Nocturnal adventures?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Who out there walks in their sleep. I do it about once a decade (when I was younger, more often). Last night I woke up on my guest room floor. My hip hurts like hades. Usually it's in times of stress, but can't think of why last night?

I talk in my sleep quite often, and I'm a toss-and-turner. But I've only (that I know of) walked in my sleep one other time, since we moved here, and the same thing happened. I woke on the floor in my guest room. this is a room I seldom use, maybe once a month I go in, and rarely using the steps I want to replace because they're unsafe. My library book was by my bed, along with my bottle of water (three reasons I get up in the night, and do so many times:, (I'm an insomniac) thirsty, need to pee, and book is for occupying my mind when I cannot sleep). I cannot imagine why I went into that room. :(

Anyone know anything about this (that is to say sleep-walking?). Anyone else do it?

Not really sleep walking, but until about ten years ago I would wake up kneeling by my bed with just my head, shoulders & arms on the bed. There was never any sign that I'd gone anywhere. I woke up because my knees hurt. Sometimes I'd get back in bed and do it again the same night. My current bed is higher than the previous ones so that might be why I stopped.

With one of my babies, I used to get up and feed her and not even wake up. I would get up, pick her up and nurse her on both sides and put her back in her crib. My husband would watch me in case I did something dangerous. But he never woke me up. The only thing I didn't do was change her diaper. So he would get up and do it. I just continued to sleep. I would do this a couple of times a week. Then when I stopped nursing, and went to the bottle, I stopped. I would wake up completely in the night for her if she cried. But that wasn't often because by that time she was sleeping the night through. :)

I walked in my sleep at least once every year or two from a young age, through my earlier teens. When I was six, my mom said I walked into the living room with a bedspread over my head and said, "Trick or treat!"

A few times (within a couple weeks of each other) when I was around 11 or 12 I woke up in bed with my sister and once at 6th grade camp I woke up in bed with my bunk bed mate. I was in the bottom bunk and she was in the top. When I woke up, she was lying on my hair so it took me a few minutes to get up. That was the last time I ever sleep-walked into someone else's bed, thank goodness!

The last time I can remember sleep-walking (I don't actually remember it, but my mom told me about it) was when I was 13 or 14. My dad and I used to go jogging in the evenings, and one night (my mom and dad were still up) my mom said that I walked to the front door, said, "Oh, I forgot my tennis shoes," then went back to bed.

As far as I know I don't sleep-walk anymore, but I do talk in my sleep now and then, and even worse than sleep-walking, I have night terrors. If you do a search here at DC, you will find a thread about night terrors, where I describe some of my most vivid ones. They range from silly (bees flying around the light fixture) to terrifying (ground opening up and huge sharp metal blades coming up from the ground). Once I thought I saw James standing over me with a knife, and I woke him up (poor guy!) by bringing my elbow down into his stomach very hard! Fortunately I don't have night terrors too often, and most of them are as simple as looking for a pen I thought I lost in the bed. (I probably covered most of what I wrote in the other thread!). :LOL:

Last edited:
In my teens I would wake up and take a shower or wash my hair in the middle of the night. Later in life I have rearranged a few items in my bedroom, got up and knocked on a wall painting asking to go to the bathroom :wacko: < My ex saw this one :LOL:

In my teens I would wake up and take a shower or wash my hair in the middle of the night. Later in life I have rearranged a few items in my bedroom, got up and knocked on a wall painting asking to go to the bathroom :wacko: < My ex saw this one :LOL:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Was it Mona Lisa in the bathroom doing her hair and makeup?

My baby sister still walks in her sleep, she gets up in the middle of the night and cooks eggs. She won't eat eggs if she is awake, not only does she fry them up, but when she's done she washes and dries the dishes and puts them away.

I have found myself standing in the kitchen on my way to answer call lights and I talk in my sleep.

I used to sleep walk as a child (according to my mother), and in my early 20's. From what I have read, it's best not to wake a sleepwalker. I was worried I might walk out nekkid and go for a drive; but read one would not do anything while asleep that one would do while awake. I've watched some shows where people do very strange things while sleeping & don't recall, i.e. overeating - going to the kitchen & preparing meals, & couldn't figure out why they were overweight. I've heard of sleep disorder centers & watched some very bizarre behaviour. Just this morning, I heard about one of the Kennedys slumped over the wheel (supposedly having taken Ambian). Have watched criminal cases where the "defense" was sleepwalking. Very strange. If it interferes with one's life, seek out the pros.

Last edited:
If you don't sleep nekkid, you wouldn't have to worry about that part, but going for a drive in your sleep is a possibility. I have put bells on our doors, they are still there from when I was taking Ambien and Shrek had to return me to bed several nights in a row. I was so out he couldn't wake me up, but luckily I was okay with going back to bed.

30 minutes after taking Ambien I was also prone to having conversations that I did not remember before going to bed.

Last edited:
If you don't sleep nekkid, you wouldn't have to worry about that part, but going for a drive in your sleep is a possibility. I have put bells on our doors, they are still there from when I was taking Ambien and Shrek had to return me to bed several nights in a row. I was so out he couldn't wake me up, but luckily I was okay with going back to bed.

