"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-20-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Next iron chef question, anyone know?

Hi to my favorite foodies.
I watched the Next Iron Chef thing on TVFoodnetwork as maybe many of you did also.
I'm confused.
Is Morimoto gone?
Is Mario Batalli gone?
I don't see their pix on the wall anymore.
Bobby F and Cat C were judges on the final Next Iron Chef but MM and MB weren't there.
Any answers would be appreciated.
Also, do you agree with the winner?
I thank Uncle Bob for telling me about August in New Orleans as it's now my favorite place in the world to eat so I wanted Chef John Besh to win. Now I suppose I will have to someday go to Lola.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Head Chef

Morimoto was there. In fact, he was quite funny during the judging. Perhaps Mario has left.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:38 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I haven't heard anything about their leaving. I would not assume they are gone based on not being there for the judging...
Old 11-20-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
Hi to my favorite foodies.
I watched the Next Iron Chef thing on TVFoodnetwork as maybe many of you did also.
I'm confused.
Is Morimoto gone?
Is Mario Batalli gone?
I don't see their pix on the wall anymore.
Bobby F and Cat C were judges on the final Next Iron Chef but MM and MB weren't there.
Any answers would be appreciated.
Also, do you agree with the winner?
I thank Uncle Bob for telling me about August in New Orleans as it's now my favorite place in the world to eat so I wanted Chef John Besh to win. Now I suppose I will have to someday go to Lola.
I was wondering if one of them would be leaving, too, but they're all still listed on the Web site (although not on the title ): Mario Batali - Masaharu Morimoto - Cat Cora - Bobby Flay - Iron Chef America - Show List A To Z - TV - Food Network

re: pix on the wall, maybe they're just promoting Michael Symon for now. And they had three judges all along, although it was quite a surprise to have iron chefs judge the last one

I was rooting for John Besh all along, but the last challenge, in Kitchen Stadium, I thought Symon did exceptionally well, and it seemed like the judges *really* did not like the dessert Besh made - I mean really, a swordfish dessert? Nice try, Besh.

Quote:
Now I suppose I will have to someday go to Lola.
Do you mean NOLA (New Orleans, LA)? I've only been there once, but I loved it - gorgeous city, great food, lots of fun.

Did anyone see the one with Batali/Ray and Flay/Di Laurentiis? Giada jumping up and down in frustration because her water wouldn't boil was just *too funny*. And the look on her face when Cook Rachael beat Chef Giada was priceless.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I was wondering if one of them would be leaving, too, but they're all still listed on the Web site (although not on the title ): Mario Batali - Masaharu Morimoto - Cat Cora - Bobby Flay - Iron Chef America - Show List A To Z - TV - Food Network

re: pix on the wall, maybe they're just promoting Michael Symon for now. And they had three judges all along, although it was quite a surprise to have iron chefs judge the last one

I was rooting for John Besh all along, but the last challenge, in Kitchen Stadium, I thought Symon did exceptionally well, and it seemed like the judges *really* did not like the dessert Besh made - I mean really, a swordfish dessert? Nice try, Besh.

Do you mean NOLA (New Orleans, LA)? I've only been there once, but I loved it - gorgeous city, great food, lots of fun.

Did anyone see the one with Batali/Ray and Flay/Di Laurentiis? Giada jumping up and down in frustration because her water wouldn't boil was just *too funny*. And the look on her face when Cook Rachael beat Chef Giada was priceless.
1. MS seems to know his stuff and whoever it was that said, the last thing a person remembers is the last thing they ate meaning the dessert was obviously correct.
2. I do mean Lola which is in Cleveland Ohio> Michael Symon's restaurant.
3. Yes, I watched that Iron Chef with BF and MB and the two lady's and do agree, GDLR seemed stressed out to me too.
4. Now that it's mentioned MM was there and did do some of the judging. Now though, watching the Iron Chef with MS on his first challage, I did not see MB or MM's photo on the back wall, just BF and CC's. So???
Old 11-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
1. Michael Symon [and his laugh] when he used to have a cooking show just drove me bats. Unfortunately for me, that laugh isn't infectious. He seems to know his stuff and whoever it was that said, the last thing a person remembers is the last thing they ate meaning the dessert was obviously correct.
Funny how the same thing affects people differently I thought his laugh was cute and it always made me smile - it sounded like he was having a great time.

Quote:
2. And no, I do mean Lola which is in Cleveland Ohio> Michael Symon's restaurant or else he's the head chef there, not sure.
Oh, sorry - I didn't remember that.

Quote:
3. Yes, I watched that Iron Chef with BF and MB and the two lady's and do agree, GDLR seemed highly stressed out to me too.
4. Now that it's mentioned MM was there and did do some of the judging. Now though, watching the Iron Chef with MS on his first challage, I did not see MB or MM's photo on the back wall, just BF and CC's. So???
I don't know if that means anything or not. While TNIC series was going on, I was thinking it might be to replace Morimoto, since he's rarely chosen by the challengers. I found this discussion on Chowhound.com - Batali denies he's leaving: Batali Did Not Quit Iron Chef America - Food Media and News - Chowhound

But who knows? There's one way to find out - stay tuned!
Old 11-20-2007, 11:20 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
And no, I do mean Lola which is in Cleveland Ohio> Michael Symon's restaurant or else he's the head chef there, not sure

Actually he owns two restaraunts here. Lola and Lolita. Unfortunately I never have the time or the money to go to either one.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:30 AM   #8
Head Chef

On the final decision. One of the attributes they judged was how they came across on TV--are they entertaining. I think Besh is probably a better chef, but Symon is more outgoing and entertaining. I think that is why he got the nod....
Old 11-20-2007, 11:33 AM   #9
Master Chef

I kind of agree with Jeff here.
And to answer the original question - Mario is leaving the show.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
And to answer the original question - Mario is leaving the show.
Hi, Charlie. Where did you get this info?