No kids, how come?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Slightly, but only slightly off topic is the other question. Why aren't you married? I have been single for 25 out of the past 30 years, and unhappy for 5. The first couple of times I ignore the question, then, if it persists, I answer that I do not want to have to get a larger house. I live in 4200 feet on 2 acres.
Sometimes I think that it simply a case of misery loves company.

Good thing my tubes are tied all the baby talk (and Stine's pic!) are making me want another!
I better take them all shopping and cure myself.......
:)

Anyone have inlaws or outlaws try and guilt you into having kids or ask you when the bundles of joys were coming???? hahaha............

That is my situation. My own parents, if not understanding, are not vocal about my lack of children. They respecgt my life's choices. I firmly refuse to have kids before I have a husband. And my BF of 6 years is dragging on that. He's 40 and I'm 30 so I don't think it's going to happen this time around for me. That's okay, I don't yearn for kids, but I don't want it to be my one great regret in life (not having them).

Anyone have inlaws or outlaws try and guilt you into having kids or ask you when the bundles of joys were coming???? hahaha...
Not guilt or anything, but Nick's Mother talks about marriage and children every time we visit her (about once a month). And my best friend also says it's just a matter of time. My own Mother also got a little excited when Nick and I were talking about our plans to move to Kingston and how we were planning for the long term.....

I can't blame Nick's Mother for being that way, seeing as her only daughter likes women and her other older son hasn't had a girlfriend in years and is getting into his high 30's. She loves kids and is getting the gramma itch.

Nick and I have talked about it and would like children when we are married and financially ready. Being married means we are absolutely sure we want to spend the rest of our lives together and dedicate our lives to each other and any children.

Nick is just amazing with kids, starting as an elementary teacher in late fall this year. He wants at least two. Me, I have never really had the itch before I met him - maybe I just hadn't met the right person. Now, I see children in our future. I want at least two children. Growing up as an only child as I did has its advantages, but I missed having a sibling.

Last edited:
Being married means we are absolutely sure we want to spend the rest of our lives together and dedicate our lives to each other and any children.

Tempis Fugit! You will wake up someday and realize the Rest of Your Life has arrived and is passing in a blur. If you're willing to move together to a new city and set up housekeeping...
well.... um.....time to make that decision!!!! (my opinion only, of course.)
I wasted 12 years waiting to find out if we were compatible..... Good thing I woke up moved on and found my life mate.

Unfortunately the question "why aren't you married?" rings in the ears of the single adults in my "culture" (religion--at least in the local area). My religion teaches that marriage is the most important thing you can do here on earth, but a lot of the adults take it too far. They pester poor single people who sincerely want to get married with that question, when it's simply that they can't find someone they would be happy to settle down with. People think they aren't "trying" hard enough. But hey, if they haven't found someone they aren't compatible with, there isn't much they can do about it. Although I think people are starting to realize that and be more sensitive to them.

And as far as that question goes pertaining to people who are living together and not married--I guess I'd ask the same question. Why not get married? (Of course, my religion teaches abstinence before marriage so that would be the main reason for that :)).

I hope I'm not breaking taboo here by mentioning religion. I'm not trying to preach, I just couldn't really answer the question without mentioning it a little. No one here is obligated to live my the rules of my religion. :cool:

2 of my kids have been living with their SO's for 6+ years - my oldest has been living with her SO for 9 years! They both say that they don't feel a need to get married unless they have children. I suspect that seeing people go through divorces their whole lives (since it is much more commonplace than when I was a kid), it makes young people a little gun-shy. There are probably a lot of different factors. Oddly, it's my kids that don't want to get married - their SOs have both said they would like to get married. I don't really understand it because they both seem to be very much in love and are completely monogamous.

Tempis Fugit! You will wake up someday and realize the Rest of Your Life has arrived and is passing in a blur. If you're willing to move together to a new city and set up housekeeping...
well.... um.....time to make that decision!!!! (my opinion only, of course.)
I wasted 12 years waiting to find out if we were compatible..... Good thing I woke up moved on and found my life mate.
Grilling, we have only been together for a year, we are both sure we want to be together BUT before we get married we want to be established and comfortable in our new jobs in Ontario. SO maybe I will have an engagement by New Years! lol

12 years would be wayyyyy too long for me. If 2 years has passed without a ring, I'm asking for one! LOL

If 2 years has passed without a ring, I'm asking for one!
You go, girl! :) :)
No reason the man has to do it.

The one rule for marriage happiness comes from the Wizard of Oz movie... paraphrased..
"If you can't find happiness in your own backyard, you are looking in the wrong place..."
:) Took me a while to figure that one out.

OK, back to baaabieeees! Squealing, pooping icky things! EWWW!
(Just kidding!!!)

stiney, your son is beautiful!!!! god bless.

i think that i hold the record for long term engagement. i bought dw the ring in '92, and we didn't get married until '03.
i guess she just wanted a big chunk of ice on her finger to show my comittment (really, to make her girlfriends jealous), but wasn't interested in getting married until she wanted a baby.

a word of advice for the guys: just make sure to get a tiffany setting and keep it clean, so as to scare off or refractively blind any unwelcome suitors when you're not around. :cool:

oh, the way you stop older relatives from poking you in the ribs at every family wedding exclaiming "you're next", is to do the same to them at family funerals.

Last edited:
Well Nick isn't getting any younger (he just turned 30 yesterday) so he told me he wants kids within the next 2-5 years. I told him I won't have kids without a ring on my finger and he agreed. So that kind of puts us on a timeline lol

umm, it's still 9 months, isn't it? i know you can do things fast, but...

(he hee, just teasing saph. ;))

i think that i hold the record for long term engagement. i bought dw the ring in '92, and we didn't get married until '03.
Wow! Well at least you knew your wife had the patience of Job before you married her!

Good advice about the ring - you can never go wrong with Tiffany.

Note to self: Never attend funeral with BT.

Since the subject of sons and potty training was mentioned, I wonder how many here have had the pleasure of getting peed on while changing their sons diaper? Seems like a right of passage almost, LOL.

I have yet to be peed on by my son. Every single time I change his diaper I thank him for not peeing on me.

Daily. One time he almost got me in the mouth. Tinklecaps do NOT help, either. He has a stream like a stallion and blows it right off..

LOL!!!!!!!
My first 2 were boys, so by the time I had Christina I was still dodging every time I opened the diaper!!!
My first had the best one.... he was about 3 weeks old and we were visiting DH's aunt. We had him on a table to change his diaper.
DH's aunt put her soda can down on the table to get us something..... Jacob starts going, straight up over his head, keeping himself (and his dad) completely dry, and landing a steady stream STRAIGHT into the hole in the soda can!!!!
THAT is talent!!!!
Too bad he doesn't still have that sense of aim now at 8 1/2.......

Back
Top Bottom