NORM: Yen for fine steak? Dish out top dollar (190 bucks for 10ounce steak)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2005/Sep-30-Fri-2005/news/3610535.html

From article:

Granted, many of the jaw-dropping prices are the result of more Kobe beef being served. Take Shintaro, the Japanese eatery at Bellagio, where the 10-ounce Washugyu Kobe tenderloin is going for $190. Shintaro's 12-ounce sirloin commands $170.

Over at Bradley Ogden, the high-end restaurant at Caesars Palace, the 8-ounce Kobe steak goes for $175.

Also cracking the $100 barrier: Craftsteak at the MGM Grand, with a 10-ounce Kobe filet mignon price at $100. On the cusp: a 14-ounce Kobe ribeye for $98.

So much U.S. beef has topped the $50-a-steak mark that we couldn't count them. Among the highest: Michael's at the Barbary Coast offers a 20-ounce New York prime aged Black Angus sirloin for $75, and filet mignon for $68.

Yes, it's outrageous, agrees Russell Anzevino, assistant maitre d' at Michael's, "but it's got to do with the availability of prime beef. In the days of the $20 steak, prime beef was plentiful. Now one percent of beef is deemed prime now."

Prime beef, he said, "is deemed just like a vintage wine. It goes through an auction. It's very rare, almost like diamonds."

It better be a great tasting steak if it is going to cost 190 bucks to put it on my plate!!

We went out last night, and I had a beautiful Kobe beef flatiron steak for $35. Some of these places just get ridiculous, and charge because of the name, and that everyone knows in Japan it's so expensive.

I guess I'm lucky. My local grocer Corti Bros. regularly has USDA prime beef. A few weeks ago they had prime boneless ribeyes, absolutely gorgeous melt in your mouth, on sale for 13.99/lb. down from the regular 19.99/lb.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom