Normally I am never afraid to be home alone...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
World!

I don't think anyplace is safe today! Just the other morning around 10, I was doing dishes. The door to our house is in front of the window. This kid comes running through the yard, right to the door and if it would have been unlocked he would have come in. He even saw me standing at the window! When it was locked he ran around the house probably to someone else's house.

I think dogs are more than just companion. They warn you if something is no right and I honestly feel they can 'sense' if someone is around who shouldn't be. that is why I am trying to find replacement for the two I lost last year. They always gave me some kind of warning when anyone around. Of course, cats were something THEY didn't like. Barked about them too. I know you have to care for them and everything like a person but the insurance to me is worth it. I do worry when I take a shower but having that guy walk up to my door like that I can expect anything. You don't have to be a young thing either. If they break in you may just be in the way or some other stupid reason. They say the jails are too full so they are out on the streets.

Just have to leave it to a higher power. He can remove the fear you have. May sound odd but the results are what I consider.

kitchenelf, I am sorry that you have this feeling. You have lot of people who care about you on this site. That should make you feel comforted somewhat. Try to give you positive advice. It can make a person so weak. Do you have good neighbors? That is first thing I would think about. Some of my neighbors are good people. The ones across the street have always gave me reason to fear. The woman is just a controlling person and she wants me to live the way she does. Life just doesn't work that way. Just don't let it stop you from living.

:)Then go to dealer and order another set.

They said it would take re-keying the whole car - around $400 or some nonsense!

UB - Yes, Smith & Wesson also beats 4 aces, correct? :cool:

Thanks so much ITK - this feeling won't run my life - I promise. I'll get ticked before that EVER has a chance to happen!

Kitchenelf said:
UB - Yes, Smith & Wesson also beats 4 aces, correct? :cool:

:LOL: That would be correct, and in some instances it works much better than two locks, two chains, a peep hole and a barking dog! Locks are designed to keep "honest" people out... not criminals intent on coming in.

Also if your car has an alarm on it that works from your key chain carry it with you at all times on a chain if you want then if something is going on hit the alarm to your car that should scare anyone away.Keep it around you at all times.

Our car came with two of them. I received the exact same advice in an email today. The car alarm will go off until , either you shut it off, or the battery dies. It's a great free alarm. Stay safe, KE!

All such good advice.
All I can think of was keeping the phone close to you at all times. Make sure all windows and doors are locked. Keep all drapes closed. Keep a kitchen knife or anything that can used as a weapon right beside you. Will be thinking of you.

We live on a short road that has only one way in and out and I suppose that has kept meaness to a minimum, but we do have a security alarm also. So far the most scary thing I've had was once when my dh was out of town and our neighbor's cows broke the fence down and came in the yard. I kept hearing something clomp around rather heavily and turned on the back lights to see some of them near the pool. The neighbor got quite a laugh out of it, but it scared me pretty good. KE, I hope you never have anything any worse that that case.

Our house would be difficult to break into, but if could be done.

Although our dog is small, her bark is loud, and I have a lot of fire power to back me up.

In our old neighborhood, one door down the street from us, a lady was raped durning the daytime. My one son (who was about 5 years old at the time)was there playing with one of her sons that afternoon. Thank God he came home when he did. The creep got in the house and raped her in front of her little boys. The police came and told me about it later. He said , please, keep your doors locked at all times. So I know how you are feeling. I hope and pray they catch the jerk in your neighborhood soon. Please be aware at all times what is going on around you.

I thought, back in Sept, when we moved out here, that we wouldn't have to worry about something like this happening. Well, the vacant house next to us was broken into several times since we moved in (who wants to steal a water heater???). Last week, I saw something laying on the road while I was waiting for one the kids's bus. It was a small leather bag, and full of stuff. I opened it up, and found about a dozen syringes, a spoon, about 20 pennies, and a precision screwdriver. Great! Just what we need in the neighborhood, druggies!

