"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I was thinking the same thing as I was reading this!!!! One thing in dogs' favor - they will never wreck your car.
My sister's jack russel ate th back seat upholstery and THE ENTIRE dash board of her car. and then did the same to hr next car

Old 07-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #22
Master Chef

i'm undecided. i have school & $$ issues that preceed kiddos. i want them dearly, i just need to be at that right spot. i'm considering motherhood, 'cept not till i'm like 35 & pulled together & healthy again.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #23
Head Chef

I was never interested much in kids. Spent 8 years with a woman who had
2, and NEVER SHOULD HAVE. She was not a Mom, never developed that
unconditional Motherly love thing.
After we failed, I thought long and hard about it, and decided that I wasn't a Dad,
either.
No urge to pass on the genes.
Absolutely positively CAN NOT stand howling kids, kids who don't behave. I know,
without a doubt, that having a teenager would be the death of me... or him/her, LOL!
Luckily, I found me a wonderful wife who feels the same way. Got myself permanently
removed from the gene pool potential about 9 years ago.
Pity... both of us are quite smart with great work ethics and morals, LOLOLOLOL!
(That last line is humor, ark ark ark. True, but humor!!!!)

edit to add: Include me in the "Pets are my kids" crew... see my photo album, LOL!
I have 2 daughters!
Old 07-03-2008, 02:06 PM   #24
Executive Chef

OMG, thanks for the huge laugh JP and Lulu!!! Dogs as freeloaders! I love it. And Lulu, if you could see the inside of my minivan - your sister's dog's got nothing on my crew. But I don't think they actually ate the upholstery.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #25
Head Chef

If you didn't find the pieces, chances are it was in their poop. :p
Old 07-03-2008, 04:06 PM   #26
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I believe children are a wonderful blessing, and I am glad I had my daughter (wanted more but was divorced young). However, I hate it when people try to pressure people who don't want kids. That is too personal a decision for us to push them for change. There is always a chance that they will change their minds later, and if they don't, it is none of our business. Sometimes people give into the pressure to have children when they really don't want them. Then everyone is surprised when they turn out to be terrible parents, or indifferent parents (this is not to say that everyone who chooses not to have kids would be a bad parent). Those who know me know that I love to use analogies. One I see here is cooking. If someone expresses absolutely no interest in cooking, in fact loathes the idea of it, and you pressure them to cook--would you be surprised when they burn the meat, undercook the rice, and burn their fallen cake? No. Well, we also shouldn't be surprised when people pressured to become parents aren't nominated for parent of the year.

We each have our reasons for wanting to have children and for not wanting to have children. Some don't want to bear the children themselves but choose to adopt. Some are happy to see their nieces and nephews now and then. Whatever our choice, it is personal and it is fine.

Barbara
Old 07-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #27
Head Chef

Nick and I won't be having children for another few years, and I told him I want us to get married first and he agreed. We both want to be financially ready, and ready TOGETHER before we bring a child into our world. Nick will be an amazing dad :) He has a childish side and whenever he goes to his tutoring sessions he comes back as silly as ever! I'm also pretty silly too but more reserved, but I'm sure when I have a child I won't give a hoot what anyone thinks as long as he/she is happy!
Old 07-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Having children is not a necessary part of life. It is a decision that should be made carefully or you could be in for a lot of suprises.
I have to say that having children is a necessary part of life. At least, somebody has to have children or else we wouldn't exist. That being said, she's right that the decision should be made carefully. A person should be ready and willing to care for the children. I also feel sad for your friend, DramaQueen, who has children and does not want them. I particularly feel bad for the children. I truly believe that having children is important but loving them is more important. If a person cannot give their children a loving home than I suppose it is better not to have them. Too many problems in society stem from unloved children.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #29
Master Chef

I always liked Ann Lander's advice to couples who were always being pestered by "Why aren't you having kids yet and she'd advise them to respond "Why in the world would you want to know that?" In other words every couple has their own unique interdynamics and agenda and if it includes kids fine and if it doesn't fine.......noone should be judged by whether or not they want or do not want children. I had two and and they are wonderful adults......growing up with them was not the most of fun and thrills at times but they did bring a lot of fun and joy at the same time.....the teens were the pits. Would I want children now? No way----kid screamed and cried on and off the whole way from Frankfurt to KZ------mother was an idiot-------kept telling her that she was muy malo----very bad---yep just what a 3 year old wants to be told.........I wanted to smack the mother........but the child kept hitting a nerve in the back of my neck, too.......would have put up with it 20 years ago but not today...so everybody is different..........only point I will make here, ladies, if you really want to have a child but are putting it off until your mid30's and beyond, do realize that the biological clock ticks geometrically and not yearly.....you will reach a point in your genetic makeup where becoming pregnant may not work out for you........so keep in close contact with your gyns and have hormonal tests done to be sure that you're still fit and sound to keep putting it off........I actually had a friend who was in full menopause at aged 38 and had had 3 miscarriages. Her mother had her last one at age 39. So just beware of the consequences of waiting too late. And believe me you don't want a teen in during menopause (quote by my very wise Mother-in-law)
Old 07-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
OMG, thanks for the huge laugh JP and Lulu!!! Dogs as freeloaders! I love it. And Lulu, if you could see the inside of my minivan - your sister's dog's got nothing on my crew. But I don't think they actually ate the upholstery.
I always say my truck is nothing more than a dog house on wheels.