"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-14-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Next time you grow Cabbage or Cucumbers USE....

Human Urine as the fertilizer.

Web Special: You fertilized with what?: Science News Online, Sept. 22, 2007

Quote:
Surendra K. Pradhan of the University of Kuopio and his colleagues grew cabbages using a conventional fertilizer, human urine that had been stored for 6 months, or no soil amendments at all. In an upcoming issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, the researchers report that urine treatment yielded cabbages that were bigger and carried fewer germs than either other approach yielded.

Although the nutrient content of urine depends on what someone has eaten, analyses of the urine used in these experiments showed that its nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium content was comparable to that of commercial fertilizer.

Sauerkraut made from cabbages cultivated in the three ways had slightly different flavors, according to taste panelists, but were equally well liked.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
Head Chef

I'm surprised they did not try night soil.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
Master Chef

Sorry, that's disgusting, & always has been. And that recommendation & those "studies" have been making the rounds for years. Not the same studies - always "new" ones, but still about the same old disgusting route.

If you want to fertilize your vegetable garden beds with your own urine, go to it, but please don't offer the resulting produce to neighbors or sell it at farmers' markets without displaying your fertilization method. Your particular possible pathogens aren't welcome, thank you.

Good grief - with all the wonderful possibilities available just from using regular composted materials, some idiots have to spend $$ researching using someone's piss on the garden?? Tell them to spend their money somewhere more worthwhile please.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
Head Chef

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Old 10-15-2007, 05:27 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Well BreezyCooking, if you try it, you just might like it.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:47 PM   #6
Master Chef

There are very few things in this world that I won't try first before panning, however luckily I was born with some common sense to factor in.

And consuming vegetables that have been fertilized by my own or anyone else's urine definitely comes under the heading of using COMMON SENSE. Go ahead Kleenex, pee away on your vegetables & eat them to your heart's content. Just don't go proselytizing the rest of the free world about it.

Oh - & I am assuming that you already use this method & have eaten the yummy produce yourself? Or are you just waiting for someone else to try this moronic idea first?
Old 10-15-2007, 06:00 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Or are you just waiting for someone else to try this moronic idea first?
Well the people behind this study already have tried this so called moronic idea.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:07 PM   #8
Master Chef

I understand that. It goes without saying that there are always going to be a few nuts in every tree.

But have YOU tried it? If you're advising others pursue this idea, I'm assuming that you yourself have done this?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:20 AM   #9
Master Chef

When I was a child living in Germany, night soil was used as fertilizer very commonly. If I remember correctly, we were warned to more or less sterilize the fresh produce. My mom thought if the Germans could eat it, we could (don't get me wrong, she washed it as we all wash our fresh produce, she just didn't soak it in a bleach solution). My sisters, parents, and I are still alive and healthy.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:51 AM   #10
Head Chef

I am in the "You've got to be kidding" camp. This sounds disgusting. I am sure I could never make myself try it.