"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-05-2008, 11:01 PM   #111
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Go back over the banana thing, but this time show em the wrong way to do it!
I have told them that I'd really like at least one grandchild someday and that if they wanted to draw straws to see who had to do the deed, that was OK with me.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:04 PM   #112
Master Chef

Tell em get started soon or you know someone on DC that will let you adopt three as your grandchildren!

Old 07-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #113
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Tell em get started soon or you know someone on DC that will let you adopt three as your grandchildren!
I would jump on this in a heartbeat, Mav! I've seen your kids - they are absolutely gorgeous!
Old 07-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #114
Master Chef

Aww Thanks...

Now when can I send em down there??
Old 07-05-2008, 11:33 PM   #115
Executive Chef

Here is my story, as a teenager in the early 70s and I believe it should really apply now to young girls now. I was a young really cute girl I had a lot of dates in High School and I really wanted a boyfriend really bad but I knew in my heart that if a boy that really liked me he would not press me for sex well obviously they did try to get it but I never put out as a result I got dumped all the time but to me I knew they were not into me but looking to get layed I was so smart in those days. Got teased alot as well mostly by girls they called me Prudence and Virgin Mary. Not to say when I got older I was a bit wild but I was much older then and even more wiser.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:50 PM   #116
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Here is my story, as a teenager in the early 70s and I believe it should really apply now to young girls now. I was a young really cute girl I had a lot of dates in High School and I really wanted a boyfriend really bad but I knew in my heart that if a boy that really liked me he would not press me for sex well obviously they did try to get it but I never put out as a result I got dumped all the time but to me I knew they were not into me but looking to get layed I was so smart in those days. Got teased alot as well mostly by girls they called me Prudence and Virgin Mary. Not to say when I got older I was a bit wild but I was much older then and even more wiser.
Funny you should mention that, I actually got dumped by three girlfriends for not having sex with them. I actually had one that thought I didn't like her just because, the first time I actually met her, in a movie theater doubling with my friend and his girlfriend, I didn't put my arm around her and start making moves on her and making out with her.
Um, yea I just met her that night!?
Old 07-06-2008, 12:11 AM   #117
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to darlenemt08
I'm 42 yrs. old and I'm single. I haven't found the right guy yet. I can't have kids and it doesn't bother me. When I was younger, I wanted 10 kids. LOL Boy, I sure don't know where my mind was then. LOL I babysat very little when I was a teenager and those kids were older kids and harder for me to control. I'm 4', 5-1/2" tall and kids who are my size & taller and, 8 yrs. & up are usually harder for me to control. As an adult, I accidentally fell into babysitting for a living and I did it for 17 yrs. Throughout that time, I learned to change diapers. YUCK!!! Heck, I'd NEVER changed diapers while growing up! My mom, dad, older sisters, or other adult
changed my younger brother's diapers. I still have trouble changing messy diapers & wiping butts and I have come close to throwing up many times. LOL I've learned to clean up vomit and that's worse than changing diapers. I cleaned it up and almost throwed up MANY times. Either clean it up and deal with the fact of throwing up/almost throwing up or, just leave it for the babysitting parents to clean it up after they come home and let the kids run through it. I chose to clean it up and get it over with. While cleaning up, I'd run into the other room for fresh breaths about every min. or two. LOL I also PRAYED TO GOD for help! LOL As always, He helped me through it. I lost my patience many times and my temper flaired. Almost all of the families allowed me to spank their kids...only had one who didn't allow it. I used my hand but left the spanking boards up to the parents to use after they come home. Many times, I was accidentally called "Mom" and many times, I felt like one. LOL I felt like yanking my hair out many times! LOL I've learned quickly that whatever I'd say, the kids would also say and so, I had to think before saying certain things, especially when I was angry. I was never comfortable around kids and so, I learned a lot while babysitting. I was such a good babysitter that I had a list of clients. Certain jobs were full-time and others were an occasional day or weekend job. I'm a crafter and started doing crafts with the kids. I had one family with 4 kids and the parents praised me with doing crafts with their kids. The 3 older kids' (preschool - 7 yrs.) teachers said that they saw the difference in those kids than other kids in the classes. These kids were outgoing and anxious to start crafting when it was craft time while the other kids would stand back and didn't know what to do. I shared my love of doing plastic canvas crafts with the 3 olders kids in this same family. I still do an occasional craft with my nieces & nephews. I've seen the changes in the kids whom I've babysat for. I've watched certain ones in my area grow up over the years and have gone to a few graduations. Boy, that makes me feel a bit older. LOL

Babysitting showed me that I don't want kids...well, at least not babies or toddler age. Once the right guy comes along, I'd be willing to adopt an older child. I'd love to have somebody to do crafts with or cook with. I love to cook & bake and it'd be nice to share that with a child. It's OK if my future husband has a child or two. If they're well-behaved, that'd be great. If not, I may grow gray hair faster. LOL I'd deal with it IF I cross that bridge.