I like the cattle prod idea. I may have to look into one of those. And, nobody out here would question us getting one, as one of our neighbors has cattle, and they have a history of breaking out of their pasture.

There were already "Beware of Dog" signs on the fence when we moved in (previous tenants had Pit Bulls). Of course, our little chihuahua's like to bark and bark, but all they're going to do to someone is nip their heels.

I don't have any guns right now. I don't have any kind of secure storage to keep them away from my little ones, and a trigger lock would take to long to remove in a home-invasion situation. I would get a baseball bat or three, but, I know the kids would use them against each other.

You doing better now Vicky? Just remember to do all the precautionary things that are logical and then go about your business. Be careful, but don't let some nameless perv have power over you. Be a Girl Scout, "Be Prepared". And then...carry a big stick. You go girl!

A 38 caliber police special is a very good deterent. Get a can or two of pepper spray
that stuff really works. some kinds of pepper spray has a color agent that won't wash off
When I lived in a bad neighborhood I had a out side alarm bell mounted in the apex of my roof and when it was rung it would raise the dead for a block around. Keep plenty of flood lights around your property and if you have to get a security company to install panic alarms that you wear around your neck and can push for help in a moments notice
I now live in a very secure senior liveing facility 16 floors up with very tight security but I still keep a loaded 12 gauge shot gun beside my bed in this day and age you could get hit over the head for a dime. Be secure as you can be

I was wondering KE how things are going for you of late?
Any better, feeling more confident or anything?
Anything changed?
Please keep us abreast of the details if there are any to share.
;)
I guess this is an example of bumping up threads. This though, I wanted to see how things are going and after reading it, I found it was not much new but had fallen to the 4th page.

Like Dave Hutchins I carry Mace pepper spray with me at all times when I'm in Houston. I went online and bought 4 of them and I would suggest that you keep one in your bathroom as well. Mine would disable an elephant, too, and quick to operate--that would give you time to cock your gun and shoot him--at least in Texas you're allowed to shoot someone who is legally invading your property. If no gun then you'd have time to exit your house after swinging your baseball bat. Yeah, be protected and armed and then get back to living---believe me this guy is going to get caught---the police hate guys like this and it's not nice to get the police mad at you!

I have two guns and three kids. They don't mix so the guns are disassembled and locked in the attic. There isn't a bullet in the house.
I have two burglar deterrent systems:

The Beagle: If we are not around to stop it from howling, the elderly neighbors on one side will call the police to ask it be stopped. The dog won't stop the burglar but the elderly neighbors calling the police will.

The Toy Fox Hound: If a burglar broke into the house and saw it barking at him, he would keel over with laughter until the police arrived to take him away.

I know it is a serious situation for you, but thought some humor might make you feel better. Laughter is the best medicine...

This is a very interesting thread to me. Living in a country with such a high crime rate I often think "I wish I could live in the US or Australia where it's safer" but reading this thread I once again realise that crime affects everyone around the world. We live in a house surrounded by walls and a remote controlled iron gate with 2 dogs (not big dogs but they make enough noise) and an alarm system that's always set when we go to bed. We drive cars that's not likely to be carjacked and I'll always wait until the gate closes before I drive further into my driveway. Been putting it off but will probably be buying a gun one of these days. It's become a way of life but still a bit sad that all of us have to live like this isn't it? I remember as a child we used to play outside until after dark and it was safe. Scary to think what the world will be like in another 20 years time . . .

I have read your discussions, I think that I am in more safer place than you.

I never afraid to be home alone (if I read horror stories then it is different), our neighbors are really good and very helpful, infact we are like a large family. (it is hard to believe but true)

radhundi, I lived in Mumbai for a year and NEVER felt unsafe from other people---what I felt unsafe about were the the panthers jumping the fence around the hotel where we were living which they had been known to do--several people were killed in surrounding areas and it's only because their territory was being encroached upon and they were hungry

Back
Top Bottom