"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-30-2007, 08:03 PM   #11
Executive Chef

TexasGirl, this might sound strange, but don't overeducate yourself. You certainly need to know what is going on and the right questions to ask and what to expect but the phrase "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" is especially true of things medical. It is very easy to over-worry yourself and to become pessimistic without realising it. I spent a lot of time with patients that had similar problems to myself and you would hear their stories and absorb it all and wonder if this was your future too. There were times though when you just wanted them all to shut up! Knowing what was likely to happen didn't make the happening any easier, nor did it stop it from happening. I'm not saying don't do it - you have to - but tread carefully for your sake and that of your niece's. Don't forget also that if you know too much, your worry will be harder to contain and more easily transferred to your niece.

Unenviable situation. Sorry you are having to go through it.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:51 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Powerful Words

your worry will be harder to contain and more easily transferred to your niece.

POWERFUL WORDS! Your words are like a good recipe to me. I personally, am going to copy and keep where I can refer to them in cases when I 'want' to do the most. The part of 'shutting up' is so hard. You want to help so much that you can feel the pain. I had done this so often and find myself trying to different. I always, always, and I mean forever put myself in their place and lean on prayer to help even though I wish I could make it go away myself.

Thank you so much for your thoughts. They are priceless. I am grateful to read your words. Need it at this time in my life.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:57 PM   #13
Master Chef

bilby, don't worry. I don't overread into things like this. I didn't mean that I go off looking at everything that can go wrong, no, I go to the American Cancer Society and other places of this nature. I did the very same when my mom was diagnosed with Colon Cancer it helped me tremendously to know what was ahead in treatment, symptoms, emotions etc..
We are taking it day by day and we'll will deal with anything that happens and be overjoyed when it is all over and she is in the clear. I have faith that the surgery will be all that she needs.
I also don't take what others say as gospel either. I am able to read and listen to others experiences without jumping to the bad. My niece knows that I love her dearly and knows that we are all worried and scared for her, but, we do not go overboard and scare her. Like I said, my niece is strong. She is laughing and joking and being the person that she always is. We have gone this route before with my mom and it is nothing like hers. We knew she was going to die before it happened because it had spread so far. My niece will live a long and healthy life because it was caught in time.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:21 PM   #14
Executive Chef

texas

You sound good too! Keep on keepin' on. We are all keepin' you and your family in our thoughts and prayers
Old 11-01-2007, 01:35 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Good to hear Texas Girl. Thanks In the Kitchen for your comments too.