My 3 dogs are my "kids". I've shared a house with my older sister for the past 21 yrs. and we've had at least 1 dog for most of those years but our family slowly grew. My dogs drive me nuts many times but I have trouble saying 'no' or punishing them when they give me those special looks. You can do things with dogs that you can't with kids. I love coming home from wherever and there's all 3 barking at me with the youngest screaming. LOL My mom & dad have accepted the fact that my sister's & my dogs are our "kids" and they're also their "granddogs". Our parents have also pretty much accepted the fact that my sister & I don't plan to give them grandkids. My 2 mottoes in my signature says what I think of dogs.

Early in my sister's & my adult years, we both would get asked about why we weren't married and didn't have kids. Finally, my sister came up with something to shut certain female cousins up. She said that getting married is our business. She said that if we wanted to have kids, we would have had them. We're not in abusive relationships, divorced, single & pregnant, live on welfare, have AIDS or other diseases. We're happy being single and without kids.

I don't care what others think when they're wondering if I'm going to have kids whenever I get married. It's MY business what I do with my life. It's between GOD & me, NOT them & me. For those who want kids and can't have them, I feel sad for you. I know of women who can't get pregnant and really want to have their own kids. If adoption is an option, go for it. Try adopting older kids and show them that they CAN be adopted at their age. For those who chooses not to have kids, I stand behind you. It's YOUR decision to decide not to have kids, NOT others. Just don't let others try to force you into having kids just because they've got them or your parents are pestering you to have them.

Well, that's it from lil' ol' me.

Darlene
Old 07-06-2008, 12:23 AM   #118
Sous Chef

I always wanted kids, ever since I can remember. Just had a strong maternal instiinct, I guess. And I was fortunate to have two, done having babies by 25. Now they are grown and I'm still relatively young (forties). It was tough when they flew the coop, but now I'm loving life.

My heart goes out to those that struggle to concieve. And I have a HUGE respect for those that decide that parenting is not something they desire and make sure it doesn't happen. Being a mom is an experience I treasure for many reasons. But we are all wired differently. Kudo's to you that make a conscious decision NOT to be a parent. I wish more people were as wise.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #119
Head Chef

Fisher's Mom, you are way cool. I had the same talks with my teenagers (while the 10 year old overheard the talk). They called me the condom lady. I used a rootbeer bottle, though the banana would have worked, had we had bananas in the house that day. The neighborhood boys would take condoms from the medicine cabinet--better safe than sorry.
Later that day, the 10 year old is making on a comment on something completely unrelated, and he says 'That makes condom sense'.........we all burst out laughing. Poor kid can't live that one down and he's 17 now.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #120
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Fisher's Mom, you are way cool. I had the same talks with my teenagers (while the 10 year old overheard the talk). They called me the condom lady. I used a rootbeer bottle, though the banana would have worked, had we had bananas in the house that day. The neighborhood boys would take condoms from the medicine cabinet--better safe than sorry.
Later that day, the 10 year old is making on a comment on something completely unrelated, and he says 'That makes condom sense'.........we all burst out laughing. Poor kid can't live that one down and he's 17 now.
too funny........is that a slip of the banana peel?

My foot was halfway in the nunnery when I married........used to wrap a towel around my head and give out Holy Communion in the neighborhood---thought I wanted to be a nun for the longest time........boy did my dad get some phone calls But, I also knew thanks to Mrs. Schwartz in high school that it takes only one time and you can become a parent for the next 18 years of your life......no way was it happening to me.....oldest of 5 and had very little as a result and had to babysit thru my teens (most exciting experience was having a toddler throw up in my waist length hair--every strand was covered and also the fountains of urine splashed in my face when changing a boy--I swear that they knew what they were doing).......no way was I going to be tied down with kids.........had to be talked into my first one at age 28......really didn't want any until I had my goddaughter and then I wanted one......but we were financially independent by then, too, with both of us having worked for 8 years...... No, not until they hit their teens was there a wee bit of regret.....but that too did pass......now my two are great adults......

I'll be the first to defend anyone's rights to choose for themselves........