"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Our young generation are so heavily in debt that they have very little choice with regards to having children as both partners need to work to meet their commitments. Our home prices have doubled in less than tens years with rents following suit and with mortgage rates at 9% now there is little hope of many being able to afford children.
From this we have found that many of our young people have changed their priorities to spending their money on themselves by having the best of the best when buying a home. So much so that they need to have large homes with all the mod cons to out do the Jones' as if it were a competition.
When I was a contract builder the average family home was 10 squares, now they average at 22 squares. To top it off our cost of living has risen 40% over the past three years which puts further strain on their funds.
I feel sorry for those who genuinely want children but cannot afford them and also for those who have made the choice not to, simply because my children are my life.
Without doubt, had we not had children we would much better off financially now and possibly just as happy but we wouldn't be a family.
What I have also noticed is that very few marry now, they just become partners. I must be old fashioned because I feel that that piece of paper is a very important document to have.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #32
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by attie View Post
What I have also noticed is that very few marry now, they just become partners. I must be old fashioned because I feel that that piece of paper is a very important document to have.
I don't think you are old fashioned, and I agree.

Barbara

Old 07-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I don't think you are old fashioned, and I agree.

Barbara

Hey, I'm only 24, and I agree too
Old 07-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #34
Master Chef

I wouldn't trade my kids for anything in the world, but I don't think I have ever stopped to ask someone else why they didn't have kids. I figure if they don't want em they don't want em, or if they can't have them I would be bringing up a touchy subject.
Whatever their reason, I never felt the need to push my beliefs on them.

And I agree on the piece of paper.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #35
Executive Chef

I used to think the piece of paper was really important but now I've mellowed. I just think it's important when you decide to have children together.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:12 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
OK, this could make me seem like some sort of paranoid shut in or just a grouchy old man with a horrible pessimistic outlook, but it's my honest answer to the question.

Let me start by saying that I love kids. I have two god-children now and have been named honorary uncle by many friends who have kids. I'm told I'm great with them. I know I get along really well with them.

That said, I just don't really feel like it's a very good world that today's kids get to inherit. There are many factors including pollution, exhaustion of resources (fuel, food, wood, clean air, drinking water, even the metals we build with are showing signs of running out), the erosion of our civil liberties and more. I think all of these trends will continue on a world wide basis until it is far too late to do anything about it.

OK, now I've written a complete downer of a post for a nice cheery thread. My apologies, and I hope you don't all think of me as a nutcase from here on in.

Russ
Old 07-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #37
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellkhan View Post
...I hope you don't all think of me as a nutcase from here on in.

Russ
A nutcase? No. Someone expressing his opinion? Yep!

Barbara
Old 07-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #38
Master Chef

Thats nothing Russell, I once heard a lady (standing out front of her little mansion in Evanston near the shore) say, "The problem with the world today is only stupid and inferior people are breading...".
Old 07-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
OK, this could make me seem like some sort of paranoid shut in or just a grouchy old man with a horrible pessimistic outlook, but it's my honest answer to the question.

Let me start by saying that I love kids. I have two god-children now and have been named honorary uncle by many friends who have kids. I'm told I'm great with them. I know I get along really well with them.

That said, I just don't really feel like it's a very good world that today's kids get to inherit. There are many factors including pollution, exhaustion of resources (fuel, food, wood, clean air, drinking water, even the metals we build with are showing signs of running out), the erosion of our civil liberties and more. I think all of these trends will continue on a world wide basis until it is far too late to do anything about it.

OK, now I've written a complete downer of a post for a nice cheery thread. My apologies, and I hope you don't all think of me as a nutcase from here on in.

Russ
I don't think you're a nutcase at all, Russ. You sound like someone who has given serious thought to this issue and Bravo to you for that!!! That's all stuff our kids will be dealing with and it's real. People don't have to become parents to still have a positive impact on the next generation and it sounds like you're doing that, too! (Are you single?)
Old 07-03-2008, 06:33 PM   #40
Sous Chef

Quote:

Russ
Aw, come on. There's a lot of good right alongside the bad. Think of all the cool technologies we have. We have way more free time than lots of our ancestors. We have amazing medical technology. I could go on for hours naming the good. We just have to teach our kids to face the bad, stand up to it, or ,make it better and enjoy what's good.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote