"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #51
Senior Cook

Without reading this whoe thread (I am working).

I wanted to say I do not see anything wrong with people who do not wish to have kids. It is their lives and their choice and I do not think it is selfish in the slightest.

I have two kids myself with one on the way and love being a father. I love my kids to bits and would not go back to being childless for any money in the world. There is just something heart warming getting up in the cold winter mornings, your two year old hears you pottering around before work and gets out of bed to come give you a cuddle.

But, there are times when I lament the loss of freedom. Once you have kids, your life becomes your kids. You lose a lot of freedom to just go do something, as your kids have a nap/feed schedule etc. You will quickly find your conversation topics generally revolve around your kids also.

Some people just do not wish to give up their freedom which is totally fine. Some people just don't like kids which is also totally fine. Some people want 10 kids which is also totally fine as it makes up for those who do not want kids.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth. Who am I to judge someone elses decision?

Old 07-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Thanks for your positive comments, Adillo, Attie and Saphaelle. It was so much fun to watch the two lovely little red-headed girls playing on the beach, making sandcastles together when they were here visiting. My son and his family love China; they just signed up for two more years there. There are challenges to be sure, but the people are warm and friendly and eager to learn. And there is beauty to be seen there everywhere you look. As you can imagine, having children for me was one of the best things I've ever done with my life. Both of my children are good, compassionate people who will have a positive effect on countless people as they go through life. I'm very proud of them. (And they both called me today and said "I love you, Mom)
I wish kids in this country would stay kids instead of trying to be grown up especially the girls I sure it's because of all the crap they watch on TV. As I said before DHs granddaughter is coming to visit and she is only 10 and she wears a bra and stuffs it with tissue. Can't wait to see what else when she gets here.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #53
Master Chef

My daughter is also 10, and is in a training bra... or so I am told cause she is still my little girl and I am in complete denial... but she isn't going around stuffing it, and she is not wearing it for kicks it is something she needs.
I have heard they believe there is a link to BHG in milk and girls developing early, they also have found data suggesting overweight girls will develop more quickly than girls that are at or below their recommended weight.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:52 PM   #54
Senior Cook

Never had kids never wanted them. I have friends who had them and wish they didn't, friends who never had any and are happy and friends who have kids and love them to pieces. It is all a matter of choice and fate. We made the choice long ago and have never questioned it, we knew that we would not be good parent material. I will be a good kitty parent, they never ask for the car.
Cin
Old 07-03-2008, 11:05 PM   #55
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick
I have heard they believe there is a link to BHG in milk and girls developing early,
You know, Mav, I wondered about that when they were here. GD is 11, tall and slim like her dad, and still looks just like a little girl (no development yet). I wonder if their being out of the country (not drinking US milk) for several years has anything to do with that?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:23 PM   #56
Master Chef

Yea, only its BGH not BHG, I got the letters mixed up LOL. I have met several parents who avoided any milk or dairy with any link to BGH or other hormones, etc that they enhance this stuff with and non of them have kids developing early.
Hard to say as the study is in its infancy still I think, but food for though so to speak...
Old 07-03-2008, 11:27 PM   #57
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
You know, Mav, I wondered about that when they were here. GD is 11, tall and slim like her dad, and still looks just like a little girl (no development yet). I wonder if their being out of the country (not drinking US milk) for several years has anything to do with that?
Oh, yes they are better off. In the states most of the milk and meat is from cows that have been injected with growth hormones ,steroids and antibiotics. Breast cancer has also been linked with growth hormones.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:37 PM   #58
Executive Chef

Mav, I assume you mean BGH as Bovine Growth Hormones. They want to grow animals as fast as they can as to make money as fast as they can. In the mean time it's hurting the children and us in a serious molecular way.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:39 PM   #59
Master Chef

Yea that's the stuff JPM, at first I switched the letters and thought that might confuse some so I wanted to correct myself, LOL.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:46 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Yea that's the stuff JPM, at first I switched the letters and thought that might confuse some so I wanted to correct myself, LOL.
Either way it's really bad stuff