Next iron chef question, anyone know?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is no more cooking on the FN, it's either traveling or some psico babel. I kept basic 2 for cable just to get FN, but looks like I'm going to cansel it pretty soon here. It is waiste of money.

I don't see how the fact that it's from September means it's not true.
Things change.

Ah. I was hoping you had a public source for that info. re: having no shows, the Food Network itself says he has taped some episodes of ICA and will do some specials.

Do Cat Cora or Morimoto hvae FN shows? If they do, I've never seen them.
Well, it was public at the auditions. I guess there's a difference between public and broadcast? They did say, as Charlie pointed out, he's no longer doing ICA. Cat doesn't and likely a Morimoto show wouldn't get ratings in America because of the language barrier. They also subtitle him, even on the last Next ICA they had him subtitled.

With no shows and him off of ICA, I'd say that's kind of confirmation that they've parted ways.

Was Mario Batali "fired" from food network?

i recently read that FN canceled one of his shows (molto mario) and that he disagreed and said he would NOT do iron chef.

then, they said, "later."

any truth to this, or am i way late with old news?

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the Food Network did not renew his Show and now he's no longer one of the Iron Chef's . . . he's outta there.

Food Network, I think is in kohutz with restaurant business, and they don't want people to cook any more. They want us to go out more. So they are getting rid off good chefs and brink some bother shows for people to watch. That is how urban legends start, btw.

I know for sure that the Food Network did not renew his or Sara Mouton's contracts, and that they are no longer on. As for the Iron Chef thing...I don't know.
I doubt that either one of them is hurting for money, if they have any sense.

I like Sara, but never cared for her show. I did watch Mario, and learned a LOT from him, but he has always had an over-bearing attitude that is quite annoying.

They did the same thing to David Rosengarten way back when foodtv was only a year or two old. Anyone remember his show, "Taste"? He was the Alton Brown of his time.

I am glad you said it first. :LOL: I always felt that way too. Can't stand Bobby Flay as well. I think Alton Brown is about the only one on there I still watch anymore. Usually I catch the local cooking shows on the weekends like Paul Prudhomme, Lucy Zaunbrecher, and of course Justin Wilson.

Jim

I know for sure that the Food Network did not renew his or Sara Mouton's contracts, and that they are no longer on. As for the Iron Chef thing...I don't know.
I doubt that either one of them is hurting for money, if they have any sense.

I like Sara, but never cared for her show. I did watch Mario, and learned a LOT from him, but he has always had an over-bearing attitude that is quite annoying.

Cat Cora has a Kitchen Accomplished show on FN. Is it still going this season? I don't know. But I love the kitchens they redo. :)

Last edited:
If Mario is gone, then FN is losing a great chef. He was possibly, and IMO, the standout chef on the network. Giada is cute, and her food is homey, and not too difficult to make. But she understands that she's not in the same caliber as, say, Bobby Flay. She is an accomplished cook for sure. And what she brings to the table is interesting, and looks great, if limited in scope. The same is true of Rachel Ray.

I also agree that FN isn't about teaching extraordinary cooking skills. That's the domain of Le' Cordon Bleu, or ICA. What FN is about, again in my opinion, is teaching the home cook a few tricks, and possibly opening the masses to a bit of experimentation, and getting out of their mac'n cheese comfort zones.

And don't even get me started on the Emerill shows. Though he is a trained, and accomplished chef, his shows are purely schtic and entertainment. How can you take seriously a guy who proffeses one year that to get a perfect turkey, you have to cook it breast-side down, and then the following year states that you start it in a 400' oven, with butter tucked under the skin, breast-side up? He changes his advise frequently to keep the show "fresh", not accurate.

I do like the Throwdowns from Bobby Flay, again as they are very entertaining. And though he does get beaten often enough, he usually doesn't get beaten by very much. And his food is genuinely good. He is more willing to go out on a limb.

As for the Besh/Symon competition, I thought that Symon was the better chef, again because he came through with foods outside of his comfort zone, but not outside of his skill level. I thought that Besh would win as he was had "the look" that was freindlier to the camera, and had competed on Iron Chef America and done fairly well. I was happily suprized when Symon won. I'm looking forward to see how well he does.

And for all of you Rachel Ray bashers, I am a fan of hers, not for her looks, and not for her quircky/perky presentations, but for her ability (with the help of FN) to assemble a meal, basically from scratch, that a home cook could make in thirty minutes.

I don't really believe that most people are organized enough to put together the meals that she makes in that time-space. But she shows that if you organize yourself, it can be done.

Take FN for what it is. It's certainly less harmfull to our society than are many of the mind numbing movies and programming available on most channels.

As a foodie, I liked Sarah Moulton, and Mario Batalli. I could learn from them. But I still watch FN occasionally, but more for the fun of it.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

the foodnetwork has been reduced to a travel channel.

i'm primarily watching discovery home now.

lol @ the dude who said those were the only guys he can watch.

You don't like Tyler Florence? How can anyone not like that guy?

I believe that Mario Batali is an excellent chef. The only problem I ever had with him is that he talked too fast and too much history. History is ok, but like I said, he talked too fast and I could pick up bits here and there and missed the recipes.

You're right about Mario, he taught alot but with his nose in the air!
He made a comment once about being about to get some ingredient anywhere "unless you're in the midwest or something"
'scuse me?

Does it matter where or how a person lives to believe they could possibly know something about good food?

I was born in NY and know what he meant, but only to a point. True, it's the land of bland, but it doesn't mean we're ignorant!

Back
Top Bottom