"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Thanks guys! Yes, we have motion detectors, alarm system, husband who is 6'5" (but not always home) and the peep hole at my front door IS the front door LOL I will keep outside lights on from now on. PAB - thanks for the link!

Katie E - I will now carry my house phone with me/cell phone in my pocket. I swear, but just talking to you guys helps.

I found out about it on the news so yes, the police have been notified and he has a bad bite mark on his shoulder/arm area. They are asking anyone who knows anyone with a bite mark there to contact the police. DNA has been sent to the SBI office.

*amy* - our windows haven't been opened since "THOSE" painters painted them shut 10 years ago - if "he" gets them opened he will probably run due to my elated screams of joy!!!!!

LEFSE - that is some scary story!!!! I noticed today that the pillows that WERE on my loveseat/rocker on the front porch are now sitting on the coffee table/ice chest - I now find that disturbing!

Grilling Fool - please check your PM's.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:54 PM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

There's definitely some good advice here. Taking a shower is always the worst for me--I hear a lot of things that aren't really there. I always bring the phone in with me if I'm alone--partly in case someone were to break in, but also for if I slip and fall, have a heart attack, etc., I would be able to call 911. If you are really concerned, you might even want to ask a friend to come over for awhile so you can take your shower in peace.

Barbara

Old 02-05-2008, 03:57 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Not much to worry about on the ranch.But I keep a Berreta 92 FS close by and a shotgun. No kids living here.The one time I got nervous was when the ranch fired a guy and he displayed all the behavior of going postal and I still think he may show up anytime in the next few years. You can get inexpensive alarms for your doors and windows at Walmart they are as loud as a smoke detector. Put a couple of Beware of Dog signs up. Also if your car has an alarm on it that works from your key chain carry it with you at all times on a chain if you want then if something is going on hit the alarm to your car that should scare anyone away.Keep it around you at all times.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Maybe you could also start a Neighborhood Watch group.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
*amy* - our windows haven't been opened since "THOSE" painters painted them shut 10 years ago - if "he" gets them opened he will probably run due to my elated screams of joy!!!!! ....
The point is, not to live in fear & take precautions. Unstick & open your windows & breathe. THEN, put pins in your windows & glass sliding doors. DO NOT live in fear. Just call (me) amy I don't want to go there, but when the bf was gone, I slept on the floor in front of my front door waiting for the you know what. I swore I would not live my life that way again. If someone wants into your home badly/desparately enough, there's little else you can do then protect yourself/home & family.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Barbara L - do you think there's a chance of me and Clooney becoming friends?

Thanks jp - someone stole my keys a few years ago with my "alarm" pad on it.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
The point is, not to live in fear & take precautions. Unstick & open your windows & breathe. THEN, put pins in your windows & glass sliding doors. DO NOT live in fear. Just call amy
I WISH I could open my windows - they won't open!!!! We tried to unstick a couple and the glass broke out and it's the original glass (92 years old) so we're not going to try to open anymore. I have no sliding doors so that's not an issue. I'm just going to live in precaution - precaution is good. I'm not going to let this get the best of me - it is now something I will have to think about and be aware of.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Thanks you two! I always try to be aware of my surroundings and I will certainly "up" that awareness. I used to have a gun but my ex wouldn't give it to me when I left It might not be a bad idea about the training - thanks.
There are some great training programs out there I should take a class myself .Its legal in New Mexico to carry a concealed weapon if you take a special course and get licensed.
We have a sign on front of house DH made out of metal that has a gun outlined on it and it says." We dont dial 911"
Old 02-05-2008, 04:10 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Barbara L - do you think there's a chance of me a Clooney becoming friends?

Thanks jp - someone stole my keys a few years ago with my "alarm" pad on it.
Then go to dealer and order another set.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:13 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Can't you program a cell phone to automatically dial 911 with just the push of one button? I think so. I recommend that. I also recommend the Model 36 Smith & Wesson. It's an excellent personal defense weapon for a lady! Small, simple to understand and operate. My wife and daughter own and carry one....With one lying close by... you can enjoy your leisurely bubble bath!

Stay Safe!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote