"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #11
Master Chef

Comcast has it here on HD, feel free to send the TV here anytime! LOL. Also it was my understanding they are moving to all HD end of this year?
Comcast said it won't effect any TV on thier digital receiver, which we have two that are. Don't know about the other two, guess I will find out when the time comes.
DW does NOT view an HD TV is a requirement... poor misguided soul that she is.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't know about all HD. I do know they are all going to a digital signal, which isn't the same as HD. For instance, my nearby city has four stations, all broadcasting digital, but none in HD. Some places do have network stations that broadcast in HD.
I'm sure it's only a matter of time though.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:30 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

That is right. Digital and HD are two different things. In Feb 0f 09 all TV signals will have to go digital. That has nothing to do with HD.

All the major networks are required to be in HD already. Before you know it, the majority of people will be viewing HD and regular TV will be like what black and white TV is now.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:41 PM   #14
Master Chef

Then I guess I will be among the 'black and white' crowd, unless they bring their prices down to something a little more reasonable.
Which they probably would have already if the networks and consumers weren't being forced into it...
Old 02-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

I think you might still be a little confused Maverick. The networks and consumers are not being forced into HD. That is still just an extra option that you have. If you want to stay with regular def then you still have that option and no one is talking about getting rid of it.

Prices on HD will start to come down. They have already dropped dramatically, but bigger drops will happen too, just like what happened when computers first came out.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #16
Master Chef

It's giving me a headache! LOL. So how does going digital effect me? Will all of my TV's have to have a digital converter to work now?
I know my computer's analog TV tuner will no longer work... grrrrr.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
It's giving me a headache! LOL. So how does going digital effect me? Will all of my TV's have to have a digital converter to work now?
I know my computer's analog TV tuner will no longer work... grrrrr.
If you have cable or satellite tv you will have no problems if you still use an outside antenna you need a converter the government is issuing coupons for $40.00 the converter can cost between $40.00 -$70.00 you can get them at Walmart,Radio Shack etc
Old 02-14-2008, 09:24 PM   #18
Master Chef

I am sorry, I know I am being a pain and hijacked the thread. I guess what I am trying to figure out is if all of my TVs will work hooked straight up to cable, or if they will need the cable companies converter boxes to work. I ask because they charge $5 per converter, first one free. I have two converters and four TV's hooked up. So right now I am paying $5 for the two I have, if they all need the converters from the cable company then it will go up to $15.
I don't have an aerial antenna anymore, but still have the dual LNB DirectTV dish on top of the roof. I know if I go back to DirectTV each TV would need a receiver, just wondering if the same will be true for hooking them up to cable. I though some TV's did come with digital tuners built in?
Believe it or not, I did ask the cable company and they couldn't even tell me for sure!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

From my understanding you will either need a digital TV (different from HDTV) or you will need a digital converter. The converter will be a one time charge. You will buy it and own it. I think you will be able to use that regardless of cable service, but I am not positive.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:04 PM   #20
Master Chef

Thanks guys for all the info, at least now I know which questions to ask, and have an idea of how to deal with this when the time comes. I think first I need to check to see if my two newest TV's have digital tuners or analog tuners. Probably analog my luck.
But at least it doesn't seem as confusing or prohibitive as I thought it might be.