30 minutes after taking Ambien I was also prone to having conversations that I did not remember before going to bed.
My sister-in-law's doctor prescribed Ambien for her several years ago. He told her to make sure she had finished doing everything she needed to do before taking it. As soon as she took it she went to the bathroom and then was headed to bed. It acted so fast that she fell sound asleep on the toilet! When the doctor said to be done with everything, he meant everything! :LOL:

My sister-in-law's doctor prescribed Ambien for her several years ago. He told her to make sure she had finished doing everything she needed to do before taking it. As soon as she took it she went to the bathroom and then was headed to bed. It acted so fast that she fell sound asleep on the toilet! When the doctor said to be done with everything, he meant everything! :LOL:

I'm trying to figure out how patients can fight it and not sleep.:ermm: I took it for a month, slept well, awoke refreshed. But the sleep wandering and the waking amnesia did not fly with me.

I take it Ambien is a sleep aid. I am not fond of mind altering drugs. I took myself of Wellbutrin. I have no idea why I was on it. When I found out it was used as an anti-depressant, I stopped taking it and tossed the rest. I don't think I have ever been depressed. I am more of a fighter and conniver on how to get better on my own, if the medical folks can't help. And I always come out on the winning end. :ermm:

Yes, Ambien is a sleep aid and I need help to sleep or I will not sleep. At the time I was not sleeping for days at a time and in that condition I was a danger to myself and others. Turned out I just needed my anti-depressant increased and I'm all left again! Hormonal imbalances were making me a basket case.

Yes, Ambien is a sleep aid and I need help to sleep or I will not sleep. At the time I was not sleeping for days at a time and in that condition I was a danger to myself and others. Turned out I just needed my anti-depressant increased and I'm all left again! Hormonal imbalances were making me a basket case.

I have never had all the female problems with hormones and menopaus that most women suffer with. But having seen so mnay of my friends go through hell, I can certainly understand. In turn though, I have had more than my share of other major medical problems.

The only times I got a little loopy with hormonal problems was each time I was pregnant. And I couldn't even stand myself. I don't know how others put up with me. But once that baby was born, I was right back to normal. :)

By-the-way, the painful hip? The day I started this, I was hobbling around OK enough that morning, but it got worse through the day. Around 4 p.m. I realized there was no way my husband could get me in the car (many steps from house to garage uphill in one direction, to the street downhill in the other), the pain had gotten so bad. Called my local doc and was told to call ambulance and get to ER. Very small town, called 911 and immediately said, NO EMERGENCY and explained the situation and that hubby and I would meet them at the top of the front porch steps. No lights or sirens, please. Ironically one of the EMTs was a previous owner of our home and knew exactly where & why I fell (will have those steps fixed). They X-rayed me, next thing I knew I was in ambulance #2 on my way to Dubuque. Fractured hip, do NOT move. By trying to "gut it out" I'd exacerbated the problem. Had emergency surgery that night (10 p.m. Weds P.M.).

Fun, fun. Am home now. The first 48 hours at home were enough to make me feel suicidal, but now I'm doing reasonably well. Was told all around that having tried to keep in good condition all these years (weight lifting, pilates, and zumba in the past year) will stand me well in recovery.

And, yes, I too have night terrors. Have never tried a sleep aid, sometimes am tempted. I seem to have every sleep disorder known to mankind (well, not apnea, so could be worse!).

OMG, Claire. Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery for you.

Eeks! A fractured hip! OMG.

Last edited:
Fractured hip. I am so fearful of having one from falliing. My heart goes out to you. I have seen so many elderly folks with this problem. No fun for anyone. The patient or family. Please take care of yourself. Do whatever the doctor says. I am glad that the pain got so severe that it stopped you in your tracks before you did anymore damage. God knows what he is doing when you try to tough it out.

My prayers and thoughts are with you and wishing you a speedy recovery. :angel:

(((Hugs Claire))). I'm so sorry to read about the fractured hip.

Now, my mini lecture: Mother Nature didn't invent pain to be mean. She invented it to tell you, "Don't do that!".

I surprised the heck out of the doctor at the ER when I broke my kneecap. He had it X-rayed from all sorts of angles. He had never seen that kind of fracture with no displacement before. It was broken horizontally all the way across. It hadn't budged at all in any direction. I explained my theory on pain and he laughed. He said he wished more people would listen to the pain.

(((Hugs Claire))). I'm so sorry to read about the fractured hip.

Now, my mini lecture: Mother Nature didn't invent pain to be mean. She invented it to tell you, "Don't do that!".

I surprised the heck out of the doctor at the ER when I broke my kneecap. He had it X-rayed from all sorts of angles. He had never seen that kind of fracture with no displacement before. It was broken horizontally all the way across. It hadn't budged at all in any direction. I explained my theory on pain and he laughed. He said he wished more people would listen to the pain.

I hear ya TL. I have a high tolerance for pain. But when I reach my limit, I STOP. One time I tried to work through the pain in my hip and spine. I ended up on the floor until it subsided. Lesson learned. Right now I am going between cleaning the kitchen and sitting here until the pain subsides. It may take me longer to finish the kitchen, but I won't end up on the floor again. :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom