"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
Master Chef

Nocturnal adventures?

Who out there walks in their sleep. I do it about once a decade (when I was younger, more often). Last night I woke up on my guest room floor. My hip hurts like hades. Usually it's in times of stress, but can't think of why last night?

I talk in my sleep quite often, and I'm a toss-and-turner. But I've only (that I know of) walked in my sleep one other time, since we moved here, and the same thing happened. I woke on the floor in my guest room. this is a room I seldom use, maybe once a month I go in, and rarely using the steps I want to replace because they're unsafe. My library book was by my bed, along with my bottle of water (three reasons I get up in the night, and do so many times:, (I'm an insomniac) thirsty, need to pee, and book is for occupying my mind when I cannot sleep). I cannot imagine why I went into that room.

Anyone know anything about this (that is to say sleep-walking?). Anyone else do it?

Old 07-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Not really sleep walking, but until about ten years ago I would wake up kneeling by my bed with just my head, shoulders & arms on the bed. There was never any sign that I'd gone anywhere. I woke up because my knees hurt. Sometimes I'd get back in bed and do it again the same night. My current bed is higher than the previous ones so that might be why I stopped.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

With one of my babies, I used to get up and feed her and not even wake up. I would get up, pick her up and nurse her on both sides and put her back in her crib. My husband would watch me in case I did something dangerous. But he never woke me up. The only thing I didn't do was change her diaper. So he would get up and do it. I just continued to sleep. I would do this a couple of times a week. Then when I stopped nursing, and went to the bottle, I stopped. I would wake up completely in the night for her if she cried. But that wasn't often because by that time she was sleeping the night through.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I walked in my sleep at least once every year or two from a young age, through my earlier teens. When I was six, my mom said I walked into the living room with a bedspread over my head and said, "Trick or treat!"

A few times (within a couple weeks of each other) when I was around 11 or 12 I woke up in bed with my sister and once at 6th grade camp I woke up in bed with my bunk bed mate. I was in the bottom bunk and she was in the top. When I woke up, she was lying on my hair so it took me a few minutes to get up. That was the last time I ever sleep-walked into someone else's bed, thank goodness!

The last time I can remember sleep-walking (I don't actually remember it, but my mom told me about it) was when I was 13 or 14. My dad and I used to go jogging in the evenings, and one night (my mom and dad were still up) my mom said that I walked to the front door, said, "Oh, I forgot my tennis shoes," then went back to bed.

As far as I know I don't sleep-walk anymore, but I do talk in my sleep now and then, and even worse than sleep-walking, I have night terrors. If you do a search here at DC, you will find a thread about night terrors, where I describe some of my most vivid ones. They range from silly (bees flying around the light fixture) to terrifying (ground opening up and huge sharp metal blades coming up from the ground). Once I thought I saw James standing over me with a knife, and I woke him up (poor guy!) by bringing my elbow down into his stomach very hard! Fortunately I don't have night terrors too often, and most of them are as simple as looking for a pen I thought I lost in the bed. (I probably covered most of what I wrote in the other thread!).
Old 07-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Sous Chef

In my teens I would wake up and take a shower or wash my hair in the middle of the night. Later in life I have rearranged a few items in my bedroom, got up and knocked on a wall painting asking to go to the bathroom < My ex saw this one
Old 07-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
In my teens I would wake up and take a shower or wash my hair in the middle of the night. Later in life I have rearranged a few items in my bedroom, got up and knocked on a wall painting asking to go to the bathroom < My ex saw this one
Was it Mona Lisa in the bathroom doing her hair and makeup?
Old 07-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My baby sister still walks in her sleep, she gets up in the middle of the night and cooks eggs. She won't eat eggs if she is awake, not only does she fry them up, but when she's done she washes and dries the dishes and puts them away.

I have found myself standing in the kitchen on my way to answer call lights and I talk in my sleep.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Was it Mona Lisa in the bathroom doing her hair and makeup?

maybe ^^
Old 07-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Head Chef

I used to sleep walk as a child (according to my mother), and in my early 20's. From what I have read, it's best not to wake a sleepwalker. I was worried I might walk out nekkid and go for a drive; but read one would not do anything while asleep that one would do while awake. I've watched some shows where people do very strange things while sleeping & don't recall, i.e. overeating - going to the kitchen & preparing meals, & couldn't figure out why they were overweight. I've heard of sleep disorder centers & watched some very bizarre behaviour. Just this morning, I heard about one of the Kennedys slumped over the wheel (supposedly having taken Ambian). Have watched criminal cases where the "defense" was sleepwalking. Very strange. If it interferes with one's life, seek out the pros.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

If you don't sleep nekkid, you wouldn't have to worry about that part, but going for a drive in your sleep is a possibility. I have put bells on our doors, they are still there from when I was taking Ambien and Shrek had to return me to bed several nights in a row. I was so out he couldn't wake me up, but luckily I was okay with going back to bed.

30 minutes after taking Ambien I was also prone to having conversations that I did not remember before going to bed.