and know what he meant, but only to a point. True, it's the land of bland, but it doesn't mean we're ignorant!