"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-04-2007, 12:36 PM   #11
Everymom

PA, quite likely that babies sleep cycles are shorter. My friends daughter is definitely out of babyhood. I really really hope you get this addressed soon. Poor Sofie must be scared witless and you guys are going to be dragging your behinds for a while. I remember the days of no sleep very well! (its what keeps the "I want another baby" thing at bay) I know it seems like forever, but just remember this too shall pass. And soon you will be sharing your "war stories" and getting lots of sleep. Hang in there!

Old 01-04-2007, 12:42 PM   #12
Sous Chef

just curious...and i dont mean to be insensitive...but what on earth could an infant be having night terrors about??

Old 01-04-2007, 01:00 PM   #13
Everymom

mugsy, I think PA mentioned wet diapers etc in a post there somewhere. I have no idea what they would be thinking about, but young ones with active imaginations can extrapolate a LOT from things they see every day. Someone swinging them above their heads for an "airplane ride" that gets out of hand or something like that.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugsy27
just curious...and i dont mean to be insensitive...but what on earth could an infant be having night terrors about??
Alix is right, we all (including babies) have certain things that stress us out and can cause things like night terrors. I learned that fear of life situations can begin very early. I had a recurring nightmare my whole life until about age 16 (not a night terror this time but a regular nightmare) which had me puzzled for years. The first time I remember having this dream was when I was 4 or 5 years old. In the dream my sister and I were riding bikes down this big street (the funny thing is I didn't learn how to ride a bike until I was 9, lol). Suddenly she went over a hill and I couldn't see her anymore. The houses suddenly looked very far away and I was terrified I was lost and would not be able to find my sister or home. When I was about 16 I was discussing the dream with my cousin. I suddenly had a "lightbulb" moment and said that I believed the reason I kept having that dream was that I was afraid of getting out on my own. I never had that dream again after that. Fear and stress don't just affect adults.

Barbara
Old 01-04-2007, 08:53 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Maybe I'm just old, but dont most children wake up in the middle of the night for one reason or other? They cry for whatever reason as others have mentioned (wet diaper, hungry, missing mommy or daddy, not tired, need burping, gassy, constipated) Honestly I've never heard of "night terrors" and am not sure why you would call it that simply because the baby wakes up at night.

Try not to worry too much, I mean your nearby and obviously hear the baby so you can be there in a moment. I am not trying to miminize your situation because I know it's very hard to wake up many times during the night, and even worse to think there is something wrong with your child, but what your baby is going through seems normal to me.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:59 PM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Amber,

Night terrors are exactly what the name signifies--terrifying. It is not the same as waking up from a bad dream. You are actually living the dream during that period. If you reread PA Baker's description of what is happening, you will see that Sofie isn't just waking up from a bad dream or with a wet diaper. She is scared, not just shaken up from a bad dream.

Barbara
Old 01-04-2007, 09:21 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Thanks Barb. And here is more info for those that are unsure as I was.

Toddlers Today: Night Terrors: Recognizing this sleep disorder and putting parentsí fears to rest.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:32 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Just to add to what PaBaker mentioned:

Barbara, our doc said taht babies have bad dreams just like grown-ups, but about fears relevant to them--really wet diapers, being hungry, not seeing Mama or Daddy...that kind of thing. Sounds like James better watch his back when he sleeps!
Old 01-05-2007, 05:58 AM   #19
Executive Chef

I suppose babies could dream the same as anyone else. I've often had dreams about something I hadn't experienced in real life. I dreamt once that a boss asked me to do a "compendium" on a conference I'd gone to. I'd didn't remember ever having heard that word, but it was used correctly in my dream. I suppose our brain is such a grand storage place that everything must be there whether we are aware or not.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:46 PM   #20
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I dont have kids. I have heard night terrors mentioned before. Are these not just bad dreams? Can you just wake them up and give them a stuffed animal? Im at a loss here.