"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 02-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #21
Executive Chef

I don't think anyplace is safe today! Just the other morning around 10, I was doing dishes. The door to our house is in front of the window. This kid comes running through the yard, right to the door and if it would have been unlocked he would have come in. He even saw me standing at the window! When it was locked he ran around the house probably to someone else's house.

I think dogs are more than just companion. They warn you if something is no right and I honestly feel they can 'sense' if someone is around who shouldn't be. that is why I am trying to find replacement for the two I lost last year. They always gave me some kind of warning when anyone around. Of course, cats were something THEY didn't like. Barked about them too. I know you have to care for them and everything like a person but the insurance to me is worth it. I do worry when I take a shower but having that guy walk up to my door like that I can expect anything. You don't have to be a young thing either. If they break in you may just be in the way or some other stupid reason. They say the jails are too full so they are out on the streets.

Just have to leave it to a higher power. He can remove the fear you have. May sound odd but the results are what I consider.

kitchenelf, I am sorry that you have this feeling. You have lot of people who care about you on this site. That should make you feel comforted somewhat. Try to give you positive advice. It can make a person so weak. Do you have good neighbors? That is first thing I would think about. Some of my neighbors are good people. The ones across the street have always gave me reason to fear. The woman is just a controlling person and she wants me to live the way she does. Life just doesn't work that way. Just don't let it stop you from living.

In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:26 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Then go to dealer and order another set.
They said it would take re-keying the whole car - around $400 or some nonsense!

UB - Yes, Smith & Wesson also beats 4 aces, correct?

Thanks so much ITK - this feeling won't run my life - I promise. I'll get ticked before that EVER has a chance to happen!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Kitchenelf
UB - Yes, Smith & Wesson also beats 4 aces, correct?

That would be correct, and in some instances it works much better than two locks, two chains, a peep hole and a barking dog! Locks are designed to keep "honest" people out... not criminals intent on coming in.
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:30 PM   #24
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Barbara L - do you think there's a chance of me and Clooney becoming friends?
I wouldn't count that out. I hear he is always up for a little action. And you're little.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:50 PM   #25
Executive Chef
Also if your car has an alarm on it that works from your key chain carry it with you at all times on a chain if you want then if something is going on hit the alarm to your car that should scare anyone away.Keep it around you at all times.
Our car came with two of them. I received the exact same advice in an email today. The car alarm will go off until , either you shut it off, or the battery dies. It's a great free alarm. Stay safe, KE!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Loprraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #26
Master Chef
All such good advice.
All I can think of was keeping the phone close to you at all times. Make sure all windows and doors are locked. Keep all drapes closed. Keep a kitchen knife or anything that can used as a weapon right beside you. Will be thinking of you.
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #27
Executive Chef
We live on a short road that has only one way in and out and I suppose that has kept meaness to a minimum, but we do have a security alarm also. So far the most scary thing I've had was once when my dh was out of town and our neighbor's cows broke the fence down and came in the yard. I kept hearing something clomp around rather heavily and turned on the back lights to see some of them near the pool. The neighbor got quite a laugh out of it, but it scared me pretty good. KE, I hope you never have anything any worse that that case.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #28
Master Chef
Our house would be difficult to break into, but if could be done.

Although our dog is small, her bark is loud, and I have a lot of fire power to back me up.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #29
Master Chef
In our old neighborhood, one door down the street from us, a lady was raped durning the daytime. My one son (who was about 5 years old at the time)was there playing with one of her sons that afternoon. Thank God he came home when he did. The creep got in the house and raped her in front of her little boys. The police came and told me about it later. He said , please, keep your doors locked at all times. So I know how you are feeling. I hope and pray they catch the jerk in your neighborhood soon. Please be aware at all times what is going on around you.
Don't let yesterday take up too much of today. Will
JoAnn L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:13 PM   #30
Executive Chef
I thought, back in Sept, when we moved out here, that we wouldn't have to worry about something like this happening. Well, the vacant house next to us was broken into several times since we moved in (who wants to steal a water heater???). Last week, I saw something laying on the road while I was waiting for one the kids's bus. It was a small leather bag, and full of stuff. I opened it up, and found about a dozen syringes, a spoon, about 20 pennies, and a precision screwdriver. Great! Just what we need in the neighborhood, druggies!

I like the cattle prod idea. I may have to look into one of those. And, nobody out here would question us getting one, as one of our neighbors has cattle, and they have a history of breaking out of their pasture.

There were already "Beware of Dog" signs on the fence when we moved in (previous tenants had Pit Bulls). Of course, our little chihuahua's like to bark and bark, but all they're going to do to someone is nip their heels.

I don't have any guns right now. I don't have any kind of secure storage to keep them away from my little ones, and a trigger lock would take to long to remove in a home-invasion situation. I would get a baseball bat or three, but, I know the kids would use them against each other.

Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote